main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, you're going to find money matters. ;)

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well yes, I'm not gonna spend money willy nilly, even if something was guaranteed to last. ;)

But that's the risk you take with going into anything long term with no ending. Directions will change reboots will happen. You eventually either learn to get off the train or keep going.

And personally if we had that mentality more fandom would be a far more tolerable place.

Enjoy the ride while you can is my philosophy and live in the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2020
  3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There's only so many cards to play on long-running franchises.

LFL-Disney opted for 'end of saga'.

If you stick with 'continuing adventures' you have to do a time jump eventually to shuffle the old cast off-stage if you're not killing them - see Avatar / Korra. Feist tended to move the story on for each major series for Riftwar, but the new cast tended to have remarkable similarity to the old cast. Brooks is similar on Shannara.

"So, what do you do hotshot? What do you do?" [face_devil]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I just think your making mountains out molehills here.

I really don't see any problem with anything here?

Kinds has weird leaps in logic for me ?

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Huh? Where are you getting the idea I'm being critical?

This was more of an understanding of the bind writers tend to be in on long series and recognising neither option will work for everyone.

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh...Cool ;)

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Our previous exchange hit a logical endpoint so went off on a new one, but wasn't that clear about it.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Actually to go back to our starting point....I guess I never got into what i was talking about.

Yes Lucas changed his mind...BUT....Why did he let writers do essentially what would be the origins of Jedi/Sith conflict when the Clone Wars a no-go zone.

Like I find it strange that both the Vong and the Nogri being Sith were ideas that were shot down.

But a Sith species on Korriban...Sure...You can do that.

Much of this question stems from discussions I've had with @Sauron_18 on this thread https://boards.theforce.net/threads...story-over-time.50053370/page-4#post-56893180

Sauron_18 likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, it's weird.

But I don't think Lucas ever liked the idea that the mass success of SW rendered it less 'his', so he kept trying to re-assert that it was and couldn't understand why there was resistance.

So, those other SW stories LFL approved? Maybe he just didn't consider them to be SW proper, despite being happy to make money off of them.

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Jedi Ben

I mean I think that's obvious....Even after Dark Empire came out for example he said that in HIS Star Wars the Emperor is dead. So yeah, he never consider them HIS Star Wars.

I guess i'm more interested in the things that go veto'd than got approved.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think, to be fair, there were a good few years between Lucas liking DE and giving out copies as Xmas prezzies and later slagging it.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean he might have liked it but that doesn't mean he ever considered it HIS Star Wars.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Who knows? It's impossible to know when someone thought what. From what I can tell it was Jurassic Park that prompted Lucas to contemplate doing the PT. That would have been the same time DE was being published, so approval would have been a year or two earlier.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

True but i do think approval doesn't mean outright George endorses it as HIS Star Wars. Hence why eventually we did get G Canon T Canon S Canon etc etc by the end. and that G Canon always overwrote anything else.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    See, if any of that makes any sense to you then you are ready to read DC Comics, eventually graduating to X-Men.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So basically he wanted it both ways...be able to make money off licensed material, but also keep his keep his artistic vision intact.

Out of curiosity, how much money did the old EU material bring in for him anyway? What if he had just vetoed it all? I mean, he was still making plenty of money off merchandise just based on the movies.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    By late 80s that had stopped, no? HTTE and DE reignited a dormant fanbase.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    These were just before TFA and TLJ, respectively. Take out the EU and it's not a giant loss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jedi Comedian and Alpha-Red like this.
  19. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Hmm yeah, and with gaming a lot of the stuff is set during the events of the movies themselves, so there's not that much to veto for storyline reasons.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Todd, typical TV elitist. [face_devil]

21. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I suspect for Lucas it may have been more about his characters, who were all pretty involved in the Clone Wars. Perhaps he felt like having anything pinned down for the Sith so close to his era would make things confusing, when having set off in the distant past could be removed enough that they could do pretty much whatever and he could ignore it without it being an outright contradiction... which is pretty much exactly what happened, I guess.

Vthuil and Alpha-Red like this.
  22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How did the prequel-era Jedi know which babies to midichlorian-test?

23. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Maybe they can sense an individual's Force potential first, and then the midichlorian test is just to double-check?

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Maybe these things were common in the Republic. Since the Jedi were so integral to the Republic's defence and diplomacy there may have been a widespread effort to test as many citizens as possible for Jedi potential.

25. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I just assumed midichlorian testing was standard operating procedure for newborns in the Republic.

Daneira and SpecForce Trooper like this.