main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Continued Discussion Regarding the Moderator Selection Process

Discussion in 'Communications' started by saerah, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Really, are there that many people who don't know what qualities a mod should have?

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Exactly. If you're a troll, you spam, or are constantly in trouble, we're not looking for you as a mod. All we'd do, if we posted the specifics, is the same thing we link to in here. We'd post the 'I want to be a mod. How do I do that? What are you looking for?".

3. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "So at least a certain amount of those who pm you will think about it beforehand if their user of choice fits the description and has the desired qualities."

Chances are they're all going to say their good friend, User Bob, has all those qualities and more.

4. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    If the forum mods decide they're taking user recommendations, then it's best that the input to the mod doesn't go too far beyond, "I would like to recommend User X for the open mod position." Trust me, no matter who you recommend, we will go through their history, admin notes, IP checks, see when they're online, etc... And if they're standouts already, we'll know. :)

5. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    It would have a double function:

-it makes people think a moment longer if the one they want to propose really is the right one.

-I'm sure that the qualities for mods are a little different from forum to forum, right?

So I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anyone, but could, in fact, be helpful.

6. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    "Trust me, no matter who you recommend, we will go through their history, admin notes, IP checks, see when they're online, etc..."

Wow, is that a new policy? ;)

7. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Csillan_girl has a point in that if we needed someone to cover late nights in 3SA, it would be a good idea to state that in the open nomination thread. That way you'd hope people would only suggest users who post during that time frame.

8. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    We can do that if we're looking for a specific timeslot to be filled. But again, I really hope there's more common sense out there. If a forum lost someone from Australia who covered late nights, for example, there's a good chance that's the time we're looking to fill.

9. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I Would Make A Horrible Mod........

But I'm Hurt I Haven't Been Asked....

10. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I've been busy for a few days so a had a lot of catching up to do today.

I think the idea of an advisory council is interesting.

I also agree with darthsapient's recent post and csillian girl's recent post.

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    NJOFan215...
    "I think the idea of an advisory council is interesting.

Not just interesting, but helpful to have on hand for a number of issues.

12. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    I've heard many people say the same thing. I also understand that there once was one. How did it work? What went wrong with it before, or perhaps more acurately what were the problems some people had with it? How can these issues be changed? Can we reincarnate the advisory council system again with these changes incorporated into it?

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  14. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Someone meantioned that a new thread should be started for the discussion of an AC.

Why don't you try that instead of derailing this one Genghis/KW/NJOfan? :confused:

15. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Hey, look, DA still wants to be a Comms mod. :(

16. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    If an ac was reformed perhaps they too could be involved in the mod selection process.

17. Walken

Walken Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2004
    You should make mod application open to anyone who meets certain requirements, such as:

Board activity/involvement
    Length of membership on the forums
    A good history of not being edited/banned in the past

And to tie it all up, each applicant should express why they feel they deserve to be a mod and the such in an essay format.

Simple and easy.

P.S., mods should have no involvement in the process, only the head admins should vote on the matter.

18. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "And to tie it all up, each applicant should express why they feel they deserve to be a mod and the such in an essay format."

Great, let's get people campaigning to be mods. That'll really help things. Not to mention that pretty much everyone who is qualified is considered for openings, and that they often fill out a survey thing anyways.

"P.S., mods should have no involvement in the process, only the head admins should vote on the matter."

Um, no. Allowing the mods in general to vote is at least some form of checks and balances. Besides, the admins don't know ever user, nor are they familiar with every forum.

19. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Jeff, are you trying to tell me I wasted my money on all the campaign buttons and bumper stickers that I had made?

20. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Board activity/involvement

Very important, I doubt anyone will disagree

Length of membership on the forums

I disagree. zacparis has only been here a year, yet I think he's making a great mod. Similarily some people have been here since 98/99 and would make terrible mods.

A good history of not being edited/banned in the past

No serial trolls are likely to get promoted, but having some usernotes is not a problem. (ie if you made a few mistakes as a newbie they shouldn't be held against you).

