main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    "Rebellions are built on hope."

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Did Leia have Noghri bodyguards stuck to her permanently from the Thrawn trilogy all the way to FOTJ and beyond? Or was this just sort of an on-again, off-again thing depending on the author?

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The name also dates back to the original novelization.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  4. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I think it was the latter.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Same here

Alpha-Red likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yes and no. Technically off during the Bantam years because Zahn was the only one who used them, but theoretically she had them off screen most of that time. Then from NJO to mid-LOTF they were more consistently there, until I think it was Jacen who killed her main guards after which she officially stopped using them.

Iron_lord and Alpha-Red like this.
  7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    There is a vignette in WEG's JAT Trilogy Sourcebook, "Cutting Ties," in which Leia fires her Noghri bodyguards after they cause one too many problems with her diplomatic efforts.

Iron_lord and Alpha-Red like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think there's an allusion to Leia having officially disbanded her bodyguard, but still using them, for emergencies, in secret, in Planet of Twilight.

Leia glanced behind her at the four small, gray, wrinkled humanoids who seemed to have melted from the antechamber's walls. The smallest, who barely topped Leia's elbow, regarded the bronze doors with narrowed yellow eyes.
    Several years had passed since, in the face of mounting pressure from the Council, Leia had eliminated her bodyguard of Noghri hunter-killers.
    Leia understood it; even before the unfortunate incident of the Barabel ambassador, there were those who said it ill behooved her to wield a weapon that had been Palpatine's. Bringing them on this mission had been a terrible risk.
    Do not trust Ashgad, the message had said.
    She had sent for them, secretly, just before departure. There were some risks greater than schism in the Council.

Since they're openly present in Specter of the Past, I would speculate that it was her kidnapping in Planet of Twilight that convinced her that she needed to be allowed to use them openly, and, after Planet of Twilight, she made it clear to the Senate that she was repealing the disbanding.

9. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Nice continuity there - the "unfortunate incident of the Barabel ambassador" is a very direct reference to the story in the JAT Sourcebook.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    She also had them in Crimson Empire III

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Since according to Wookieepedia, that was literally the same year (possibly in the second half of the year, with the Death Seed Crisis in the first half?), the proposed "repealed disbanding" would make sense.

12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Are there any examples of ships having 'keys', like cars would for example? Most times in SW people can steal ships pretty liberally, so I'm wondering if that trend was ever bucked.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Apparently there were "voice-activated starship locking systems" - and devices made to fool them.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/VoiceBox_Speech_Pattern_Duplicator

14. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    WEG also included a shipjacking kit in one of their equipment books, a set of tools designed specifically to circumvent starship security codes and allow them to be stolen. So "starship security codes" are also a thing, but we never really see characters having to enter codes to "unlock" their ships so what form those codes take is uncertain.

darkspine10 and Gamiel like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In Stackpole's entries in the BattleTech series, usually it's a voiceprint with a particular phrase, designated by the user in advance, spoken when activating the 'Mech - if the code phrase matches and the voiceprint matches, the 'Mech starts up.

Maybe he did something like that with Star Wars too, but I don't know for sure. Do we ever see characters in X-Wing do that - have to recite a phrase before the X-Wing can be flown?

16. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    There's a scene in Balance Point where Mara has this combination keypad on the Jade Shadow, but it's actually a fake and the real switch to open the ship is buried underneath and can only be flipped using the Force. Or, I guess if somebody were to cut it open...but they probably wouldn't know about it in the first place. Anyway, probably means that combination keypads are the standard security mechanism for ships.

Daneira likes this.
  17. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Cool! Seems like there's a small risk of not being able to get into your ship if you can't concentrate enough to reach the Force (Nihil gas) or are prevented from using the Force (ysalamiri).

Alpha-Red likes this.
  18. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Now that I think about it, what if it's Han or Lando who are trying to get aboard, and they're being chased by angry Yuuzhan Vong warriors? That would put them in quite the pickle. Well, unless it's possible to use a blaster to shoot off the fake cover or something...

JABoomer likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Those things are not that common, people forget that most people IU don't really expect to face Force users (if you do you are either a big bad boy, or have an overdeveloped sense of selfimportance), and/or don't know about counters too them.

And Mara at that time was very cocky regarding her own ability

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    JABoomer and Alpha-Red like this.
  20. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Are the Legends Junior Jedi Knights, Jedi Quest, Jedi Apprentice, and Last of the Jedi series of a lower reading level then the current Canon junior novels such as Race to Crashpoint Tower, A Test of Courage, Spark of the Resistance, The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear!, Dark Legends, etc. (which are listed with an age range of 8 - 12)?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yes. The canon ones you listed are what's called "middle grade" novels, which is a rung in between junior novels and young adult novels.

That said, the individual reader levels can vary a little from work to work; those legends junior novels and most of the canon junior novels can still be enjoyed by readers of all ages over their intended target audience.

22. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Yes, I've read the Young Jedi Knights series and the Canon junior novels, basically anything over 200 pages. Some of it has been hard to get through to be honest, which is why I'm concerned about the reading/enjoyment level of similar novels that are even shorter (typically 120-160 pages in length).

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Ah then I'm not the person you'd want to ask about that, I don't notice that stuff since I just read everything regardless of level.

That said, Servants of the Empire are junior novels but are some of the most enjoyable books around. Adventures in Wild Space are also enjoyable but more noticeably younger reader level. And then the Choose Your Destiny books are just plain fun.

JABoomer likes this.
  24. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Was Coruscant established as being a ecumenopolis prior to TPM?

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes. In the Thrawn trilogy and in Dark Empire, if not earlier

Barriss_Coffee and Alpha-Red like this.