main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Age Discrimination on the Boards

Discussion in 'Communications' started by TARATR, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    AYBABTU is telling the truth a flame?
    You attack me all the time for my age.
    Yes I do know that Reagan was shot. I have seen the video of it, and read all about it. So don't complain about comments that are false when you state that us teenagers don't know about Reagan being shot.

Sape as I said in the PM I apologize about the sock thing. I just post as the one I'm logged in as.

-Seldon

2. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    am 16, and I feel like I am welcomed with a warm heart. It all depends on how you act, and how mature you are. If you post pics bragging about your girlfriend and that you guys have sex although you are only 14, don't expect people are going to give you a warm welcome.

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16495497&start=16495606

^

the author in that thread wrote

" please ask any question you have about romance and I will give you advice thanks "

I simply responded

" do you know how I could get my girlfriend to have sex with me more often ? "

another poster replied

" Get an actual girlfriend? Or better yet, go through puberty. "

I was tired of being flamed all the time because of my AGE

so I posted a pic of my girlfriend , which I had to take down because people photoshopped penises on her and other things , but you seem to think that IM the immature one ?

older doent mean more mature trust me , at 14 I am far more mature than many of the adults on here .

and the icing on the cake , soon after a thread was started titled

Comet1440's girlfriend: The thread

where they discussed my girlfriend in very immature and inappropriate ways . I was flamed numerous times in those threads just because I am 14 and have had sex so it means " I dont know what I am talking about " . I never flamed ONCE , but im the immature one [face_plain] . had I not put my age in my profile it would have been fine but since im " young " it was a problem .

I didnt break the TOS I just made a statement , that I have had sex before , I didnt say " hey , little kids go have sex its cool "

you " adults " cant see or feel or relate to anything that someone my age face when engaging in discussion , you dont have to deal with comments like " what do you knwo about that your 14 " when you just want to have a peacefull discussion .

thats how I feel [face_plain]

3. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Don't judge us all on the actions of some.

I had problems with the site when I first joined.
    However in my own modest opinion I find my posts to be mature. I don't spam threads and I try to act well and in accordance with TOS.

Due to my political opinions...I am sometimes attacked for my age. Some think that because I'm 17 I don't have a right to political thought and that I do not have the right to post in a political thread because I was not alive in the 70s. Others think that any opinion I have does not count anyway because those I am in a debate with were alive longer than I.

They think that because they are older, they are right.

-Seldon

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    AYBABTU said: "More inflammatory and baseless attacks from kids who are too young to remember when Reagan was shot"

Seldon said: "Yes I do know that Reagan was shot. I have seen the video of it, and read all about it. So don't complain about comments that are false when you state that us teenagers don't know about Reagan being shot."

He didn't say that you "don't know about Reagan being shot", he said you're "too young to remember when Reagan was shot". There's a difference.

5. sithsarbad

sithsarbad Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2003
    Comet, how did you really think people were going to react when you posted a pic of you "girlfriend". You only seem to like to tell one part of the story. You brag about having sex with her and how she is hot, of course that is going to back lash, but yet you are the mature one??? Why don't you ask your girlfriend's parents how they feel about you posting pics of their daughter and telling about how you have had sex with her????

As I said, it is all on how you present yourself. I think the way this borad deals with New Posters is more of a concern then someone who gets mad because they are told they are too young to be doing certin things.

EDIT: Comet, you have even pointed this out your-self, in the Masturbation thread. You said you didn't do it because you have a healthy sex life.

6. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I agree that Comet is more often then not putting him in the place where members will mention his age. I don't blame that for this.
    Comet I have seen all of your threads and have seen no discrimination. Whatever people have said about your age has been something fair. I ask that you don't further push this topic off topic.

So because we can't remember Reagan being shot...we are not entitled to an opinion about it?

-Seldon

7. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    I agree that Comet is more often then not putting him in the place where members will mention his age. I don't blame that for this.
    Comet I have seen all of your threads and have seen no discrimination. Whatever people have said about your age has been something fair. I ask that you don't further push this topic off topic.

are even aware of how blind you must be if you saw no Discrimination in those threads ? [face_plain]

and im 100% on topic , my points are valid issues that need to be addressed , you Darth-Seldon are just whining and babaling some politcal non-sense , I read the threads you pointed out and saw NO Discrimination whatsoever . you were flamed but I can see why you were flamed , I myself am inclined to flame you now but i wont , as I dont feel like getting a 48 hour slap on the wrist ban .

on topic ....

