main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we of any SW culture that's male chauvinistic? Beside Legend's twi'leks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I don't mean this tongue in cheek, because honestly many men in the old EU were like that. I'll give a typical example: yesterday on Wookieepedia I saw this as their front page featured article: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Fia_(engineer). Note the second sentence:

That is typical old EU. It reflects the mentality of not-that-long ago. As if only a rare few women have what it takes to be an engineer (or many other things). Some people might attribute it to the "chauvinistic Empire", but it went well beyond that, especially in little off-hand mentions like this. Certainly not all authors did it, but a fair number did.

FS26, Vthuil, Mia Mesharad and 3 others like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's true.

Restating the question: Do we of any SW culture that's been stated to be male chauvinistic and are not just that because of the time it was written in? Beside Legend's twi'leks

4. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    The better question is are there any that weren’t.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Hapes, and Dathomir are the ones I can come up with without looking things up that explicit were not

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hapes was hella chauvinistic. What was it, Agents of Chaos, that had Isolder having a bro-down with some guy because he had to protect Leia's honor or something and Leia was like "bitch I don't need no protecting" and Isolder was like "quiet woman I must do this". It might not have been Leia, but Isolder's line of thinking was totally at the expense of the woman involved. And he's one of the "good" Hapan men.

Plus there's Ta'a Chume's whole "women are tools for me to use for power" thing. Which I guess is technically female chauvinism, but when it's coming from the Queen Mother it'll probably pervade the entire society to an extent.

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Does anyone know which Dark Horse comic told the story of how Maul got his spider legs...I know it's out there, I just forget which one it was...Was it Darth Maul Death Sentence ?

8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    It's in Clone Wars Sith Hunters. One of the few comics I actually own. It's a fun story.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  9. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Could a bacta tank cure paralysis in the legs?

10. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Apparently not always, at least in Legends. In Dark Empire and Crispin's Han Solo trilogy, Han's friend Mako Spince was crippled below the waist. He did get medical help, as his friends visited him in the hospital. But they couldn't fix him. I can't remember if bacta treatment was used or not, but the result was that he could never use his legs again and was confined to a hoverchair.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    DarthJaceus and mes520 like this.
  11. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Thank you!

Nom von Anor likes this.
  12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I just came across this thread...the thread is locked, but now I have the same question as the original poster. What exactly is the relationship between Maz and Chewie? Prior to reading the post I had no idea that Malla had been recanonized, so I didn't bat an eyelash at the Maz/Chewie romance that was suggested at in TFA. But if Malla does exist in canon, and is married to Chewbacca, then what gives?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That he has a gal in every port.

14. OrganicMeatbag

OrganicMeatbag Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

15. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I think Chewie is loyal to Malla, he and Maz just flirt.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Nothing gives. There’s no romance suggested between them. Maz likes him, but Chewie isn’t biting, which is partially why he doesn’t go inside. If Chewie goes inside, Maz will harass him with unwanted advances, and he’ll squirm. It’s sexual harassment played as a joke. If Maz was a human male and Chewie was a human female, it wouldn’t go over well. Maz only gets away with it because she’s a female alien and women are allowed to be more sexually aggressive toward men. Women can call a man their boyfriend even when they’re not.

My question is, why is Jeb on the cover of Balance Point?

Alpha-Red and Todd the Jedi like this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Kathy Tyers saw Jeb's career ups and downs before any of us. Jacen was her mouthpiece. When the options were light side and dark side, Jacen went with no side and figured everyone else would play along.

a0e copy.jpg

Jacen! 2000- Please don't fight

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  18. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    In the Forces of Destiny episode where Maz helps Leia and Chewie get Leia's bounty hunter outfit for RotJ Chewienpicks Maz up and gives her a big hug and grins after the meet up and as she calls him her boyfriend. I don't think Maz the sexual harasser is the right interpretation of their relationship.

I think it's a bit between to old friends, mostly to mess with Han and other people

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, there's a time to call out sexual harassment disguised as jokes, and it's not that. Two old (literally and figuratively) friends joking around is just... two old friends joking around.

20. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    What's the difference between a "codebreaker" and a slicer?

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Borrowing from Wookieepedia, a "slicer" was an individual who specialized in slicing into computer systems and programs, and breaking encryption. This person would essentially be the real world equivalent of a computer hacker where they would physically slice into a cable wire, gain access to a certain system, and not need a droid to plug into a terminal.

The only time I've heard the word "codebreaker" in canon is the person with the alias of "Master Codebreaker" that Finn and Rose were supposed to meet on Canto Bight. Obviously his profession is that of a slicer, with an obvious code name. The only simile that comes to mind is the James Bond villain named "Jaws" who has a pretty on the nose name because of his sharp steel teeth and strong jaw.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Barriss_Coffee, Wrinty and Gamiel like this.
  22. aroc

aroc Jedi Knight

Sep 27, 2019
    I am new to the new cannon and have only read Master & Apprentice and Dooku. Both novels make reference to past Sith Lords and that Sith have been a problem but that was a millennium (millenniums?) ago. Does the new cannon have any more information on these ancient Sith

23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Yes, but it's pretty scattered. I'd say that the most direct reference you'll find is with Lord Momin, whose mask appears in both the Lando and Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith comics.

PCCViking likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sorry for the late replay but here are some more cultures that have been explicitly stated to not be male chauvinist :
    Selonia
    Davaronians
    Togorians
    Mandalorinas

I think we here have an example of the authors not really reading the summary (or having been given a bad summary) of the culture they are writing about, and/or the authors own cultural bias colouring how they present characters from other cultures.

25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I find that hard to believe since this was James "Master Referencer" Luceno. Anyway, that was just the example that sprang to mind. I'm sure if I reread COPL I could find some more examples.