main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Conspicuously missing from this post: a question.

2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Legends isn't lost. I'm listening to Dark Force Rising right now :cool: . It still exists just as much as Disney's Star Wars does. And yes to me too, Legends will always be my chosen EU.

3. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be researching or working on?

1. It can't be a game-changer or have the potential to alter the storyline e.g. lasers that can punch through deflector shields or better targeting systems for stormtroopers

2. It can't have already been done in Legends or Canon

3. No technobabble please

4. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Again this is probably the wrong thread for that. But anyway, how about portable dry cleaning technology.

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Maybe something to do with the hover trains on Coruscant. Always could do with more train engineers in SW ;)

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The difference between the crystals created by the Death Star laser after its use against Jedha, Scarif, Alderaan and the Liberty.

7. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Whatever is thematically appropriate for the story you’re telling.

8. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Per the translated map in the new "Resistance", Dagobah is now on star charts. Do we know anything about this in canon, as in when it was charted and what's known about it by the general public? Was it made public by Luke, investigated for its Force-iness, latterly famous as the last home of Master Yoda, or is this little nugget the only thing we know about that?

9. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Since it is an FO map, there is a solid chance Kylo or Snoke are the entire reason it is on there. That and was it only charted by the order?

10. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I don't think anything else has been said in canon, but I'm also not sure you can trust on-screen map designs to reflect in-universe concerns accurately. They always have systems familiar to us spelled out.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  11. Trevor_Mereel

Trevor_Mereel Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2018
    Question: have there been any irreconcilable contradictions in canon yet?

12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Not to my knowledge, and I've been keeping a fairly close eye on things. Some small things have slipped through the cracks, but, as a whole, stuff is more connected now than ever. Hell, Rogue One directly set up a plot element for TLJ (Hyperspace Tracking), the Poe Dameron comic eluded to Resistance before it was out, and Rebels tied into Rogue One.

JediBatman likes this.
  13. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    What are the main minor screwups, really? Some contradictions about the Imperial Remnant, and perhaps Han's age? There was a quickly corrected glitch in the timetable of the second Vader comic but that only really ended up placing some Imperial tech earlier in the timeline than seemed likely. Am I missing much there? Nothing catastrophic for sure.

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, the only thing that still sticks in my mind is the fate of the Jedi Temple screwup from pretty early on.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  15. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I still cant believe they didn't make the original Imperial Palace.
    [​IMG]

Vthuil and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The bottom tier of that, reminds me very much of the Jedi Temple. Sadly, as I recall, the ROTJ Special Edition Blu-Ray showed an apparently completely unmodified Jedi Temple in the Coruscant Celebrations, so when they decided to tie the Palace to the Jedi Temple, they restricted themselves in what form the Palace could take.

Yup - the novelization of the Spark of Rebellion episodes of Star Wars Rebels, said the Jedi Temple had been razed to the ground and there was now no remnants of it, but this contradicts the ROTJ Blu-Ray, so didn't last long.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know the real life reason/reasoning to why the ST has so few non-humans and why they did not reuse any of the existing ones beside named characters and some extra mon cals?

18. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I have no answer for the few recurring races, but I do think they did have more aliens than prior trilogies. Canto Bight is a great example, almost everyone we see is a different species. The Resistance is sadly overly human, but still does have some nicely diverse aliens including some that are less humanoid that usual

19. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    That kind of thing happens when the writer wants to write about their own characters rather than someone elses already created characters. They want to see their alien designs not someone elses. It is the writer thinking about themselves rather than imagining what the fans might like or what would be best for the book or movie.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    JediBatman likes this.
  20. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I like the new alien designs.

Gamiel and vncredleader like this.
  21. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    So I wanted to bring up the canon species I love, and to make sure I remembered them I tried to find a list......and there is no good list for canon aliens. Even the Wook is outdated on that front. So random thought, should we start a thread similar to what @AdmiralNick22 did for starships in canon?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I like some of them too. But putting lots of new aliens together and not mixing in old ones is what made Canto Bight not look like Star Wars

JediBatman and Gamiel like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is there any read-through thread project for any of the WotC stuff?

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    One thing I really liked about the Canto Bight short stories is that each focused on at least two new species featured in TLJ. Some stories got really into what made these species unique while others just used them as salad dressing; but either way it was nice focusing on characters that generally were very distinct from humans.
    Humans are really the only species that you'll see everywhere. Obviously there's an OOU explanation for that, but even if it's the case IU, they seem to be the only species that consistently appear in every corner of the galaxy. Look at Resistance even- sure there's a Nautolan and a Klatooinian and a couple other familiar species, but for the most part it's filled with off-beat or even brand new species.

Gamiel, Daneira and Outsourced like this.
  25. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Resistance has a good mix I think.

Vthuil and Supreme Leader Woke like this.