And to tie it all up, each applicant should express why they feel they deserve to be a mod and the such in an essay format.

As I've said before, the best candidates would probably feel uncomfortable doing that (I certainly would). I'm not here to sing my own praises. Secondly, why should they have to ? Why should regular users have to jump through hoops to be allowed to volunteer to help in the running.

P.S., mods should have no involvement in the process, only the head admins should vote on the matter

worst. idea. ever. The admins come from across the JC, and hence they really don't know the regulars in every forum (ie Kimball wouldn't know the 3SA, and Sape would know the Senate). They rely on the opinions of the moderators when looking for new blood.

If DamonD and TwilekJedi agree that User Bob would make an excellent moderator fo the CT then there's a good chance the admin would trust their opinion.

Essentially what you've suggested would mean that new moderators would be being picked by a single person, as the other admins would probably go with the choice of the other admin from the forum that needs a new mod.

21. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001

Something like this?
    Why I Should Be a Mod

I believe that I should be a mod because I really care about the forums. I want to improve the Senate by getting rid of all of those pinko commies, right-wing nutjobs, and anarchistic whackos, so that the Senate can be a better place.

If chose, I will begin a campaign of terror and destruction, leaving no thread unscathed in my path. Any user who questions my authority will be summarily banned, forever. If users complain, I will lock them in a forum with a group of monkeys typing out random posts on keyboards.

I will seek out anyone who might threaten my power and unleash a flurry of accusations and attacks until they surrender to my supremacy. Within months, I will have attained complete domination of the forums, and none will dare oppose me.

My name's Kimball_Kinnison, and I approved this message
    Is that about what you were thinking?

Seriously, how many people would write something like that? An essay isn't going to do that much to help in selection of a mod. Go look at the Senate, where people write novels for posts all the time. That doesn't mean that everyone who can write a lot would make a good mod.

Kimball Kinnison

22. Walken

Walken Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2004
    Well I was thinking more along the lines of the way GameFAQS impliments their mods. They have one of the best systems I've ever seen in their selection process, and the end result provides the best candidates for the job (considering they have a selection every few years). I wouldn't know what to include in an essay to be honest, that would be up to the admins. As for mods being involved in the process, I believe they should comment on who may be suited, yet admins should have the final word, regardless or not if they even know who a user is, it makes things less biased. Honestly I don't care who becomes a mod here since these boards are the most lenient I have ever seen on the net, mainly since there aren't really any problems like that of other boards. I do think that community involvement in selection is somewhat important, but perhaps coming up with a way to provide for the people applying to be anonymous would work better, as in the essay idea: have an argument or whatever presented to the community and then have people vote. Still it would all come down to an admin, so it may be pointless, I don't know. There is no need for a popularity contest, so it is probably best that everything is done behind closed doors.

23. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    DA...
    "Someone meantioned that a new thread should be started for the discussion of an AC. Why don't you try that instead of derailing this one Genghis/KW/NJOfan?"

DA, in case you were confused, the point of NJOfan bringing up the idea of some sort of AC in relation to the continued discussion regarding the moderator selection process (and my answer to him on same subject) was related to the continued discussion regarding the moderator selection process. Which is to say, it was discussing the point of this thread.

Which is entirely different from trying to derail the thread by incorrectly bitching about people trying to derail the thread.

24. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Not sure if you're up to date here Genghis, DarthSapient stated the current policy towards user input to promotions on the last page. A new AC is not part of it.

So if anyone wants to continue discussing the possibility of an AC for whatever purpose, it seems like an issue other than what this thread is about. A new topic. Requiring a new thread.

:)

25. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Honestly I don't care who becomes a mod here since these boards are the most lenient I have ever seen on the net, mainly since there aren't really any problems like that of other boards.

This board has the same types of problems crop up. It's just a testament to the moderators we already have that you never really notice them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.