main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    Got a question: Why does the Empire look as established as it is in Mist Encounter (short story by Tim Zahn) with TIE fighters, Victory-Class Destroyers, all the modern uniforms for the troops, etc. despite happening a week after Episode III? I mean in-universe, of course, OOU it's obvious it was because at the time people had a different idea of how the transition from Republic to Empire went, what i'm asking is basically: What was the retcon to explain it?

2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I don't have much of an answer to this question, but its interesting how they later managed to create a more Clone Wars aesthetic going so far as to even have Phase II armor still in use.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    As horribly underrepresented as they are, the Victories did fight in the Clone Wars. Additionally, there was some sort of proto-TIE Fighter operating before the Clone Wars. Apparently TIEs existed before the Clone Wars (Wookieepedia doesn't give a source, but the Technical Commentaries links this to the Imperial Sourcebook). It would probably be something like helicopters during WWII- existing, but still in the experimental stages.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The retcon is that Zahn rewrote that story with Venators and V-wings (and the comic has the stormtroopers wearing clone armor).

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The version in the Thrawn prologue is also the second rewrite.

The Legends version of Mist Encounter still has all the Victory-class and TIE mentions - but there were some small changes between the version in Star Wars Adventure Journal 7, and the version in the Outbound Flight paperback. Specifically, Palpatine's previous title is mentioned as being Chancellor in the second version.

6. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Not to mention Eli Vanto being the biggest difference between the canon version and Legends.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Ohh, i see, the version i read was from the Adventure Jorunal, so it's the un-retconned version.
    This makes sense too, especially for the Victories, though it is weird how TIEs are alluded as being already kind of outdated and "undermanaged" in the Imperial Navy and Army by the point of Mist Encounters, despite the Empire just forming and the Republic never (or rarely) using such ships.

Thanks for the answer, i wasn't aware that it was partially rewritten.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Did Jango Fett think that Tyranus and Dooku were separate clients of his or did he know that Tyranus and Dooku were connected?

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not sure if Newcanon has confirmed one way or another, but in Legends he definitely knew that they were the same person. This was a plot point in the Boba Fett junior novels.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  10. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Jango met Dooku in the bounty hunter game iirc. It should be obvious I guess.

11. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    It should be noted that we get a brief glimpse of the canon version of this meeting in the Age of Republic comics.
    Here Dooku has his hood up signifying he's in "Tyranus" mode. But considering they meet in AOTC I don't think Jango's dumb enough to overlook the obvious similarities.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Is there any expanded info on these guys?
    [​IMG]

They replace the ineffective Coruscant police droids in Season 5's Fugitive arc, and are tasked with capturing Ahsoka (before Shock Troopers led by Anakin and Plo Koon arrive). They have a very distinctive look, and I've always wondered whether they're even human/alien and not just droids (similar to the old ones seen pre-S5). Do they show up anywhere else, is there any BTS stuff (concept art, crew statements) about them?

13. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Those are the specifically the Underworld Police. I think they're supposed to be sentient. George came up with them, and they were also going to be in the 1313 game.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    When Son of Mortis showed Anakin the future, did Anakin find out that Palpatine is Darth Sidious?

15. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    I know that Heir to the Jedi was meant to be Legends before the reboot, but when it got rebranded, was anything changed to fit canon? More specifically, is there anything in it that wouldn’t fit into legends?

16. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Considering the alternate story that potrayed what would happen had Anakin and the Son escaped Mortis told us they killed Sidious on Coruscant and ruled the Galaxy, i'd say he definetly did find out.

On a side note, i don't remember where that short alternative story was released, was it Insider?

17. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    What were the theories on what the deal was with Nom Anor before the NJO actually started?

18. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    That's actually a really interesting question! I wonder what sort of crazy stuff the people would have theorized.

darklordoftech and Riv_Shiel like this.
  19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi everyone. @Gamiel referred me here because I had a question related to GFFA terminology for a fanfic I’m writing, and he said people here might be able to help. So, here it is:

What does the GFFA call a building or depot at a military installation (or similar) where all the ground vehicles (speeders, troop transports, etc.) are kept? In RL that seems to be called a motorpool, but for some reason that doesn’t sound quite right for the GFFA—I guess because SW lore doesn’t use the word “motor” much? I don’t know. Some folks in fanfic suggested various combinations involving “depot,” so that’s where I’m leaning, but I thought I would check here too, and I would be glad to hear any suggestions you might have. Thanks so much in advance! :)

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    JABoomer likes this.
  20. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    It's worth noting "motor pool" was apparently used to describe the area of Jabba's Palace that stored his skiffs and sail barge. But there's alternatives if it still sounds off.

Also to clarify most dictionary definitions I found say that a motor pool is "a fleet of military vehicles", not necessarily the place where they're stored. Though I feel like I've heard it used that way before . You could just remove the "motor" part and call it a "vehicle pool", "speeder pool", "walker pool". Maybe call it "the stables" as an ironic nick name.

I'm personally a fan of "bay", "docking bay", "vehicle bay", "launch bay", "hangar bay". Usually when we see that word in Star Wars it's to refer to where ships are kept, but I see no reason why other vehicles couldn't be a part of it. (After all we just mentioned a "barge" that floats across the desert instead of the sea, terms can be a bit flexible).

Gamiel, JABoomer and Findswoman like this.
  21. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Chapter 5 of Tarkin: Tarkin uses deductive reasoning to infer that "the vehicle pool has become a rendezvous area for spice users."

Gamiel, Findswoman and JediBatman like this.
  22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    @JediBatman @Daneira thank you both so much, that’s very helpful! It’s great to know that “vehicle pool” appears in established lore, and that’s probably what will best suit my purposes—“bay” implies something that’s part of a ship or station or some other larger vehicle, whereas the one I’m writing about is just a building on the ground, on a planet. Thanks again—it’s fun to be visiting Lit again! :)

Daneira, JABoomer and JediBatman like this.
  23. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    What places the Ewok movies chronologically prior to ROTJ?

24. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm thinking of the game Company of Heroes here, where there's a building called a "tank depot". You could just swap out "tank" for a more generalized "vehicle depot". I think that's a little more clear than "vehicle pool" if you ask me.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Originally it wasn't planned to be prior to ROTJ but long after. However, Leland Chee decided to place it there because Wicket doesn't look ancient, but young:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Caravan_of_Courage:_An_Ewok_Adventure

Continuity

The film was classified as C-canon in the Holocron continuity database,[37] and was officially set in 3 ABY.[3]Producer Thomas G. Smith claimed that the film shows a young Ewok playing with a toy AT-AT, which would indicate that the Galactic Empire had been on Endor by that point.[8][38] Eric Walker has said that Smith told him that the crew saw the film as being set 150 years after Return of the Jedi, setting it around 154 ABY.[20] Leland Chee considered using this date for the Holocron, but ultimately rejected it due to Wicket's youthful appearance.[39]