main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    A lot of the Marvel comics post-ROTJ have the Empire in them separate from Lumiya. They're still a prominent faction the Alliance has to deal with (which is in keeping with later continuity).

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Does Dynasty of Evil elaborate on Zannah’s motive for killing Caleb? I just finished Rule of Two and was left wondering why she felt that Caleb had to die.

3. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    To me, the obvious answer is that he was a loose end. She got him to heal Bane by promising to out herself to the Jedi, something which she could not do.
    The Jedi were already on their way, so after the healing was near done she butchered him so he couldn't tell them any details himself, and drove her cousin bonkers so they would think he was the "last sith" mentioned in their message.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    darklordoftech likes this.
  4. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    General question: does anyone know how Glitterstim telepathy works (in the Legends canon)? Are there rules for how effective an interrogator using Glitterstim to enhance their telepathy is or can be? Can someone being interrogated by a glitterstim user effectively hide relevant information? I'm working on a scene for my fanfiction and I want to hew to any established rules in the Legends canon, but the description in Jedi Search is not very helpful (it implies that you can't hide anything, ever, which I'm skeptical of and limits my storytelling options).

5. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    This isn't Legends specific because it's FFG, which is sort of neither Legends nor canon, but here's what the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook has to say:
    It's sort of vague, obviously. Probably also depends on how much you take and how undiluted it is.

6. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    Yeah, unfortunately it's just not very well defined. Well, that's unfortunate on the one hand, because it means I don't know exactly what is and isn't possible... but it also means I have a bit of flexibility when it comes to storytelling, which is a good thing I guess. I wonder if it was ever discussed in any of the old WEG sourcebooks.

(I already checked Jedi Academy, and beyond a mention it wasn't really.)

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Was there a recent general Star Wars guidebook put out that is newbie friendly (and has TROS and Mandalorian content in it), or is Everything you Need to Know About Star Wars a good one?

8. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Has any source actually pictured the Felucian Ground Beetle, the adult form of the Gelagrub? Was very surprised to see the Wook has no pictures of it, making me wonder if any even exist.

9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The Star Wars Book lends itself to this role pretty well, and does include TROS and Mandalorian content.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is there any info on what the average person in the galaxy thought of the Clone Wars during the First Order era?

11. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    So, as
    the granddaughter of not just a king but an emperor, is Rey a Disney Princess?

Alpha-Red and PCCViking like this.
  12. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I don't think we need spoiler tags for TROS anymore. And Disney Princesses are only those officially deigned by Disney to be so. There are 12 (one of whom* is not actually a princess by any other definition of the term) - Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan*, Tiana, Rapunzel, Merida, and Moana.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean, semantically, there's two types of Disney Princesses- the Official Disney Princess™ line, and Disney characters who are princesses. And they're not one for one, since some of the Disney Princesses™ aren't technically princesses (not just Mulan, Tiana, Belle, and Pocahantas as well), and one isn't even Disney proper, being a Pixar character (Merida), and of course there are several Disney characters who are princesses that aren't part of the line (Kida, Nala, Anna).

So Rey is the latter, a Disney character that is (arguably) a princess. Same as Leia, which is why in 2012 there was a flood of fan art with Leia hanging out with Cinderella and the others. I think it's safe to assume people talking about "Disney Princesses" are unaware of the official line, and are unintentionally referring to the latter category. AKA, it's silly to get into the semantics of it anyway.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  14. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Well, the whole concept of "does this mean X is a Disney Princess?" is just for laughs, anyway. Leia hanging out with Cinderella is an amusing juxtaposition in a way Snow White hanging out with Cinderella isn't.

Anyway, aside from Mulan, they are all arguably Princesses. Tiana marries the frog prince at the end of the movie. Belle marries the Beast, who is a prince. Pocahontas is the daughter of Chief Powhatan, who is the ruler of the tribe. Mulan is the only one who was a commoner at the beginning of the movie and remains one at the end. I don't know who Kida is, Nala is a queen (and a lion whereas all the Disney Princesses are humans/), and I'm really surprised Anna isn't a Disney Princess considering how popular Frozen was, but maybe it's because she ends the film as a queen - Arendelle is a true kingdom and not a principality like the other Disney monarchies (though, if I recall correctly, Eric and Ariel become king and queen in the second Little Mermaid film, but everyone rightfully ignores the sequels).

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm not up on my fantasy royalty rules, but there's wiggle room for Belle and Tiana to be queens, not princesses. And as Moana says, daughter of the chief isn't technically a princess.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If I remember right was Powhatan historically considered the king of his people by the English (possibly mostly out of political reasons since it sounds better that they are allied to a king in the new world), making Pocahontas a princess in their eyes.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Daneira likes this.
  17. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I recall reading somewhere that the definition of "Official Disney Princess™" was specifically and intentionally worded to include Mulan and exclude Elionwy (from The Black Cauldron) and Kida (from Atlantis), who are unambiguously princesses but whose films were box office bombs. No idea if it's true but it certainly sounds like a Disney corporate move.

Daneira likes this.
  18. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, it’s definitely all about the who popular characters are (which still makes it surprising neither of the Frozen royal women are considered princesses, considering how popular Frozen was)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Wait, they're not? Wasn't at one of them in the princess lineup in Ralph Wrecks the Internet?

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wreck It Ralph had the comments section muted so we didn't have to hear why the reason Pocahontas counted as a Disney princess was because England recognized her father as a king.

Also I have issues with them excluding Elionwy. But clearly they didn't read past the first book, except the title of the second.

21. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    The Black Cauldron... now there's a name I've not heard for a long time... a long time.

I probably haven't seen it since its theatrical run, honestly.

22. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Is there any upcoming content taking place in the sequel era? I’m starved for more sequel content but I am afraid that the negative reception of the films is going to put all that on hold indefinitely

23. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Some of the Star Wars Adventures comics are sequel era. The Rogue Squadron movie may take place post-TROS. I’d be surprised if not a single episode of Star Wars: Visions (an anthology series) was sequel era. The currently under construction hotel at Disney World takes place, much like Galaxy’s Edge, between TLJ and TROS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthJaceus likes this.
  24. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Good to see there’s at least a trickle of content for those of us hungry for it. Do you happen to know if the Star Wars Tales VR game takes place in the sequel era? I know it takes place on Batuu @Daneira

25. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I believe, and I might be wrong because I haven't played it, that the "frame story" is sequel era but then it goes into other eras as well. There was a High Republic lightsaber training scene or something I saw.

DarthJaceus likes this.