main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I am 23 so I was alive in the early 2000s but not reading Star Wars novels. I was in a used bookstore this morning and saw some NJO hardcovers. What is the story behind different sizes?

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Different sized hardcovers? That's probably because there's the regular Del Rey versions and then the versions published by the Science Fiction Book Club, which are a little smaller.

Sturm Antilles and darthzac14 like this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think the jury's still out on that one. It looks too small to be Toora and she's got more of a Hutt body, but none of the Separatists' dimensions are correct in ROTS so that might not matter. I think some people argued she wasn't on Utupau because she was in a space battle later, but maybe she just ditched the council and never went to Mustafar.

I don't have my copy of ROTS with me and can't find the screenshot I'm looking for on google, but I think you can see that person in white get up and move about later. It doesn't really help determine who they are or aren't, but clearly the animators had a detailed copy of whoever it is.

4. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    The person really looks like they have a long, gray head to me, sort of donkey-like, which would definitely fit Wodrata.

5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I was spoiler free for the prequels. And I was watching that Clone Wars Dossier thread grow in the lead up to Ep II, just wanting to read it. After I saw Ep II it probably took me a week to get through it on the terrible, terrible, dialup I had back then. Good times, good thread.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

6. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Glad you liked it, @Darth_Duck! Although the Dossier began as a project by myself and @Leto II, I (mostly) disappeared during 2003-2005, as I was avoiding Episode III spoilers myself, leaving Leto to take the reigns and present some good material. My initial framework was to not just make sure all of the post-2002 Clone Wars stories fit together into a historical narrative, but to incorporate all of the obscure references that went as far back as the original Marvel comics and Brian Daley books. It was also a chance to tie together old dating inconsistencies from Rebel Assault II and the Thrawn Trilogy, which still worked under the initial assumption that the wars took place (or at least started) in 35 BBY. We had planned to tie together a series of skirmishes, such as the Stark Hyperspace War, and potentially show that they led to the powder keg of Naboo, which in turn -- historically -- might be seen as the conflict that kicked off the chain reaction of the Clone Wars.

I'm a bit sad that I never saw the project through to complete fruition, but I'm very thankful and glad that there was interest for those couple of years. I still keep very meticulous notes as I read and re-read everything over these last twenty years, so I'm not against the idea of still writing up some new material now that we have a solid 15+ years of novels, comics, and TV series to work from.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  7. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Wasn't the assumption that the Clone Wars ended in 35 BBY? I'm pretty sure that's what my copy of the second edition of the Guide to the Star Wars Universe said.

8. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Yes. That was the original placement date from Lucasfilm that lasted through the 90s.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I know the ROTJ screenplay says that the Organas are figureheads like UK monarchy today is, but does the EU of either canon talk about how much power the Organas do or don’t have?

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmm... that's a good question. I think the new continuity covers it more explicitly than the old did, specifically in Claudia Gray's Leia novel. I don't remember the details, but they definitely have more power, on and offworld, than the monarchs in the UK currently have. They seem to be central to moving finances around, drafting Alderaanian laws, hobnobbing with offworld delegates on Alderaan itself (not just Bail acting as Senator, but to keep face hosting parties with the planetary neighbors), etc.

DarthJaceus, Daneira and JediBatman like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know of any sentient, non-humanoid, interstellar species with an unknown homeworld?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    What about those space creatures that took Thrawn and Ezra at the end of Rebels?

Gamiel likes this.
  13. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    In Legends there is the Duinougwuin, aka the Star Dragons. We don't know their homeworld, but we do know that The Graveyard of the Dragons where they go in their final moments to die is located on Xuaquarres.

14. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Do you mean interstellar as in 'spacefaring' or as in 'residing in space'? My submission is the Assemblers, arachnoids from The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Spacefaring

16. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I don't think the Oswaft have a homeworld. They just live in the ThonBoka.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that the space around it is extremely nutrient-poor, effectively cutting them off from the rest of the galaxy - I would speculate that they may have evolved there as well.

DarthJaceus and Sturm Antilles like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That was my understanding, that the ThonBoka Nebula was their home world.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or at least, home region, given that the nebula itself is not a planet, even if planets might be present within it.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't think there have ever been specified that a home world need to be planet. Or am I wrong about this?

21. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I've personally never read anything to indicate that a homeworld could be anything but a planet.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  22. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    So whatever happened to Vima Sunrider?

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    She hopped into her Jeep Sunrider and drove off towards the sunset, never to be seen again.

24. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I'm trying to figure out where to place Star Wars: The Interactive Video Game on the timeline. This is difficult because it features a group of Rebels on the Death Star II, one of which was retconned to be Shira Brie. It therefore has to happen before she gets shot down by Luke in issue 61 of the original Marvel comic, but when did the Rebels first learn of the second Death Star?

DarthJaceus and Sturm Antilles like this.
  25. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    I read the Aftermath books a long time ago but I need some help to understand the contingency. Did Palpatine want a new empire like the First Order? Or was this Rax's idea? Should anyone survive (frome Palpatines's POV)?