main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Gaming on a Sunday Afternoon: E3 2018

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 2, 2018.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Unless somebody pulls a crazy curveball I'm not expecting much like that this year. If anything a lot of companies seem to be announcing stuff ahead of their conferences so titles don't get lost in the shuffle - and what would have been a big one, Rage 2, got revealed in the infamous Canadian Wal-Mart leak.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

(it's a parody account, but still, lol)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Life and heels1785 like this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    EXCLUSIVE

but not really. Cool games. Bad conference for MS.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, a lot of "EXCLUSIVE!" going over "Console Launch Exclusive" intros.

So, an ok conference by MS. They showed enough games to surpass the lowered expectations going in, but not a lot to really get me excited for at all- except for Battletoads :D.

The Halo Infinite teaser is probably the most unexciting Halo teaser trailer ever- I mean, it's tough company because those are often among my favorites ever, but that didn't really have a hook. It almost seemed like it could have been another remake to the original game.

The looks-like-it-could-have-been-called-Bionic-Samurai game had some potential but lost me. Crackdown 3 should just be renamed "Terry Crews: The Game", in a good way. Metro-with-Raspy-Hondo oddly seemed to have better looking gameplay than cinematics despite all apparently being in-game renders.

Looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077- but really hoping it'll be on PS4 as well.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like almost every game had to either feature, or be set mostly within, an icy/wintery land? I mean, I love that type of environment but it was kinda losing its impact/getting a little silly by time they hit Gears 5 towards the end there.

5. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    The story for Gears 5 looks a lot more interesting than 4's was. Gears Tactics also looks like it could be good but from what I can make out it's only on PC so I won't be able to play it unless they put it on Xbox One as well.

The highlight for me though is Just Cause 4. I loved JC3 so I can't wait for this one. It's actually coming out this year too unlike most of the other games revealed which is great.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd be hugely surprised if it isn't.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I expect they'll announce it at Sony's show if they're announcing platforms now- just want confirmation.

edit- oh, and DMC5 looked fun.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh? I'll have to look at the DMC5 trailer tomorrow.

Hopefully the Tales of Vesperia remaster isn't XB exclusive.

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The Cyberpunk trailer was nice, but I'm pretty sure its multi-platform. Good for Microsoft to show the trailer first, but a lot of the trailers were multi-platform. If Cyberpunk was (console) exclusive, there would probably be more raging on the 'net by now. Not sure any were huge surprises, partially because of leaks and partially because it was obvious (oh, another Gears of War and Forza, as expected).

Glad Tales of Vesperia got a trailer. Not sure if its exclusive, don't think I saw a "only for xbox", but not sure. That would almost be funny considering Vesperia was originally part of Microsoft's attempt to break into the Japan market with the 360 (and failing). We should have confirmation soon.

The Jump Force trailer was a bit more surprising, as I thought Microsoft had given up on going for the Japanese fandom (compared to Vesperia's history). I wonder if its because Sony's conference will mainly be focusing on four big games so Microsoft went for quantity. New KH trailer (is every villain coming back?), but we already got the release date earlier.

Halo Infinite looked ok but honestly boring. Have they dropped the 6, is it a spin-off or something, what? Well, its still early and so hard to care. I think the Halo 5 early trailers had Master Chief in that cloak and facing a giant monster? Which was pretty different from the final game, so anything goes really.

Not bad conference, decent, but so far no huge shocks. If it had been Halo 6, maybe more obvious, and a lot of things probably won't be out until 2019 or later.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Bandai Namco Brazil accidentally tweeted it would be out for Bone, PS4, and Switch, and the official website leaked early with PS4 and Switch also listed, so... I'm guessing not. :p

Nobody145 and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This was also the first time I heard about the XB Game Pass service- and that actually sounds pretty cool. I'm still a physical games-first person (with certain exceptions for some portable titles) but by avoiding the problem of it being cloud-based like Sony's service, it seems like a very reasonable way of trying out some of the lesser profile titles that you might otherwise miss out on because you really can't drop $60 on them.

Life likes this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They were going to make this play regardless, the Bone's library is perceived as thin, and at this point in the generation you're principally targeting people looking to come in late (whose choice hasn't been made for them by their friends (which are basically automatically PS4 purchases at this point)) or who want both systems to pick up exclusives. While it's going to be interesting to contrast with Sony's approach, if it's as sparse and/or tight as they've made it sound, I don't think the "winner" matters anymore until we're staring down the PS5 and the... I dunno, Xbox Revengeance or whatever, and I think they both know it.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Xbox Two ;).

