main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Crimson Empire takes place before the Jedi Academy books but was written afterwards, so it's not going to be referenced in the books.

Dark Empire has no references to the Tales of the Jedi series as it was written beforehand. Tales of the Jedi is Tom Veitch expanding upon the Jedi of old that he originally introduced in Dark Empire.

Some of Tales of the Jedi came out before the Jedi Academy trilogy, but it's not at all necessary to read them beforehand. The only essential comics to read between the Thrawn Trilogy and the Jedi Academy trilogy are Dark Empire, Dark Empire II, and Empire's End.

viktorkocsis13 and Gamiel like this.
  2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Crimson Empire I & II take place before the JAT, but they were both written later. You'd only have to read them if you really wanted to know the technical end of the Empire and a little bit of added exposition on Dark Empire. Neither are really essential.

Xammer and PCCViking like this.
  3. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Besides Mace do we know the Jedi Council members who commanded the different systems armies during the Clone Wars?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Unfortunately, it seems the only one we know of was the 3rd Army, led by Obi-Wan.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Anyone know of any Clone battalions or even individual Clones who wore armour with purple markings?

I can't off the the top of my head think of any examples, which would be a shame since it's one of my fave colours and the rest of the rainbow has ample coverage ;)

6. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    There's a few:
    http://www.rebelscum.com/tacOrder662.asp
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/187th_Legion
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Law
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/182nd_Legion
    Edit: Wookieepedia says Law belonged to the 187th, but I've read the comic and it's completely unsupported.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  7. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Is there any way to read Star Wars Manga: Black or Silver? I've looked everywhere and it seems to be a dead end. All I could find was a sketchy listing on eBay. Star Wars fans are pretty great at preserving obscure, out-of-print literature, but so far I've found nothing on these two.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got both of them somewhere in a bookcase. I think they were UK and Japan only when they came out. Pretty sure I got mine in a local bookstore. I think a French version came out later. Amazon UK lists the French version but doesn't have any.

Edit - have you tried eBay UK?

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  9. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    No, but I'll be sure to look into it.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you speak French (or have a French/English dictionary) you could try looking for that edition as well. I think it came out later. I took a look on a couple of book sites like Abebooks and Powells but didn't see any.

11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I remember this old image, I think it might have been on this site, with action figures of Chewie and Lumpy and the caption:

Lumpy: Dad, what's Life Day?
    Chewie: Why, Life Day is....is......you know, I have no idea Let's look it up on Wookieepedia.

Can't seem to find it anymore, is it still up anywhere?

Edit: nevermind, found it.

12. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Can a clone officer give orders to a Jedi if they are above them in the chain of command? We have plenty of examples of clones leading units with Jedi at lower positions. Would a clone in charge of a brigade give orders to a Jedi in charge of a subsidiary regiment? Are there any useful anecdotes?

Xammer likes this.
  13. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Do we ever seen Military Police in the Republic or Empire?

14. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Would the clone troopers guarding/pursuing Ahsoka at the end of TCW S5 count?

15. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    That one's interesting. The Coruscant Guard aren't part of the Grand Army. I believe they were strictly law enforcement, and thus, in this case, just prison guards.

16. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    That seems like a waste of clones. Kamino is just one planet, and you'd think they'd be struggling to try to keep up with the Separatists' production of war droids...so you'd want every single one of them on the front lines.

17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Why do so many people call Palpatine "Plapy"? I used to shrug it off as a typo, but I've never actually seen it spelled "Palpy", always "Plapy". Is this some inside joke from 15 years ago?

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've never called him 'Plapy'. I have called him 'Palpy' though.

19. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I've heard "Palps", "Frank" and "the Senate" but it's pretty easy to figure out where those came from. "Plapy" I just don't get.

20. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Not to mention in ROTS we see clones as firefighters.

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Where are you seeing "Plapy"? I've seen "Palpy", but never "Plapy".

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  22. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I was thinking the same thing, but I searched these forums and it does seem to crop of a few times, once even from all the way back in 2001.

23. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Do we know why some Imperial pilots wear black dress uniforms and others wear olive drab? Juno Eclipse and Soontir Fel were both captains at one point, yet they wear completely different uniform colors.

24. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I thought it came from a typo in a thread title at some point. One of those things that stayed around and couldn't be fixed without a mod doing it and the mods just left it to be funny, so forum members picked up on it. I could be totally wrong about that, though -- it was definitely in a thread title in the IX SA forum, but if it goes back to 2001 it must have been a throwback to an older joke and I just assumed it had started there.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    SpecForce Trooper and Alpha-Red like this.
  25. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh yeah, that's the other thing that confuses me...it's supposed to be this old joke from way back, but I've only started seeing it recently.