main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] PROPOSAL: JC Honor Students

Discussion in 'Communications' started by dp4m, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I wouldn't count the threads I made about you quite as being in your honor. [face_plain]

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    But the sheer fact that they are posting threads about you, good, bad or ugly, is what counts. They are taking the time to start a topic about you, so many others can chime in, and its all about you! That is where the honor is! Good, bad, and ugly, if its about you, its quite an honor indeed!

:cool:. I've never truly been honored, I can't recall any threads about me. :( Though I did get a PM once calling me every name in the book and then some, now that was a treat!

3. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I wouldn't count the threads I made about you quite as being in your honor.

But calling it "hero-worship" may be a little too strong..

In the spirit of comms, I know you would be willing to split the difference and settle on "quiet admiration."

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
  5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I suppose that counts, but I wasn't counting that one. I was mainly thinking about ones that called me out, called me awesome, basically the kind of threads you get Ghenghis. That one doesn't quite cut it. Its too 'friendly' I guess you could say. :p

Thanks for the present though Ghenghis!

6. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    The problem with those, though, is that they tend to have a shorter shelf-life in the forums. So, the recognition they offer is short-lived.

Well, unless it's a real good one which embeds itself into the forum's consciousness. There's still a few of those that cling to life in the lower depths of the forum.

7. JediMasterRevan

JediMasterRevan Jedi Youngling star 4

May 18, 2004
    So I'm assuming that this proposal is pretty much dead then right? Lets move on to more important things.

8. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    Wouldnt this be unfair to people who don't go to school. Is there going to be another award for people who sell the most girlscout cookies? How about employee of the month?

9. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Lord-Vader...
    "Wouldnt this be unfair to people who don't go to school."

No, because they ought to be able to forge results just as easily as the kids who go to school.

10. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    This is a rubbish idea imo. Too many colours and titles around anyway. We might as well allow everyone to have a title.

11. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
  12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    That's right, Asie, there are already far too many people with titles and colors around here.

[face_thinking]

:p

Seriously, there's also enough pompousness from certain individuals around these parts already. No need to provide yet another avenue for showing off. I don't mind VIP status for people who actually do JC-related things, but this would be for look-at-me-I-be-so-smrt things.

//links to half a dozen different "What's your IQ?" threads in JCC in which every poster claims to be 180 or above

13. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Everyone's is 180?

Aw. Mine's only 179. :(

14. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Yes, there are too many titles. Why exactly do people that used to contribute need titles? Who cares if you used to be a mod? Who cares if you used to be an RSA?

15. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Yes, there are too many titles. Why exactly do people that used to contribute need titles? Who cares if you used to be a mod? Who cares if you used to be an RSA?

Apparantly, Wes_Janson does. He tends to agree with anyone with colors.

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    If you've given long term service to the boards as a mod or similar, then you should be allowed formal recognition.

17. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Yes, while you do it. When you don't anymore, you're a regular user.

Of course this excludes icon 'makers' who deserve no recognition whatsoever. And definitely no tittles.

18. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    When you don't anymore, you're a regular user.

Titles for ex-mods.

Necessary? No.

A pleasant way to recognise service to the community? Yes.

Is service worth recognition beyond it's lifetime? Yes.

So a public pat on the back? Yes.

An easy target? Yes.

Any chance of an analogy to argue my point? No.

;)

19. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    [face_laugh] @ DLM

Well said Toffee Boy! ;)

20. CitizenKane

CitizenKane Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2004
    Been registered for four years, or actively posting for four years? If the latter, how much is active enough? Just a post a year, or maybe a few dozen, or perhaps at least a few hundred. Just any sort of posting, or posting with a certain amount of depth to it? Who would judge it?

Just some thoughts to consider on that

1) A little bit of both. Registered for four years, and is actually participating.

2) You mean that there are no standards in place now for what would be considered "Active" memebership? I thought it was taken into acount when considering someone for Modship. But thats what I eman when I say "Active"

3) Any posting. Saying "You can only post intelligent material" is about as silly as (and, truth be told, synonomous with) saying "You can't post in the JCC."

Genghis

That's not real recognition anymore than a former moderator who lacks colors and just puts "former mod" in his sig. Any moron can do that. I'm talking about real recognition. Official.

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    2) You mean that there are no standards in place now for what would be considered "Active" memebership? I thought it was taken into acount when considering someone for Modship. But thats what I eman when I say "Active"

No, there's no clear standard for "active" status. It's one of those "you know it when you see it" (most of the time, at least) things.

22. CitizenKane

Aug 7, 2004
    No, there's no clear standard for "active" status. It's one of those "you know it when you see it" (most of the time, at least) things.

Well, in that case, the same principle could be applied in this scenario.

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Maybe. I don't think it's a black-and-white thing. When you're considering someone to moderate a forum, you know they need to be active enough that most people in the forum can recognize them and see them as a positive influence. I would say the majority of users won't meet that criterion for activity, though.

You're essentially suggesting that only the fogies who have enough presence to possibly be mod-worthy deserve a title, the way I see it.

24. CitizenKane

Aug 7, 2004
    I would say the majority of users won't meet that criterion for activity, though.

The majority of users also don't meet the criteria of 4+ years here. It's not something a lot of people will get to have, hwich makes it more special, IMO.

You're essentially suggesting that only the fogies who have enough presence to possibly be mod-worthy deserve a title, the way I see it.

You said it, I didn't. KW requested a standard for judging "still posting" as a requirement for the title, and I simply noted that there did seem to be a way to determine "active" status within the MS. I don't think it's nearly as complicated as some may make it out to be.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    But there are just a small handful of people who have been truly active without a break for four years. There's also the reality that for years, many old posts were automatically pruned by the system (or for other reasons), which can sort of delete evidence of activity. It's also questionable as to whether a standard of activity could be reached that everyone could agree on.

I'm not sure what the point of rewarding people for simply sticking around for that long is, especially since the good ones tend to get rewarded in other ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.