main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] If you have a technical error, log it in here.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
  2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
  3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    A communications disruption can mean only one thing: invasion.

4. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    This may have nothing to do with the malware etc. but a couple of days ago I was browsing the main site, not the boards, and kept getting a pop-up message saying that a script was causing my computer to run slow and asking if I wanted to disable the script. I always did. I thought it was interesting to get that message and then the attack-site message today.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If I had to take a guess, that could have just been an ad-related issue. I get those all the time, particularly with wiki sites (though others on occasion), and it's usually just a fancy flash ad or something.

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm no longer seeing any attack site warnings from Chrome or Firefox. This means we may finally be in the clear. :)

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We've had a few users who are still getting the Attack Site warning in Firefox. If this is happening to you try clearing your internet temp files. You might still have the old malware site list in your cache.

8. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Just wanted to say that I did keep getting the attack report till I erased the temp files. :)

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Good job, team! Thanks for taking care of this!

10. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Yay! The boards are safe once again. [face_dancing]

11. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Ironically the boards going down caused me to log back in for the first time in...forever

12. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm currently browsing in Google Chrome, and there are no banners. Seems like none of the style sheets are actually working for any of the boards.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Things looks fine for me in Firefox. Do you have images blocked for this site by any chance? (I haven't used Chrome so I don't know how to check).

14. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    No, its not adblock, and I'm having problems with it in Safari. I tried dumping my cache to make sure it was reloading pages completely, but it didn't do anything.

Just checked Firefox, and no images either. I hope this isn't a computer-specific issue. I have been having random trouble acccessing wikias and sites like cracked recently, so maybe my computer is randomly refusing to load the image server.

15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Double check your antivirus software and make sure you didn't accidentally block the domain www1.theforce.net. If it's doing it in all of your browsers, that could be the cause.

16. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Don't have any general anti-virus software on my computer. Puzzling.

Isolated the problem. My computer is no longer seeing the www.theforce.net domain. It will read the boards.theforce.net domain. Looks like the list of sites I can't access is slowly creeping up on me, and seemingly without pattern. God I hope I don't need to wipe my drive and do a full reinstall or anything like that.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You sure you don't have AV software? If so you might have picked up a virus or malware. Mcafee has a free AV software trial - you might want to download it and run a check on your machine. Any PC running without protection is very vulnerable these days.
    I use Norton Internet Security on my XP laptop and Norton 360 on my notebook (Windows 7). The only thing I don't like about 360 is that the adblocker present in the Internet Security was removed by Norton.

18. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm running Mac OS 10.5, and last I checked there isn't much in the way of good anti-virus software available.

19. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm no Mac expert, but this article might be of interest. Your OS could be blocking the domains using the /etc/hosts file.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I assumed you were running some flavor of Windows...my mistake. :p

21. Black-Pearl

Black-Pearl Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2007
    I've been banned for like five years, and I try to make my first post and this happens:

A system error has occurred. The error has been logged and will be reviewed by the administrative staff. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Error:
    MESSAGE: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
    SERVER: IGNPRDAPPW64211
    SOURCE: System.Web
    URL: http://boards.theforce.net/PostForms/PostReply.aspx?brd=10382&topic=23992390
    REFERRER: http://boards.theforce.net/the_amphitheatre/b10382/23992390/p173
    AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_8; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16
    IP ADDRESS: 76.67.99.100

:(

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The board software has undergone major revisions in that time. Try clearing your PC internet temp files to see if that sorts it out. Also clear any cookies you might have for this site. If it's still a problem, post back with your PC operating system and the browser and version you are using.

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Welcome back. :D

I've got that a few times just now and I've never been banned.O:)

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I have as well - it's a generic error message. It might have just been a glitch but since he hasn't been here in awhile it's possible something in his cache or cookies is causing the problem.

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm having trouble posting, too. I either get an error message after hitting "Post Reply", or I get to posting a reply and after hitting "submit", it just sits there... and doesn't do anything at all.