main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012

H.O.P.E Squad at your service.

And they have combat umbrellas!!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    "I'm Mary Poppins y'all!"

3. TheAnakinSolo

TheAnakinSolo Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2020
    What EU or Canon story, if any, go into detail about the politics between episodes 1 and 2? The beginnings of the separatist movement, etc.

4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Queens Shadow touches on it at least, it covers Padme's early time as Senator and there are some rumblings of the coming separatist crisis but it's more an undercurrent than anything specific.

TheAnakinSolo likes this.
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I've brought this up before but I'm curious if anyone else here has opinions but are Kevin J Anderson Jedi Academy Books really the first books of the 90's to really try and tie together the various Star Wars media's of Books and Comics together and make them more of a singular cohesive story. Because I know before hand during the TTT and DE days books and comics really were their own thing.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd say that, in the 90s, when it comes to actively referencing other works, KJA was the first to put some effort into it, yes, specifically going out of his way to namedrop C'baoth, Thrawn and the Emperor Reborn in Jedi Search, Han's winning a planet in a sabacc game too, and specifically mention the Witches of Dathomir from The Courtship of Princess Leia as well, in Dark Apprentice at the earliest, if not earlier. I believe Zsinj also got a namedrop too. The Truce At Bakura was referenced as well.

I don't think he ever referenced the Marvel SW comics though, or Jedi Prince - though Veitch made an allusion to Zorba, in Dark Empire's endnotes.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

When did the Marvel stuff get folded into mainline EU.

I know Lumiaya was i forget retconned into being that one person Luke had a thing for in the Marvel comics but that couldn't have been the first time Marvel stuff was folded in.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it tended to be on a case by case basis, a little at a time. A. C. Crispin namedropped Katya M'buele and Rik Duel from it, for example, in the Han Solo Trilogy.

Lumiya had always been Shira Brie in Marvel (she appeared under both names and it was made explicit that they were the same person) but I think Legacy of the Force was the first post-ROTJ Lumiya reference. Later, there were references to her activities between the Marvel era and Legacy.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  9. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Yes, Zsinj gets a mention in one of the three books, as Daala and Kratas try to make sense of things that happened in the galaxy while they were out of the picture in the Maw. Also, I believe Anderson makes a small reference to the Jedi Prince Books, mentioning a slavelord(if I'm not mistaken) on the other side of Kessel from where Moruth Doole has his operation.

Edit: About Lumiya, wasn't there a short story featuring her in the 90s, Dark Star Of the Empire?

Edit-2: This story

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Lumiya:_Dark_Star_of_the_Empire

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  10. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Was there ever an in-universe explanation (Canon or Legends) for the wardrobe malfunction in return of the Jedi that had all the imperial uniforms the same rank?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Good point - must have missed that one.

12. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Not specifically for ROTJ, but I think the Rogue One visual guide said something about rank standards varying from place to place, as a way to acknowledge that there's always going to be those kind of continuity issues.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Also Legacy was when they retconned Luminaya into the Crimson Empire stuff right?

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe it was around that time, yes, with Carnor Jax becoming one of Lumiya's allies.

15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The best way to understand galactic politics pre-AOTC is the Holonet News website, starting here. These were put out in more or less real time in the months leading up to Attack of the Clones in 2002. Read every article in every section, then go to the Archives section and go to the next volume.

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So here's something I've been thinking about since having this discussion on another thread but.

Since George was very much against having EU authors not touch the Prequel Era and the Clone Wars (Minus Zahn's little touches to the lore and a few things) why did George let EU authors essentially establish what the Sith of the ancient past were even creating a species and home world and everything.

Like the Prequel Sith don't 'technically' contradict the Sith of old...But it is interesting George let that stuff slide

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Simple - the story wasn't written. Lucas liked to change his mind. A lot.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

As was his right too

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    But is it? When you're selling stories in a series? If say the new She-Ra decided to just go: Yeah, Hordak? We're making him a total Nazi now - there would have been a virtual explosion, right? Regardless of creators right to do whatever they want.

Plus, every SW story sold was authorised by LFL, so sure Lucas can turn around and say he's throwing all that out, but it's a crappy way of going on. Hell, Veitch and KJA checked before doing TotJ, they got told yeah, it's fine, go ahead. Ditto Zahn with the clones in TTT.

It's the old, old line:Just because you could doesn't mean you should.

20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well She-Ra is different since it's a one series show, if season 5 contradicted build up of season 4 that's a problem.

But that's the nature of a multi media franchise...Authorial intent is dead, editorial is gonna reboot...Nothing last forever. Comic book fans have been dealing with it for years.

That's just the nature of the business.

21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well it would be nice if he would just acknowledge that he was changing his mind...instead of going on about how this was his artistic vision all along.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And if it did? If they did a Lucas? What then?
    Correction - superhero comics have been doing it and it's arguably part of the appeal and is known at the outset. If you want to court derision in superhero comics, just claim that "dead is dead" and watch the laughter response. But, if it had been sold as 'everything counts, everything sticks'? That changes the picture.

What I'm getting at is: What is the basis that a story sold to you on? And what happens when that gets changed completely, but you get told it's all still part of the same series?
    That would be more honest, still wouldn't be happy about it but I do give points for honesty.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Jedi Ben

Easy..Realize that canon is a stupid concept and the only thing that counts if one personal head canon. That's what i think everyone should do regardless of what they tell you.

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And how much money are you willing to part with on that basis?

Personal canon? Ehh, been there, done that, got the T-shirt, BBQ'd the Porg. I'm still buying some SW products but it's reduced. Why? Well, clearly the people at the top don't give a crap so why should I?

On the books, I think there's a lot of good work that deserves a purchase. Similarly the comics, if available in OHC / Omnibus form.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    StartCenterEnd likes this.
  25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

If i enjoy it then how much it cost.

People honestly need to get over what they are being sold on and just enjoy the story or stories on it's own terms.

If canon really matters then they don't really enjoy it for itself and more if it "Counts" or not. And that honestly is a very shallow reason to enjoy something in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2020
    Jedi Comedian likes this.