"Get an actual girlfriend? Or better yet, go through puberty."

^ I guess thats not discrimination , even though the poster is clearly referring to my age .

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    People only mention your age because you brag about your "girlfriend" and "healthy sex life" every chance you get; you encourage those responses with your behavior.

9. sithsarbad

Feb 2, 2003
    Darth_Guy is completely right. Comet why don't you respond to my post, or his?? I think the only reason why you get so worked up is because maybe you are lying about you and your girlfriend.

10. SecondBest

SecondBest Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 5, 2003
    Exactly. What do you think the people were going to do, say you were awesome? Call you "the king" for having sex at 14. Not on this board. :)

11. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    What I meant Comet is that you go off and shoot your mouth about your sex life and girlfriend. Your only 14 and people will point that out.

In my case I argue in a political debate and am flamed for only being 17 therefore my points are not valid.

-Seldon

12. sithsarbad

Feb 2, 2003
    Comet, the only person who is getting Dicrimination is your girlfriend everytime you brag or post a picture of her. Like I said earlier, ask her parents what they think about that, even ask her...

EDIT: and comet, no one is ever inclined to flame anybody, or it wouldn't be against the rules!

13. saberlord99

saberlord99 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 9, 2002
    " Get an actual girlfriend? Or better yet, go through puberty. "

Yes I said that, and yes I stick to it. [face_plain] I am only a year older then you, yet I do not seem to piss half as many people off as you do. Have to do with age? More like has to do with personality. I suggest you get a new one.

Edit: Why are you posting here Comet? It has nothing to do with Star Wars.

14. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    People only mention your age because you brag about your "girlfriend" and "healthy sex life" every chance you get; you encourage those responses with your behavior.

with your logic every post I ever made should contain a reference to my girlfrined and sex life which clearly is not true . I posted that in 2 threads which is hardly " every chance I get " . I have over 1500 posts how can a couple of them be considered " every chance I get " ?

Comet why don't you respond to my post, or his?? I think the only reason why you get so worked up is because maybe you are lying about you and your girlfriend.

the good part about this is that I could care less whether you believe me or not , I come here to discuss STAR WARS , not my girlfriend , sex , and my personal life , and most certainly not to impress a bunch hermit crabs who never leave there pc's . I do have a LIFE OUTSIDE OF THE JC , something that may new to some people on this board .

Yes I said that, and yes I stick to it. I am only a year older then you, yet I do not seem to piss half as many people off as you do. Have to do with age? More like has to do with personality. I suggest you get a new one.

cry me a river :rolleyes: . yes I piss of people with my upfront posting style , because to be honest , I dont care whether I piss you off or not [face_plain]

the comments that are being made about me in this thread are so flawed I cant even begin to counter argue without feeling sad for some of you .

15. saberlord99

saberlord99 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 9, 2002
    cry me a river . yes I piss of people with my upfront posting style , because to be honest , I dont care whether I piss you off or not

the comments that are being made about me in this thread are so flawed I cant even begin to counter argue without feeling sad for some of you .

Why would I cry you a river? I am not complaining about anything. Well, despite the fact that you are whining because you can't take the fact people do not like you. It is not your posting style, well it is, but that is only part of it. It is the fact you constantly think people actually care about what you have to say.

Actually the comments are dead on, it is you that is flawed, you can't argue because no one here is on your side, and everyone is more logical than you. I hope you do feel sad for us, but I am sure everyone feels sorry that you need to get your kicks but posting fake pictures of your boyfriend and bragging about having sex. [face_plain]

Edit: Added spaces so comet could read it easier, I do not want to stress his mind. Comet, take tylenol for any headaches you may have from reading, midol for cramps.

