main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It was sort of before my time, but I do recall in the early 2000s that a fair number of people here thought Callista had gotten the shaft. I remember because at the time I first was posting I hadn't read those books, but I had played Mysteries of the Sith and knew Mara from a couple of books, and I got the distinct impression some people found Mara abrasive and Callista was a sad, gentler character who many thought was more deserving of Luke's love and was more Luke's type than Mara. I think also there was that "Mara came first" so many had wanted the underdog (Callista) to succeed. In fact, I remember there was quite a lot of hate toward Mara at that time.

When I finally got around to systematically reading all the books, I had wanted to root for Callista because of the first impression that I got vicariously through this forum. But I found she was... boring? It wasn't that I disliked her or anything, but I thought Mara stood out more on her own as a character with unique traits. Callista didn't have much of a personality.

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean I can get why Mara won out in the end as OTP ....Mara just has both the more interesting personality, backstory, and connection to Luke.

(Re-listening to Heir to the Empire now...Mara gives me those Catra vibes as a She-Ra fan ;))

3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Found something strange while researching Battlefront 3 on the incredible Free Radical Archive.
    This piece of concept art for the Corsucant map shows a very unique-looking Republic vessel in the center.
    [​IMG]
    However, we've definitely seen this ship in fan works as either the "Legacy-class" or "Venator II-class".
    [​IMG]
    Do we know where and when the "Legacy-class" originated? The concept art would probably be from around 2007. Did this ship come from Free Radical, or did the developers just borrow a fanon ship for some concept art?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So like really nerdy question, but when would one consider the Sequel Era to begin

Do we consider it to begin with Force Awakens

Or do we consider it to begin with Bloodline

Personally I kinda like Bloodline as the start up point myself only because that's when the two factions arise and we can include the "Cold War" into the Sequels as well.

5. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    In what Legends material did Boba Fett first make an appearance, making it clear he survived his time in the Sarlacc?

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Dark Empire!

(I think)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2021
    Alpha-Red likes this.
  7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Was it Dark Empire that spelt out how Boba escaped the sarlacc, or did he just sorta show up again without explanation?

Also, what's his story for how he survived in canon? Is there one yet?

8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Marvel Star Wars #81, "Jawas of Doom," which shows him being belched out of the Sarlacc's mouth shortly after the sail barge explosion. Of course, he wound up back in the Sarlacc at the end of that story... but that was the first time.
    No, not yet.

Nom von Anor, Alpha-Red and JABoomer like this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    First book of the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy tells about his being rescued once he got out of the pit. It's in the parts headed 'Now'.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That's right, but I think Dark Empire was the thing that brought Boba back into the fold

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think Phasma has to be in the mix but can't recall if that was pre-Bloodline.

12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The flashbacks are definitely pre-Bloodline.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That's right, I always forget Phasma has a present day component to it.

Hmm...This then puts Bloodline more as the front runner for my start of the "Sequel Era" ...Which I'm okay with since that at least gives us a good what 5-7 years of Cold War era to technically be part of the Sequels before TFA.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So is there a episode of Droids that tied into the Vong backstory? Is it the Great Heep S2 episode? Cuz they just added Droids to Disney plus and I thought there's a episode that was used with the Vong

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    In the old EU, yes, that's where the Great Heap-type droid came from. It was a retcon to match what was known of the enemies of Vuffi Raa's "species" in the Lando books, and connect them all to the Vong galaxy (I guess to help explain why the Vong hate robots so much, since there are all the robot-type species running about causing wars).

If you haven't seen the Great Heap episode, I recommend it for uh.... really the weirdest thing I think ever came out of Star Wars. There is literally an Imperial Officer shouting about a droid harem. I don't know. I don't know...

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I've seen it but clearly been too long!

Speaking of Droids, anyone know which episode where Threepio says "Freedom is everybody's fight!" while falling or something. Been in my head for literally decades.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I've never watched Droids, but I just punched the quote into Google and...it's "Escape Into Terror".

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Yep - second episode, about ten minutes in. Literally just watched it like twenty minutes ago [face_laugh]

BigAl6ft6 and Alpha-Red like this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Probably saw that episode when I was 5 or 6 and it stuck ahaha

Alpha-Red likes this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So like is it me or in The Thrawn Trilogy does it make it seem the Republic and Empire are like two separate entities and not the Republic becoming the Empire.

21. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Is Squadrons set pre or post the battle of Jakku? The Rebels have been rebranded the New Republic, but other than that I'm not sure when in the timeline it falls (pre-Mando for sure, given the smaller scale Imperial Remnant).

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Explicitly pre-Jakku. More or less the whole campaign revolves around the Starhawk prototype.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's also concurrent with the second Alphabet Squadron book, which if you follow that trilogy is explicitly pre-Jakku.

Daneira and darkspine10 like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I watched The Great Heep last night, holy cats, that thing is insane. Aside from Heep himself hollering the whole time, the butler droid (an actual butler-looking droid) serving up Artoo units, the Droid Harem is absolutely bonkers. Artoo's girlfriend droid and the fact that at one point there's a Droid chilling by the pool with sunglasses an umbrella drink reading "Play Droid".

Friggin 80s man.

No "Trouble Again" song though, that's a demerit point for sure.

25. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    That is absolutely hilarious. I had to check and, sure enough, Wookieepedia is fully aware of "Play Droid." I haven't actually watched The Great Heep in its entirety since it's original airing just over 35 years ago (!) so it'll be a treat once I reach that part of my Droids re-watch.

Iron_lord and BigAl6ft6 like this.