main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Adding three to the JediKnight75's (already good and comprehensive) list:

Leia: Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Gray is another great Gray Leia novel (er, not as in the Dark Jedi kind). Parts of it reminded me of Harry Potter, oddly. It has some awesome Breha and Bail scenes, including one involving Tarkin that's a true classic.

Canto Bight: This is an anthology of 4 slightly-humorous tales, involving the background characters in Canto Bight. I get the impression a lot of people either didn't read or didn't like this book, but it's got a sweet funny innocence about it you don't often get in SW these days. More in tune with the 80s Marvels. One story is by John Jackson Miller (that may give you an idea of where the humor is going... Gryph would have fit right in).

Most Wanted, by Rae Carson: this poor book is going to fall by the wayside of EU history, but I liked it a lot more than most of the new novels. I was afraid it was going to be a boring story about Corellia or a romance about Han and Qi'ra, but it's not on both accounts. It's a lot like the Hunger Games. The good parts of the Hunger Games, when all the kids are trying to outsmart one another, and you're not exactly sure who's going to live or die, or how they're going to think up a way out of a problem. I was bummed when they nixed Han's original backstory, but not so much anymore. This story is a worthy replacement.

2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    To prove your point, Most Wanted is one of the only canon novels I have missed since I started reading them at release. Only just got it for Christmas

3. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Princess of Alderaan and Most Wanted were great. Both showed great grasp of all the characters and gave them all very imtinterest backstories.

Canto Bight was pretty fun as well.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I liked Legends of Luke Skywalker as well. A definite read if you're a Luke fan.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Sorry for the long wait, but going back over the Byss mission, I was actually wrong, he doesn't mention being an officer. Kyle's quote is, "I served on one of these ships back in my Imperial days." So it seems like it could certainly work for him having just been stationed on one as part of one of his Academy training missions.

Gamiel and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  6. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Im trying to write a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

- A time machine

-A teleporter

-A matter replicator

-A singularity Weapon

- Any type of droid

-Anything to do with holograms

-A food synthesizer

- Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

- A shrink ray

-A freeze ray

-pico and femtotechnology

-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

-Liquid metal armor or a nanomorph

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Canon New Republic?

Too bad you said no megastructures, or else I would suggest a Star Forge like entity that creates goods for the prosperity of the whole galaxy (not dark side war machines).

Perhaps it could be on using computers to compute in hyperspace? Since we know that’s something the Empire was looking into, and led to TLJ’s tracking technology.

Perhaps biological immortality?

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Cloaking device for smaller ships?

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The courting habits of the Jawa diaspora beyond Tatooine

Psadan building technique

Wookiee youth fashion

The history of arkanian jizz on Coruscant

Gungan shield aesthetics, a history

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Didn't we have a thread about GFFA acadenac papers? It could be useful as inspiration, if any body could dig it up

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Is this the thread you were thinking of? It's down on page 33. I remembered the thread but not the details so Google was no help. Had to do it the hard way..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Gamiel and DarthJaceus like this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes, that was the one I was thinking about. You should give it a look @Yunzabit

13. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Thank you!!! I very much did. All 3 pages

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How long ago can a thread be cold and it's still considered okey to post something in it?

15. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I don't see a problem with necroposts if there are no, more recent, threads on the subject.

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  16. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Evening people. Do you guys have any recommendations for novels set in The Old Republic era, aka the era where the game Star Wars: The Old Republic is set in?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    There's 4 novels that are set within the timeframe of The Old Republic game - The Old Republic: Decieved, The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance, The Old Republic: Revan and The Old Republic: Annihilation. Fatal Alliance was my favorite of the four but they're all fantastic

spicer and Jedi Master Kenobiwan like this.
  18. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Jedi Master Kenobiwan likes this.
  19. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I don't believe a thread has been created for it. Not sure if you already own it and were looking to discuss it, in which case the rest of my post will be useless to you, but if you don't and were looking for reviews or further info/previews, here's a start:

If you can read any German (or are willing to accept an approximate machine translation by Google or whatever), a thorough review (I believe by @germanjedi) has been posted on Jedi-Bibliothek, along with an extensive unboxing/leaf-through/summary video by Paul Duncan himself:

(I don't own it myself and my German is too poor to translate the J-B review any better than an online service could.)

(If anyone would like me to turn this post into its own thread, just @/PM me and I'll make it later this evening.)

20. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Does anybody have any idea where the best place to buy Star Wars Insider back-issues would be?

21. germanjedi

germanjedi Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2017
    Yeah, that's by me. The general gist of it is that Archives is a heavily George Lucas-focused chronicle of all six Star Wars films/spin-offs and both animated series from the 70s and 80s and if you care about GL's ideas and process, you should read that book! :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    https://titanmagazines.com/t/star-wars-insider/us/ - US
    https://titanmagazines.com/t/star-wars-insider/uk/?page=3 - UK

There's an option to select other countries on both sites.

I think this is digital but not sure what countries it does - https://www.zinio.com/gb/back-issues/star-wars-insider-m6082

DarthJaceus and Senpezeco like this.
  23. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  25. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    You know what. Its strange. Losing my uncle made me think of all the things I've lost in my life and the old continuity now known as Legends is one of them. I feel like I lost so much yummy lore and contents like different technologies (my main focus) and other cool stuff. Yes, I know a lot of stuff doesn't fit well together, like the Old Republic of the game SWTOR being more technologically advanced than later eras, or devices introduced at the same time that were never used by people because they were created in later stories, but I grieve for the old Star Wars. I wish they they didn't restart everything and instead just made the Sequel trilogy take place in 40 ABY, and just retcon everything. Leland Chee said Chewbacca's death was the cause for the reboot but I don't believe that is so bad to not have Chewbacca around. I love Chewie but between Legends and him- I pick Legends.