main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Games of the XXXI Olympiad - Official Rio Summer Olympics (8/5-21) Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Mo, you're a legend! =D=^:)^

GB have now exceeded their medals tally from London and remain above China in the medals table; no chance of 30 Golds now, but a 28th is possible in the Boxing tomorrow. :)

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Slightly nervous for the men's basketball final tomorrow.

3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Why? They have Kyrie.

dp4m likes this.
  4. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    Gotta love the alternate universe where a Cavs player made a championship winning clutch shot.

....oh, wait, that's this universe :cool:

Juliet316 and LloydChristmas like this.
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    God, poor Tom Daley. His not even making the platform final is one of the most painful things I've seen in these, or indeed any, Olympics :(

6. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    His teammate Laugher scraped into the final in his discipline and went on to win the Silver. Once in the final anything can happen, but psychologically, if you're not right in the semi, then you will always struggle.

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Jenny Rissveds, from my town of Falun, took Sweden's second gold yesterday in the cross country mountainbike yesterday.

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Wonderful performance by Team GB. =D=

Knighthoods and Damehoods all round! [face_laugh]

9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Worst for me was Lutalo Muhammad losing the taekwondo final in literally the last second. One second away from gold and he gets a head shot. He was so distraught in the interview I could barely watch.

soitscometothis likes this.
  10. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    It's official: Team GB finish runners up on the Rio Olympics Medal Table. China cannot now catch them.

I still find it extraordinary that GB have improved on their London standings as well as their overall medal tally. It is unprecedented for an Olympic host to do this four years later. =D=

ShaneP and G-FETT like this.
  11. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Terrible bad luck for Peter Sagan in the cross country bike race - he started from the last, 50th position, managed to push his way all the way to the third position and keep pace with the leaders... And then he got a flat tyre on his front wheel. :( What a shame. He would definitely have been in the race for the medals, if it hadn't been for that - despite the fact that he's primarily a road racer and hasn't competed in mountain biking for years. Bah. :(

12. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Australia lose to Spain in the basketball bronze game. Perennial 4th placers. Gasol was dominant, shame Bogut fouled out. Pretty bad final play, though.

Hopefully they may win a medal in Tokyo with Simmons and Exum both to come into the team.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Late gold for US in 97 KG Wrestling..

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Group play, all but the first quarter was worrisome for the United States vs Serbia

In the gold medal game, only the first quarter is worrisome

15. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    They can actually, in fact, all European and South American teams were missing their best U-23 players as their call ups were refused by the clubs.

Neymar was allowed to go because the Brazilian FA made a deal with Barcelona: Neymar won't play in the Copa and in return he plays in the Olympics.

Diggy likes this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

Hmmm, I must be thinking of the GB team, and those lack of refusals were probably because the press would have hammered any club that did refuse.

17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I haven't seen one second of the Olympics, but I have been bombarded with news about it. Did "we" get a medal?
    I'm glad it's over. While the country I live in laments coming in just outside the top 10, I wonder about who is in it. Just rich countries.
    To me, the Olympics represent global inequality and a counterproductive boost to nationalist feelings.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Counter argument

USA! USA! USA!

Rew, Juliet316, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh god, i've watched so many olympics.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I have thave say, the NBC prime time coverage is so nauseating in its jingoistic propaganda, it would be out of place in North Korea.

And I wonder why they show so damn much of the women's beach volleyball.

SuperWatto likes this.
  21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    As for clubs not releasing their best players. The Swedish men's team got 54 refusals before it was possible to get a full squad. And people were still expecting us to do well, talk about delusional.

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    As usual, I've really enjoyed the Olympics. It's been cool to watch my country's team do OK and a privilege to be able to see the likes of Farah, Bolt and Phelps do their thing. So it's so long Rio and bring on Tokyo!

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Nothing like the Summer Olympics. Really enjoyed this last two weeks - unforgettable.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If all goes well, we are going to Tokyo in 2020. Olympics and Disney in one trip and th kids old enough to remember it. I have four years to brainwash them into supporting Team GB.

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I thought Tokyo Disneyland was closing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.