main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit General post NJO Discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, May 5, 2021.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    No, no, no you do not kill of Legends like that!

I prefer to assume that most of the folks that ended up neither Imperial Knight, nor staying Jedi probably founded their own middle path, like with the Mortis Knights successful, a new third way may have emerged, turning the 10 Knights into an order of its own devoted to Mortis and the Force regardless of sides.
    Or more rival Jedi orders like formerly Djinn Altis one? Some Jedi academies like Dathomir one or Corellian one doing their own thing?

That way we may save some folks at least from your purges!

Unless of course you want to save some by having them fall and become One Sith, which is possible too of course. Saba and her brethen would be perfect as Sith!

Doompup likes this.
  2. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Just read Inferno and really struggling to believe that these guys (GA on one side, Bothans/Corellians on the other) are really in an actual war killing each other so easily just 10 years after NJO. Just don't believe it.

3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah the war really comes out of nowhere. At least in Betrayal you could get the feeling that no one really wanted a war. But by Exile they are going full on and it reaches a climax in Inferno with a massive long drawn out killing match in Kuat.

4. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I think having far, far too many named survivors, most who never did anything afterwards anyway, was one of the worst things of order 66 in the old EU....

5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I don’t mind it. There were something like 10,000 Jedi and we have around 200 survivors. Most of whom died in the twenty year period in between ROTS and ANH. Only around a dozen or so Jedi remained to join Luke’s order in some form or fashion.

Now yes one can argue the 10,000 weren’t named and 200 are-but still as far as lore goes it’s a successful purge. And the Old EU made it clear Luke had to rebuild the order from scratch, and didn’t seem to get access to any materials or literature from the prequel era order until much later.

Irredeemable Fanboy and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He got lots of pre-prequels materials from the Witches of Dathomir, though, at the end of The Courtship of Princess Leia.

AusStig likes this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well sure. Point is, not many Jedi of the old order were around by 12 ABY. A lot survived the initial purge but most were hunted down by ANH.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Most notable 12 ABY one was the semi-fallen Vima Da Boda (not exactly a Dark Jedi, but not a Jedi in good standing either), who was still around in Crimson Empire III and contacting Luke.

9. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I need more Vima da Boda... the way she appared and vanished again and spoke she not only acted like Vergere before there was Vergere, she also seems to be a hero helping counterpart to the dark figure that was Nom Anor before we knew he is a Vong. I always imagined these two as antagonists outplaying each other behind the scenes with each influencing their factions, she with Luke and Jedi, and him with the Imperials and their various Dark Jedi projects.

QuinlanSolo and Iron_lord like this.
  10. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I find it interesting that Luke's Jedi is more like the old Jedi than the flawed PT Jedi.

Though Post NJO they go back to the PT style hard.

QuinlanSolo and Destiny975 like this.
  11. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I don't know if this is the same as "ignoring" but it can be read easily with having just experienced up until ROTJ (that was my case).

From TUF to Broken is also a good cutaway.

I don't know from Crucible to Legacy, though, i suppose the Caedus mention makes it feel more complete (due to how it is mentioned how Caedus' rise served to keep Krayt's One Sith in hiding, making it feel like an important plot point) but most people seem to think the post-NJO are rather tangential.

Also, i do like that many elements from Republic come into Legacy, as it makes it feel like all the chronology, all the "eras", came together at the end.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The legacy comics only reference Caedus briefly, beyond that they rely on the NJO more for backstory.

AusStig likes this.
  13. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    Yes, it is just a text box, but since it is directly related to the reason Krayt's One Sith was so successful at staying in hiding, it makes it important despite being very brief and "blink and you miss it".

Maybe not narratively that important as for the focus of the story, but important for the worldbuilding.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  14. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I still doubt Krayt's One Sith were experts at hiding... I mean, after FOTJ, Keshiri, Sith all over and Krayt revealing himself helping against Abeloth, the Jedi were quite weird to not have looked closer into Sith affairs. And with a future prophecised for Ben and Vestara even, Abeloth still on the loose even if weakened and sent running, I think the One Sith barely hid if at all but merely were considered potential allies by the Jedi should Abeloth return! Even if they occasionally clashed or were forgotten by the time of Legacy after the Jedi had been busy with the Ossus Project and debacle and many other quests like Mortis that may have involved likewise missions on the Sith side.

