main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Garage Rock- The New Grunge?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by BOBAFETISH, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOBAFETISH

BOBAFETISH Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    Has anyone noticed these guys: The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Hives, The Vines?

I like the sound, and think it's really just punk and rhythm rock, but people are starting to say it's a music revolution not unlike when grunge came about. Personally,I hope it is a revolution of sorts, because rock has been getting a bit stale, and could use a shot in the arm.

Has anyone heard these bands, or seen them live? Do you agree that taken collectively, they could be the next big thing?

2. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    I know of them all and have noticed their simularities.

I hope it's not necessarily a trend, though, since part of their charm is their difference from the mainstream rock. They're fast, up beat, a short - traits that could get old real quick if repeated too often.

3. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    I've seen The White Stripes, The Strokes and The Hives live and I'm a big fan of that stripped down music.

I think some people have had enough of the fancy production on some albums and are glad of the simplified music these guys make (myself included). They all stem from some sort of punk influence (a lot of names from The Sex Pistols to Velvet Underground get bandied about) and it's good to see these bands get recognition now.

4. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    at first i thought they were weird. put theyve kinda grown on me.

5. MushroomHead

MushroomHead Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    You couldn't say they are a "new" revolution, they are kind of fling backs, yes I have heard of them, the strokes are already the a huge thing and it seems that many like the hives are just jumping on the band wagon (band - haha, I'm so funny),
    and nu-metal happens again.

6. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    Thier sound is very retro. It sounds a lot like earlier stuff from The Stooges. Although I like the sound of the music quite a lot, I don't wish for it to become very popular. Since so much of The Strokes', The White Stripes' and The Hives' music rides on the energy behind it, the last thing this style needs is to become tired.

7. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Mainstream rock might have been getting stale but Rock as a whole certainly hasn't.

8. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I really hope that this isn't the next revolution, and I don't think it will be. The Grunge Revolution provides a good basis for my reasoning. Nirvana's simplified music didn't challenge anyone, and it left us in this state. These 'garage rock' bands can be too easily imitated, and it will only return back to the same point on the circle that we're currently at. As GAP said, there are a lot of good, unique bands out there. Were one of them to become the 'next big thing', it would challenge musicians to find their own sound.

So, although bands like The Strokes may be a step in the right direction, I don't think it'll be good for them to become too big. :)

9. FiveHorizons

FiveHorizons Jedi Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    I can't stand The Strokes, bunch of rich boys trying to make 70s music just doesn't really appeal to me. They're trying just a bit too hard to be "cool." They are definitely not grunge, nor will they ever have the potential or capability to be grunge-quality artists because they lack one important element: talent.

10. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    -- You couldn't say they are a "new" revolution, they are kind of fling backs, yes I have heard of them, the strokes are already the a huge thing and it seems that many like the hives are just jumping on the band wagon (band - haha, I'm so funny), and nu-metal happens again.

The Hives album was released two years ago; they're only starting to get worldwide recognition now. The current White Stripes album is their third.

This music has been around for a while, it's just that suddenly MTV sat up and took notice so now they're claiming a new age.

Oh, and this discussion really needs klingklang.

11. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    I have arrived back from my roadtrip :D

I agree with everyone who has mentioned that this style of music is influenced from the old school of VU, Stooges, Television, etc. It all seems very cyclical as usual.

And Silmarillion is spot on about MTV and the press only just catching up with these bands who have been around for awhile. And unfortunately it does result in bandwagons, but (to me at least) there doesn't seem to be a huge onslaught of copy bands. While the Stokes sell, they're not massive (I think their album is only gold in the US). So hopefully this means that this style of music will retain some sort of credibility in the long run because the record labels aren't desperate to sign every wannabe band like they were during the grunge era.

12. MushroomHead

May 28, 2002
    Silmarillion Gee whizz, I'd never have guessed. I don't have access to your fabled MTV (pity me).
    --If I sound like I am trolling/flaming burn me I'm fed up with being shafted around no one here, just the way it is---
    Now the strokes and hives and white stripes and other bands, where being played ages ago on the radio, for example Radio 1s evening session.
    Everyone in this topic seems to be a bit behind, a bit like a long distance phone call but maybe it is soemthing to do with the american music scene, I'm not sure. The strokes for example where mentioned in british mags like nme a long long time ago so it's nothing new.
    All of these bands may already established but they are defintely riding on the wave created by the strokes, if you are trying to deny that the strokes have become one of the next big things, why don't you take a look at all the magazines from shop shelves over the past couple of months/year I 'm sure you won't find it difficult to find the strokes' mugs all over the front covers and smothered within.

13. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    I don't have access to MTV either, but I know of the force they exert over the masses.

-- -if you are trying to deny that the strokes have become one of the next big things...

Huh? I didn't say they weren't the next big thing. I'm happy they're getting recognition just as they other bands you mentioned are because I like the style of music.

But it really isn't a new style of music. One of my favourite bands is You Am I who have been producing similar music for about 10 years. There's a swag of Australian bands like Rocket Science who've been around for years and who are doing beautiful things with guitars, but comparisons to the Strokes are always going to happen because everybody knows who they are now.

14. MushroomHead

May 28, 2002
    Other people said the wherent a big thing. And I don't believe I meant to call them new, especially when I called them fling backs further up. Oh well.

15. Darth_name

Darth_name Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2000
    up, i'm a fan of garage rock.

The Strokes and The Whitestripes are my favorites, i also like The Hives

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.