main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA General Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AboutaSith, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    I went to see War of the Worlds last night at Ontario AMC. It was empty, think there were about 50 people at the 7:30pm showing!

It was ok, not much to write home about. Cruise was great. Fanning was good too. Think it's time for Speilberg to leave Sci-Fi, the shots all looked familiar. He needs to go do some of his other projects for a while, he's gone bit stale. Roll on Indy 4.

Don't take little kids to see WOTW, they will be scared out of the heads! It's very graphic in some parts.

On the trailer front:

Fantastic 4 - Action Sequences Eye Candy, nothing more. This film looks like it seriously lacks the heart and emotion of Spiderman or X-men. Give it a miss!

Into the Blue - Looks totally woefull. Treasure at the sea, bunch of young god looking "actors" go to get it, someone else wants it. Yaaawwwn, all been done before.

King Kong - Looked good, effects still need some work. Roll on Dec!

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe - Looks like "Diet LOTR" but still impressive. The lion needs some work. Think it's Dec for this one too.

Elizabethtown - Looks like Truman Show, The Majestic and Pleasentville all wrapped into one. Could be good, could be total pap.

Bad News BEars - Looked funny but yawn it's another hollywood remake.

2. jdijade

jdijade Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2005
    It's funny, I was just thinking last night that we needed a movie thread!!

Haven't caught WOTW yet but I've been hearing much of what you're saying about Spielberg. And Fanning might be all that and chocolate cake in the child actor circuit, but they're risking overuse to where people will get tired of her.

We couldn't catch WOTW and ended up seeing Bewitched instead. Not a total loss, but I found the storyline and characterizations disappointing and boring. Even Kidman's witch was a ho-hum version, a far cry from her usual stellar work in things like Practical Magic. Mike thought Jim Carrey would have made a much better Darrin and I have to agree.

I also saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith, which I found entertaining enough to forgive the completely implausible climax.

Trailers not yet mentioned: let's not forget the impending Willy Wonka invasion! As a big Depp/Tim Burton fan (who saw the original when it came out in theaters) I can't wait, though admittedly the longer trailer left me a tad skeptical about the direction Depp is taking his character. Time will tell the tale.

The Brothers Grimm--Matt Damon stars in this one about the "real" adventures of the famed fairy tale-spinning pair. Looks like it could be either quite promising or a real bomb (let's not forget Damon's painful Stuck on You).

Then there's the critically acclaimed masterpiece, Dukes of Hazzard. [face_laugh] Looks like it might be good light fun. Harry Potter 4, dare I say it, is coming in November, and the teaser looks like they're continuing to try and kick each film up a notch.

Of course, NO film discussion would be complete without a nod to the Wallace and Grommet movie!

3. Toughie

Toughie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    I'm really worried about Hollywood, I think they're running out of ideas. I went to go see Bewitched yesterday afternoon and there are some posters hanging around for coming soon movies, and most of them are remakes. Bewitched, War of the Worlds, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, The Longest Yard, the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Herbie, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Bad News Bears, and there might be some more but I can't think of them.

4. Storm_Granger

Storm_Granger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2003
    I saw Bewitched on the 25th and I wasent extremly impressed...I mean I liked it and I thought that it was funny, It just left me with the feeling of wanting more I think....

5. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    My better half and I were discussing the state of film on the way home from WOTW. It's really going downhill at the moment. There are literally thousands of really good books screaming to make it over to film surely they can make some of these instead of remakes or trying to ruining pefectly good movies by making "prequels" and poor sequels. And Hollywood is too concerned with making "Biggest opening ever" no movie will go up against another. You go to the cinema and there's only one big move opening a week.

Steve Martin what are you thinking! Pink Panther, hell no, get the hell away from us!

As for that guy from the big cinema chain trying to blame the movies for the poor attendances at the cinema. PAH!!! It cos me $19 for two tickets to see WOTW, then it was $13 for a large soda with Nachos!!!!!

I the cinema put their tickets prices down to say $5 I would be there every weekend watching any film, now when a film comes out that I dont really want to see I just wait for DVD.

Thought I am going to see Batman at my local Ultrastar on Tuesday. $4.95 on a Tuesday, can't beat it!

6. Drgnfyre4

Drgnfyre4 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    I think the biggest downfall of Bewitched was casting...the whole concept of filming a remake of Bewitched and treating the remake phenomenom as self parody is sound, but putting 'one note' Will Farrel in there was a mistake.The movie became muddled and yet another chance for him to do his already tired 70s buffoon 'anchorman' character which took away from the plot and from the excellent choice of Nicole Kidman to play the new Sam. There was sooooo much she could've done with that role had it note been given a backseat to another SNL alumni taking his moment in the sun.

7. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Anybody going to see Charlie & the Choccie facory?

Think I may go see it, looks totally bizarre, Depp looks funny.

Saw the Island trailer, must go see it!

Hee Hee, I saw Airplane over the weekend too.

8. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    The Edwards South Coast Village 3 are having "Flashback Wednesdays" all summer long. The tickets are only $6 (or $7 if you buy online through Fandango) and begin at 9pm. Here is the schedule of
    movies:

July 13 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

July 20 - Purple Rain

July 27 - The Princess Bride

August 3 - Robin Hood: Men in Tights

August 10 - Beetlejuice

August 17 - The Breakfast Club

August 24 - Ghostbusters

August 31 - Office Space

9. jdijade

May 23, 2005
    Hoo, thanks for that update, Sith! Men in Tights, Princess Bride, Office Space--some real great ones there! heh heh. I've got Wednesday nights off, too...hmmm [face_thinking]

10. jdijade

May 23, 2005
    I agree--definite big screen must-sees! Since Wonka opens during ComicCon a group of us are thinking of catching it over at Horton Plaza (one of our members has the awesome Wonka costume we worked on at the party that he's thinking of wearing to the theater).

Did you watch Airplane on DVD? Speaking of which, we just picked up Season 1 of the sci fi series 4400. It's a cross between Spielberg's Taken--very cool. We're really getting hooked!

11. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    It was on TV. They have a night called DVDTV where they played the moive then followed afterwards they played the speical edition version!

I know what I will be doing on 4th July 2007

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/newsstory.asp?news_id=16952

Transformers, robots in disguise!!! Wooohhhooo!!! Me Grimlock, Me Mad!

12. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Picked up a couple a movies in Target the other day. Got Collateral and Anchorman, only 10 bucks each!

Stoopid Anchorman doesn;t have the hilarious MTV inerview with Jim Caviezal, only reason I wanted it! Only has the Rebecca Stamos one which sucked.

13. jdijade

May 23, 2005
    Man, I'm still beat from San Diego but I did manage to catch Willy Wonka. Enjoyed it even more than I thought I would (I'd been a bit worried about Depp taking Wonka down too funkadelic a road, but nahh). Was curious to see if any other peeps here have seen it yet and what you all thought.

14. Storm_Granger

Storm_Granger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2003
    Willy Wonka was a great movie!! i saw it last night and i loved it!! I thought Depp did a great job, he really pulled it off! and i also saw Wedding Crashers last night, it was funny but seeing that right after willy i think it made it seem less than what it really was...i would recommend seeing it though...if you dont mind men who are all about sex..with a few topless shots in the beginning of the movie.

15. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Not seen either of them yet.

I did manage to score cheaper movie tickets through a work membership thingy, means I don't need to pay $9 bucks to see a moive anymore, wooooohoooo!!!!

Get your HR dept's to sign up for www.recreationconnection.com

Loads of savings for members.

16. Drgnfyre4

Drgnfyre4 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    That sounds like a good idea... you can bet I am gonna be bugging my job about that now!

17. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    I saw Hero yesterday for the first time. That is a good film. I loved the way it looked and they way the story was told. Me thinks it shall be purchased on DVD!!!

Also saw Collateral, I liked it Cruise was good, Foxx was slow starting off but soon got into it.

18. kitchenvixen

kitchenvixen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    i watched terminal and was somewhat disppointed, but it sill gave me warm fuzzies.

19. jdijade

May 23, 2005
    Since we've so many movie fans here we should have a night out at the movies each month, plus a movie night "in" with DVD's and popcorn!

20. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    That would be a good idea.

21. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    I saw The Notebook over the weekend, the better half made me watch it!

It started off as your usual film of two lovers, for the most part I thought it was a bit boring until you find out who wrote the book, then it gets interesting, very sad ending.

What's with movies at the cinema lately? Nothing good out yet.

Stealth? What a steamer! I saw the studio guy say "nobody wants to see action at the moment, comedy is king" er no my friend. I think you'll find we would love to see action but it needs to be good! I mean a stealth bomber with a mind of its own, yawn, how did that get past the drawing board! I bet if they re released Die Hard it would have made more money in it's opening that Stealth managed.

22. jdijade

May 23, 2005
    I'll have to agree with you there, Sith. I've by and large taken a shine to watching what I've got on DVD---they cost almost the same as a trip to the movies, these days, and most of what's coming out isn't worth a bucket of stale popcorn.

What's the consensus on Fantastic Four? I've yet to go catch that one.

23. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    The trailer put me off of F4, the action looked weak, acting poor and it just didn't seem to have any emotion to it.

I'm looking foward to the 40 Year Old Virgin, that looks funny.

24. jdijade

May 23, 2005
    I'll have to admit I thought the same thing about the 40-year-old virgin, but you'll have to let us know how it turns out.

Rented "Alexander" last night...what a yawner. Despite the (sorely underutilized) talent of big names on board, it was so poorly pasted together in editing that figuring out what was going on was near impossible, though it was boring enough that one tended not to care anyway. And the version we got was some re-edited director's cut "for a faster pace." Lord have mercy, I shiver to think what the original cut must have been like. zzzz.

25. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    I watched Two Brothers the other day. The acting was questionable by most of the cast and the sounds was really poor but you dont watch that film for them. You watch it for the beautiful Tigers. I want the DVD so I can see how they filmed it all.

Won a copy of Sideways the other day, hope it's good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.