I think the One Sith are only good at hiding their deepest secrets and bases, like White Eyes and the like. The others are hiding in plain sight, either pretending to be Keshiri Sith, or other darksiders.

15. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I had the same reaction reading these books years ago. The war, so soon after the devastating Vong invasion and the supposed "unified" galaxy at the end of it, defied all logic for me. It was never clear to me what Corellia and their faction wanted and why the GA was so opposed to it. Meanwhile the Mandalorians are meandering in and out of the main story, doing whatever. Granted I was never able to force myself to finish the series(to this day haven't read Revelation and Invincible), but along with the ridiculous retcon that made Vergere into a Sith, it all felt so unreal. I can in all fairness say that Denning almost single-handedly ruined post-NJO as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  16. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Is it actually ever said in Legacy that Darth Caedus used to be Jacen Solo? If just Caedus is mentioned one could, if one where to ignore the Denningverse, say that this „Caedus“ was just a completely different character from Jacen.

Wich to be fair many people who read LotF would agree with. ;)

17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I don’t believe it did actually no. In theory you could make Caedus anyone else and still keep Legacy.

My only guess is the corellians just really really wanted to be free. And they made alliances with other worlds that felt slighted or exploited by the GA(generally wealthier worlds that didn’t bear the brunt of the Vong invasion) and the GA was willing to prevent them from doing so even if it meant war. It’s not implausible per se, but it should have been at a least generation after the NJO.

18. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Caedus is mentioned as being part of "the Skywalker line". he and Lumyia are mentioned in one speech bubble on one page, you could skip it and not notice, Sith Vergre gets more page time, but it's not huge.

Ghost and Golbolco like this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    In theory you could make Caedus anyone then of the Skywalker family(except maybe Luke or Ben). Jacen, Jaina, Leia, maybe even something off the bat like a cloned Anakin Solo gone dark or something.

Krayt appears later in FOTJ of course(creating a massive SOD problem as to why the Jedi didn’t hunt him down when they had eighty years to do so). But Legacy on its own doesn’t need FOTJ or Legacy of the Force.

Sith Vergere could easily be retconned as being Krayt lying or she was a Sith but krayt interpreted her in some other way then she meant.

Really all you need for Legacy is the NJO in terms of backstory.

Slater, QuinlanSolo, AusStig and 2 others like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Mohrgan Fel is a cousin to Roan Fel, but is he the child of a sibling of Fel II, or would you consider him the child of Wynessa or Cam Fel?

Golbolco likes this.
  21. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Because he's Force-sensitive, I've operated on the assumption that Jaina and Jagged had at least two sons. It's easier than inventing an alternative parent for his Force-sensitivity if he was descended from one of Jagged's siblings.

Sinrebirth and Ghost like this.
  22. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Given Forcesensitivity should not be hereditary, despite that being a possibility too, I kinda want to return to the Force choosing at random kinda who got it and who doesn't, to prevent dynasties.

Imagine a generation of descendants of Jaina and Jag that does not have the Force at all? Their kids might then have it again maybe if it left out a generation? Or a story about how one non-forcesensitive child feels left out and tries to artificially augment itself be it via tech or midichlorian transfusions?

Golbolco likes this.
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It is hereditary, especially in Legends. Especially in Legacy.

It might have even been the "spiritual" justification for continuing the Fel Dynasty... a holy bloodline, descended from the Force itself via Anakin Skywalker.

AusStig and Riv_Shiel like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Except for Ania Solo.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If Jedi are like Witches and Wizards - with some "Muggleborns" (Jedi born to non-sensitive parents) some "half-bloods" and "purebloods" (children with one force-sensitive parent, and children from a long line of force-sensitive parents - mostly in the distant past of the Legends-verse) - then there will be Squibs as will (children with no sensitivity, born to sensitive parents).

Ania wouldn't be the only such. The Crystal Star had Tigris. Tigris's parents were both sensitive - but he wasn't.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    ColeFardreamer and AusStig like this.