main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod!Challenge Gauging Interest for Potential Mod Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 25, 2015.

?

Would You Participate in a “Fanfic Olympics” mod-challenge?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. It would depend on things like how many potatoes I would get if I won

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hello, Everyone.

Basically, Mav, Nat, Mira and I (uh oh!) are working on a kinda crazy idea for a mod-challenge and we would like to gauge interest in this idea to see if/how we should proceed.

The basic idea is… FANFIC OLYMPICS! Participants would be put into teams (team sizes depending on participant numbers, but for this to work, we would need at least 3 teams of 3, thus this poll). We would also like to have a NSWFF team as well if there is enough interest in one.

There would be around 4-6 “challenges” taking place over about month. One challenge would be a ‘team word race’ that would require all team mates to participate in. The rest would be smaller week-long challenges like:
    - A Mod Dare (judged by all the mods)
    -Drabble marathon (winner based on results)
    - Mini diary challenge (winner based on votes from the fellow participants)
    Some would be individual challenges (so wouldn’t require everyone on the team to write something), others, like the diary challenge would require the members on each team to collaborate. More details would be given on the specific challenges will be given if we do this.

1st, 2nd and 3rd place to all these challenges would all be given points and the team with the most points at the end wins some super awesome prize (yet to be determined).

What we specifically want to know is:

Would you participate (we would want to host it later in July or August, but we are open to different months if the fall works better for other people)?

Would you be on a Star Wars team or a NSWFF team?

Do you have any ideas for prizes?

Do you have any ideas for mini-challenges?

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    A team player, I am not. :p Sorry. :)

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh this is a brilliant idea [face_dancing] but...
    July/August are not possible for me, but if it happens in the fall/winter, I'm in!
    Star Wars.
    I'll think of this one and I'll come back to edit this post.
    A daily first sentence challenge -- ie a list of first sentences gets posted at the beginning of the month, and you have to write as many stories as you can starting with the sentences proposed. Bonus points if you manage to interconnect them all.
    A "write in the style of" challenge -- ie a list of authors is prepared, people pick a number and they have to write a story in the style of that author (those would obviously have to be very famous authors like Dickens, Homer or Kafka, so that there's a good chance everyone has read at least an excerpt from their works in the past)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Yes, love the idea. Summer works best for me but I can carve time out.

I would prefer SW but I could adapt.

5. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Yeah, this looks like it could be interesting (I picked the potato battery option).

Would prefer a Star Wars team but will take an NSWFF assignment if absolutely necessary. :)

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    * Any time frame works for me.

* I would adore being on the NSWFF team, but if SW needs an extra, I'll fill a slot.

* I like a mini challenge sorta like what KELIA did with the Edited challenge, i.e., provide 2-3 prompts for the week & everyone writes a drabble or viggie including those elements & the most inventive wins that mini challenge. [face_thinking]

* I also like (for SW) an alternative ending challenge - where we take a scene from the OT or Legends and write different endings. :cool: And a missing scene challenge would be terrific for SW. ThreadSketch's "Elegy" viggie is a super-duper example of one for ROTJ. :D

7. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I think it's a fantastic idea.:D

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I am against the mods judging anything. They have strong preferences towards specific characters and genres as well as a dislike towards others and I also believe that some participants would use that to their advantage.

The rest...

Would you participate (we would want to host it later in July or August, but we are open to different months if the fall works better for other people)?
    If it's fair and if all the details are ironed out, sure.

How about more smaller teams? I think the chances of people with mixed interests working together in a single SW team are zero to none. In a team, there has got to be mutual respect among the participants.

Fics, drawings, wallpapers/icons etc. I would gladly contribute some myself, because I did not even understand what this meant at the time of annual awards. Regarding this, please write a proper clarifications for each contest, ever. Newbies can be very, very confused.

I love Chyntuck's idea. What would be fun is also utilising other people's universes and characters. With permission, of course.

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  9. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I think this sounds like a really fun idea!

Probably, but I'd want more details before I commit to anything. (I chose the potato option in the poll.)

It depends - would the NSWFF team have to agree on a fandom? If so, I'd probably have to go SW. I might prefer NSWFF, but I'm not very familiar with the more popular fandoms (Star Trek, Tolkien, Harry Potter).

No, sorry. Bragging rights and colors work for me.

None of my own, but I like Chyntuck's "write in the style of" idea.

Also, I just thought I'd say I'm okay with the mods judging. Of course they have favorite characters and preferred genres, everyone does, but I trust the mods to be as objective as possible. Also, as long as the mods aren't judging every challenge (which it doesn't sound like they are), one could take it as a "know your audience / write for a specific audience" sort of challenge.

Chyntuck and Nyota's Heart like this.
  10. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

I have so many fics on the go I don't think I could fit in a challenge, but I think it seems like a good idea.

Fic gifts, art, maybe a thread where the winning team could be interviewed or talk about their fics in depth, or that the winning team could choose the next challenge for the boards.

I like the idea of "write in the style of," or perhaps "write out of your comfort zone" by taking on a character/pairing/era you've never written about before, either chosen by the person or perhaps the opposing team members.

11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    This is pretty cool. +1

Also, I can take hi-res photos of potatoes for the winner(s). It's MANDATORY.

Lazy K and JediMaster_Jen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.