main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Major Zuma

Major Zuma Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2019
    So I ended up listening to Lost Stars and Bloodline and Thrawn Alliances. Really enjoyed all three but for me personally, Bloodline was phenomenal it instantly became one of my favorites of the new canon! I loved the political intrigue and Claudia Gray has really started to shine for me in the new canon.

Ive decided my next choices will be: Phasma, Ahsoka, Alphabet Squadron.

Any recommendations on which to start first?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Of those three, I personally enjoyed Ahsoka most.

Major Zuma likes this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It also depends on what mood you're in. Phasma can be quite a bit depressing at times (for me, easily the most depressing of all the new books), while Ahsoka is the least so of the three.

FS26 and Major Zuma like this.
  4. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    Big fan of the darth bane trilogy and was wondering if there was any thing like that out now/coming in the future?

Major Zuma likes this.
  5. Major Zuma

Major Zuma Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2019
    If your into comics, Charles Soule's Darth Vader Dark Lord of the Sith is probably the best "Sith" centered story in the new canon in my opinion. Some real good Darkside stuff in that comic.

I really enjoyed the Dooku: Jedi Lost audio production which definitely has a lot more Jedi content but there is a lot of real good Dark-Side and Sith content as well.

bluealien1 likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't know if this is what you are looking for but the first book in DBT is mostly based on the Jedi Vs Sith comic

Nom von Anor, bluealien1 and Daneira like this.
  7. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    Thanks i'll look in to them

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Darth Plagueis is a good one, too. Bane is about the beginning of the Sith Grand Plan, Plagueis is how it all comes together 1000 years later.

PCCViking likes this.
  9. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    Is there anything like Wookieepedia pages, but instead of in-universe chronology, the page chronicles the publishing history? Many fan-wikis make it really hard to figure out the actual history of concepts/characters/etc. because they don't indicate what elements came first

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  10. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012

More of a focus on the films but it does hit the highlights in terms of literature

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What species that don't come from the Unknown Regions do we know can be found there? Beside humans and duros I mean.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Are we sure Duros aren't from the Unknown Regions....?[face_whistling]:p

But seriously, that's a good question because it seems the exact nature and boarder of the "Unknown Regions" differs between the old and new EU, and I imagine new movies/shows are going to affect this further (I suspect further conflation/confusion with "Wild Space"). With Force-significant planets like Ahch-To and Ilum both being in the UR, the Disneyverse may eventually explore this connection more. Likely there were many Force-sensitive individuals traveling through the UR once. Maybe the UR was not quite so unknown at one time.

On a rather boring and specific note, the Grysks in Thrawn: Treason were hijacking a number of ships with non-UR species to make slaves in the UR. One such species specifically mentioned were Dashades. But slaves dragged into the UR are probably not what you're looking for.

Regarding the old EU, I often wondered how much the Rakata had messed up species and may have moved things in and out of the UR. I was under the impression that some authors of the old EU assumed the UR was truly a "largely unknown" and largely unoccupied wilderness, while other authors assumed the Rakata (and maybe others... Celestials and whatnot) had, long before the films, been moving across the GFFA more or less equally without acknowledging these "unknown regions", and that the latter were a product of more recent times closer to the era of the films.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If they are breading, I do.

Personally I'm of the head-canon/fanon that the UR are unknown from the perspective of the Republic/Empire, Hutt Space and the other groups that are part of the pan-galactic community.

The UR is unknown because those areas are unexplored therefore they take time to explore, and there are already people there, many who are hostile,* who don't want other to just waltz in in their territory. Also, many explorers don't want other to know what they know since they are exploring for profit, not because of knowledge for knowledge sake.
    * Just like in the known regions but in the UR are there no Republic/Empire or similar that steps in when they try to make war/raids/other bad stuff.

Also, there have been no Jedi order around in the UR that have stepped in and stopped any kind of dark side traditions/beings/other making it possible for them to grow large. Creating a-kind of threat/s that most people from the Republic are just not one bit prepared for. Some originated there; other fled there, hunted by the Republic, whose citizens they once threatened.

But, just because the UR is unknown to Republic space, don't mean that the people who lives there have not explored their local space, even if that's all that they have been able to explore. And there is not an absence of trade, just that trade is highly dangerous which each trade-house/similar jealously guarding their secrets and often trade happen by you placing an order at your trader and the order will than travel from trader to trader until it comes to where what you asked for is made and then the finished goods will then travel the same way back - think of it as something similar to the Silkroad, or the trade between Constantinople and the Baltic sea countries during the Early and High Middle Ages.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    [​IMG]

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Also reposting this from the other random questions thread. I did get a response, but I wanted to see if anyone else knows anything that might back it up or contradict it:

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    the old EU had some species that was supposed to be not early in the hyperspace travelling business but also very numerous and found all over the galaxy - I remember that humans, duros, arkanians and devaronians was among them - and I was wondering I if something similar been established in the new EU?

17. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I don't recall any SW material that contradicts the answer you already got about the physics of sound in space in-universe, but this question (if one takes a annoyingly pedantic reading of the wording :p) has its own answer -- Anakin probably did hear those laser and engine noises (really, reproductions of them) because his ship was likely equipped with an aural sensor. An aural sensor produces audio simulations of nearby objects and events to help orient the crew.

18. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Well I just finished Queen's Shadow that had this line in the brief space battle at the end (Padme is in her ship at the time).

"Watching space battles was deeply unsettling on account of the silence in which they were conducted."

Hope this helps. Just off the top of my head.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Alpha-Red likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Forgive me, if this the wrong place to ask this.

Quick question, what is the new A/V symbol mean?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  20. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Audio/Visual. Here’s a Comms thread about the new tags.

21. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    In Jedi, the female pilots who were dubbed over by dudes - do we have canonical names for the characters? And are they canonically dudes or ladies?

22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I can't think of any besides Sila Kott, and she's female in both Legends and Canon.

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  23. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    There were two, but I don't think the other has been given a name yet.

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In SW Atlas they divided the galaxy in a grid and I was wondering if there have been any infomarions about how many stars each square holds, at an average?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note that descriptions have been added to the A/V and A&A tags - just hover your cursor over the tags in the header to see them.

The2ndQuest likes this.