You know, you're right- with the "6" not present, maybe my guess at it being another remake of Halo 1 isn't that far off the mark and this is separate from H6. The title (in context with the trailer) would certainly fit a more multiplayer/online experience- something drawing in a more open world design.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Mark my words, set a reminder, whatever, even that makes more sense than what they'll actually go with.

Life and The2ndQuest like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

"Keeping It Real". ;)

Life and Ramza like this.
  16. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Xbox Minus One? They're doing so badly they're going into the negative numbers. :p Yeah, they're not actually doing that badly but hard to say they're winning.

I'm not sure if its better or worse that Microsoft goes first (EA doesn't count, except maybe for setting a low bar). They had some announcements, but much of this is likely multi-platform or was leaked before E3 (accidentally or intentionally) anyway. Sony and Nintendo have had a good track record the last few years (Nintendo especially is making a huge push).

And saw this tweet, now that is a burn.

17. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Xbox basically previewed E3 next year

18. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Metro Exodus, Tunic, and Cyberpunk 2077 all look great. Forza Horizon 3 still feels fresh so I'll probably skip 4. I wasn't itching for a Frozen world in KH3 but we all knew it was coming, really thankful that game isn't coming out until January giving me plenty of time to enjoy RDR2. Gears 5 should be good, surprised to see Kait taking over as the main character but she is more interesting than JD so I'm not complaining. Devil May Cry 5 looks really cool, but I've never played one of those games before so I'm curious to see if I need to play them to enjoy the new one. Crackdown was one of my favorite games from last gen but nothing about the new one has appealed to me so far. I hate the Terry Crews angle they're taking with it (and is it going to take place entirely at night?). A pretty dull conference overall, but some cool stuff shown. Looking forward to seeing more of Fallout 76 tonight.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yesterday we also got more information on the Neo Geo Minis:

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sure enough:

Our long international nightmare (of the best Tales game being confined to the family of systems Tales fans mostly didn't own) is finally over.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I guess I should get around to finally playing my GCN copy of Tales of Symphonia...

Nobody145 and Ramza like this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I doubt it could possibly be as mind-blowing for you as it was for an impressionable young Ramza standing on the precipice of a hardcore weeaboo phase back in 2004, but it's held up reasonably well.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oddly enough, even though I barely played it (only played for about 15 minutes before i was pulled away by something else), I still have some nostalgic allure from it from when I preordered it way back when and my general anticipation of it. Just got buried under an avalanche of epic games I acquired at a rapid rate around that time and almost all suffered the fate of the backlog shelf as a result.

As for Halo Infinite, it's apparently not a remake. From a Kotaku article:

“Halo Infinite will feature [a] new art style that draws significant inspiration from the most iconic and historic parts of the Halo franchise and your feedback, all while modernizing and taking advantage of the full power of the Xbox One family,” 343 wrote. “The new Master Chief helmet directly showcases our new art style.”

343 also responded to criticisms of the last game in the series, 2015's Halo 5: Guardians. “The team also heard feedback loud and clear on the amount of time spent playing as the Master Chief in Halo 5,” it wrote. “In Halo Infinite, the game will focus on the Master Chief and continue his saga after the events of Halo 5.” So expect to play as Master Chief more in Infinite than in Guardians.​

24. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    It would probably be better to just get the PS3 Symphonia version honestly. Japanese voices and closer to HD and the extra PS2 stuff.

Anyway, yay, confirmation for the other systems. I wonder if it'll show up in Sony's or Nintendo's presentations (maybe as part of a montage). Though Sony sometimes includes zingers in their presentation, but maybe not this year. I wonder how much extra dubbing they'll do, if any. I doubt they'll get Troy Baker back for this. Maybe it'll be like for Persona 4 Golden when they replaced half the cast for the remake (and the gap between regular Persona 4 and Golden was much shorter too!). Anyway, just glad to finally be able to play Vesperia on Playstation. Its been a long wait, but it'll probably be worth it. Now if only I had enough time to get around to finishing all those other Tales games on Playstation. Well, that and an HD port of Abyss maybe (they did it for .hack).

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    There's always the 3DS port of Abyss! (Do not play the 3DS port of Abyss).