main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GAVs Junkie Base- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Armored Cavalry thread)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LelalMekha, Oct 31, 2017.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Anyway, the SW franchise has a bad record of properly attributing the term "spider" to things. Neither the OG-9 homing spider droid nor the kryknas have 8 limbs.

Revanfan1, Tzizvvt78 and JediBatman like this.
  2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Going back to the battle of Hoth, i wonder what star wars would look like now if those rebel turrets had been put on treads and made into the rebel tanks.

Even more so, I wonder what it would be like if the empire had used tanks like the original concept art, particularly the juggernaught. Would there still be other walkers elsewhere? And the tripping scene is so iconic is hard to imagine what could have been done instead...

3. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    I loved piloting the AT-XT in TCW, makes me wish that my Playstation 2 were still working. It's also interesting to note that the Battle of Jabiim comic has not only shown the AT-XT, but the AT-AT as well, which was never again featured in any clone wars era story (although it did show up in one of these Holonet News posts).

That reminds me of another walker scarcely shown in clone wars related material, the AT-PT. While being the most abundand OT era walker after the AT-AT and -ST, during the clone wars it's sole visual Appearance was in the Clone Wars Adventures online game.

Which is funny considering that the Knobby white spider does indeed have eight legs (also it looks like it has even more in the concept art).

Not quite what you are looking for, but the intro to Star Wars: Force Commander does show a battle between walkers and hovering as well as treaded tanks (and is one of the few visual representations to show a proper invasion, which also tends to be one of the more diverse portrayals of imperial armor).

4. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Well... it's not on treads, but it's still a tank.
    [​IMG]
    The Golan Arms SP.9 Anti-Infantry Vehicle at your service.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  5. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    So the Star Tours section of Crait shows what appears to be the First Order version of the Juggernaut, super-tank or something similar (its big, its armored and it is moving on tracks):

[​IMG]

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, that game was one of my first exposures to Star Wars, so the AT-XT is extremely...uh, sentimental to me.

Chancellor Yoda and MercenaryAce like this.
  7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The AT-XT sort of shows up in canon, as a war machine in the Obi-Wan & Anakin comic. It has gatling guns, too.

I must say I was impressed with all the new ground vehicle lore in TLJ. The AT-M6 artillery walker, the superlaser siege cannon, the AT-AT and AT-ST upgrades, the AT-HH hauler walker (really like this for some reason). Even the B-wing-esque speeders were cool, if only to showcase how ill-equipped the poor Resistance was. The books even shed some lore on that Lego heavy scout walker set, which apparently originated in TLJ concept art and is named the AT-HS.

8. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    That is the towed gatebreaker cannon.

9. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Judging from the preview of the upcoming comic issue Darth Vader #14, it seems that
    the AT-ATs already existed as of 18 BBY. I think it's a bit early. The model that the Spectres encountered in Rebels is already supposed to be an early model, bigger than the one used on Hoth, and the episodes implied it was new by the time of the Lothal insurgency.

10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Could the new model be just the bigger one, and not every AT-AT model?

11. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    So far, the larger one seems to be earlier model. In the Trivia Gallery for the Rebels episode "Relics of the Old Republic", it is noted that "the AT-AT model seen in this episode is far larger than the walkers seen in Episode V, indicating that this is a different model." Now, granted, it says "different", not "earlier", but the walker seems to be treated as something new by the show's protagonists.

12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Maybe new to them, but not necessarily new tech?

13. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    It's definitely possible. I think I'll have to rewatch the episode to form a better opinion. One thing's for sure: this larger model hasn't been seen anywhere outside of Rebels, so I assume it was discontinued.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  14. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    We even saw stock AT-ATs on the LOTS book cover and that is 5 years after ROTS.

Sidenote: I’m still mad about not getting a separate designation for the original AT-ST from ESB. They use the unit symbol in the new canon, they got AT-ST variants, they even highlight alternate X-wing and ISD models, but not this.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  15. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    They probably think we don't see the AT-ST in ESB well enough to really notice the differences. But I agree.

Speaking of something else, another new GAV will appear in Solo:
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if you can actually call it a GAV, though. Let's say infantry vehicle?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    JediBatman likes this.
  16. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    That thing is adorable.

17. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It's cool, invokes the AT-DP a lot, but it also flies, so it's strange they named it like that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  18. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    From the Solo trailer:
    [​IMG]
    Some kind of... weird AT-ST?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  19. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Or an AT-PT variant.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  20. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    The walker is a
    AT-DT Walker [​IMG]

LelalMekha likes this.
  21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Indeed it is! I wonder what these initials stand for.

22. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I think AT may stand for all-terrain ;)
    Any thoughts about what
    Coaxium
    is?

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If AT-DP stands for

All Terrain Defence Pod
    , then maybe AT-DT stands for

All Terrain Defence Transport?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Or
    All Terrain Drop Transport/Tank?

25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Looking at its cannon, I guess Defense Turret. Must be this thing from Ron Howard's tweet.
    [​IMG]

Senator Wan and MercenaryAce like this.