16. sithsarbad

Feb 2, 2003
    the good part about this is that I could care less whether you believe me or not , I come here to discuss STAR WARS , not my girlfriend , sex , and my personal life , and most certainly not impress a bunch hermit crabs who never leave there pc's . I do have a LIFE OUTSIDE OF THE JC , sonething that may new to some people on this board

You have brought up your girlfriend and your activites with each other in more then one thread. hermit crabs?? You post here just as much as the next guy, if not more. You have been hear for 8 months and well over a 1000 posts.

cry me a river . yes I piss of people with my upfront posting style , because to be honest , I dont care whether I piss you off or not

The only one crying here is you. We are here justifying our selves to your claims of discrimination, witch we have a right to do. You have never pissed anyone off that I can tell of, sorry if i just ruined your whole "I wish I were hardcore image". The comments made about you are not where near flawed, you present your self as someone who loves attention and wants to brag, and we point that out. You don't counter us because you can't. Period. Don't make excusses. You are the one with the problem not us

17. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    comet, I think the "discrimination" you claim to be facing does not originate because of your age, but because of your posting style. Your posts are generally quite immature, and contain improper grammar and punctuation. Because of this, your posts are often difficult to read and understand--and once people do understand your posts, often times it is hard to take them seriously.

It is more comforting to people to think "oh, that must be because of his age," when they see your posts, because I imagine that it is their sincere hope (as it is mine) that an adult would be able to construct a more clear, sensible, and mature post than the ones that you generally make. The comments don't originate because of age--rather they originate because of the content of the post and then are placed under the "age" category.

18. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Might I point out that the two kids making the most noise in the thread also have been known for having very confrontational attitudes when they post. Really, the kind of confrontational attitude that could've served the Carter Administration during the conflict with Iran.

19. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004
    I have never enjoyed reading a Comms thread, as much as I have this one. [face_laugh]

I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying.

20. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Snowball, are you saying the beginning of the title should be changed from [GEN] to [HUM]? Because I'd agree.

21. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    Your posts are generally quite immature, and contain improper grammar and punctuation

the hermit crab comment I made is reffering to posts like this .

you should get out more [face_plain]

The only one crying here is you

trust me , im not .

You have never pissed anyone off that I can tell of

ask around .

I expressed my thoughts on this matter , and 10 minutes later I find 10 posts flaming me and and going off topic about how I supposedly " brag " and how im " immature " . this is ridiculous , discuss the topic , not me .

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Previous page:

Could that possibly be because older people have no authority here? I couldn't care less if anyone agreed with my beliefs, i just think that young people that have opinions on issues should be able to discuss them with older adults.

And just remember, you have no authority here either, and that seems to be your problem. Again, get over it.

23. sithsarbad

Feb 2, 2003
    I expressed my thoughts on this matter , and 10 minutes later I find 10 posts flaming me and and going off topic about how I supposedly " brag " and how im " immature " . this is ridiculous , discuss the topic , not me .

CoughCopOutCough.......

24. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    comet, I think the "discrimination" you claim to be facing does not originate because of your age, but because of your posting style. Your posts are generally quite immature, and contain improper grammar and punctuation. Because of this, your posts are often difficult to read and understand--and once people do understand your posts, often times it is hard to take them seriously.

I find this to be true as well. However, I find that I am attacked on the basis of my age, even though my grammar, spelling, and punctuation tend to be as good as the next poster's. I also am frequently thought of on the internet to be older than I really am.

I believe that most people who would use age against me in an argument clicked on my profile to find it, so I have made the age in my profile a not so blatant lie. I actually did this just before Seldon opened this thread because I have experienced ad hominem attacks of this nature too.

In the case of comet and Seldon, though, I would agree with Ousley.

25. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Comet you post here quite often. Don't say that others are "hermit crabs" when you are also frequently around here.

Did Carter make mistakes? Yes he did...I will be the first to admit it. But to say he did nothing right is something I see as wrong. The peace with Egypt was difficult and there was a war between them but eventually a peace with Egypt was secured and that was good. To look at that and say "He still did nothing right" is to ignore historical fact. Now I can see how this is an amusing thread...I find Comet's comments in particular to be quite funny. However there are some issues around the boards where age is used to discriminate. There are times in political arguments and in discussing the OT where age is used to attack members and I see that as wrong. In the political debates I think that one should debate the history and the issues and not the personal profiles of each member in the debate! In the OT I think that we are all fans regardless of when we were born and people should not be attacked for their age.

I did not create this thread so that Comet could discuss why he is frequently flamed, I think the answer to that question needs no discussion and it should be clear to everyone. But to say no one is ever attacked due to their age is to ignore various threads where multiple members were attacked due to the fact that they are a teenager.

I have not changed my age on my profile because I don't feel the need to lie about that.

I think for the record Obi-Zahn that Ousley's comments were directed at Comet and not myself. At least that is what I think Ousley, I could be wrong.

-Seldon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.