main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Vaneé's personality and uh... really weird behaviorisms... from Tales of Vader's Castle are matched pretty well in the the recent Lego Halloween special. Even the whole "nobody appreciates me/suspects me of anything, but someday I'll show them..." gig he had going in the comic. I suspect the show was intentionally copying from the comic, since they also used other random comic/book ideas like Ren's appearance and Grievous's name.

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The character Krynodd, originally appearing in SWA #1 and 2, reappeared in one of the Choose Your Destiny audiobooks for Amazon Alexa. (Both stories were written by Cavan Scott so not exactly a shocker, but still.)

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen anything like court mages or royal seers in SW (ignoring the jedi as advisors to the senate)? They don't really need to have real powers

4. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Logray acting as an adviser to Chief Chirpa?

Rael Averross acting as the Lord Regent of Pijal?

Probably neither of these are precisely what you're looking for, but those are what sprung to my mind.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Did “Marked” introduce the idea that the black on Maul’s skin is Sith Tattoos or was that first referenced before “Marked” was published?

6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Rish Loo in Clone Wars?
    [​IMG]

7. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I have two questions.
    I swear reading in a text or graphic novel a scene where Palpatine tells Vader many Jedi escaped with their lives. But then he tells them it doesn't matter much because their order is finished. Source?
    Is Dooku anti-slavery in Legends? He says that the Jedi can't help the slaves of Tatooine, but they can help the slaveowners. In canon, he seems to have no issue with Sidious using slaves in Season 4 of TCW (Sith Empires have been built on slaves).

8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Can't answer the second, but I'm 90% sure the first question is from Dark Lord: the Rise of Darth Vader

Darth Dnej likes this.
  9. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Anyone else feel like the new canon is a lot more willing to kill off characters from the films than the old? I mean, yeah, there was Chewie in Legends, but most of the other cinematic characters that died were either old age or background Jedi from the prequels whose fate was basically a foregone conclusion. The new canon, meanwhile, has axed, among others...

Ackbar, Nunb, Bib Fortuna, Maul (who admittedly only came back in another EU work), Bane, Lott Dod (offscreen), Lama Su and the Kamino cloners, and even the sarlacc!

I find this kind of reminiscent of the ancient epics that Star Wars takes so much from, which in contrast to modern media often retold the lives of the major characters up until their deaths, which were themselves often just from illness, a random accident, or otherwise not what we'd consider a "climactic" end today.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Does the Revan novel talk about Revan’s and Malak’s trips to the planets with the Star Maps or his trip to Lehon mentioned in KOTOR 1?

11. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Don't forget Dodonna, Willard, Bob Hudsol, Panaka, General Tagge, and maybe Crix Madine. It's been six years since Aftermath: Life Debt and we still don't know if he lived or died!

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Huh, really? I remember commenting about this at the time, too, so I'm a little surprised that there was never clarification from anybody. (Mind you, the reason I commented about it was that Madine did in fact die ignominiously in the old EU, so I was hoping they'd give the poor guy a break this time around.)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    Hamburger_Time and JediBatman like this.
  13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Where/when did Lucas say that the EU was prohibited from creating lore for Yoda’s species?

14. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Is there any reason for Padmé being almost completely absent from the Republic comics? I get that it's harder to give her a visually compelling comic story than Anakin and Obi-Wan, but even in issues specifically focused on the senate, or Naboo, there's no sign of her.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm not sure writers knew what to do with her. They knew the senate parts of TPM weren't hotly received, then Lucas went and made things worse for them by making Padmé a senator in AOTC, and they must have been "well **** what do we do now?". 'Course then when he started TCW he answered "just make her do the same actiony semi-ambassadorial things she did in AOTC lol".

16. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Padme-centric episodes were among the worst of TCW.

And honestly, I think the character was only interesting in TPM and in the material that directly surrounded that movie, such as the old Episode I Adventures comics. She went downhill from there, and never recovered.

It didn’t help her character that all of the politics scenes of her in ROTS were deleted from the finished movie. I believe there were no less than three or four such scenes.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  17. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    I found an answer to my own question - the Secrets of the Jedi entry in The Essential Reader's Companion mentions an embargo on using Padmé during the original Clone Wars run, mainly to avoid the issue of her pregnancy, although I guess it didn't apply to the show.

Was there ever any indication as to when Spar and his 212 Mandalorian Protectors entered the Clone Wars?

Nom von Anor and Alpha-Red like this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I read this a few minutes ago and had to sit and think on it a minute. At first I thought it was a lousy excuse, but they did seem to struggle using her in the few stories they did. Then I thought, well how come they didn't use her even in the senate scenes, or some sort of low-key non-action role? She doesn't *need* Anakin around all the time.

Then I realized: it's because they can't logically explain why she didn't know she had twins. Aha! That must be it! :p

(...I don't have an explanation about Spar.)

19. tooonline89

tooonline89 Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2022
    In what collections/omnibuses, if any, can I find the Clones Wars comics from 2002-2005?

20. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    The Clone Wars volumes of Marvel's Legends Epic Collections are their most recent releases, mixed in with a couple of TCW-era Darth Maul series. I think a few of the earlier ones might be a bit harder to find, but the last one is releasing this year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them reprinted in a pair of omnibi, though that might be a long wait.

Dark Horse did trade paperbacks and omnibi too, but I imagine those would be more scarce at this point.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  21. tooonline89

tooonline89 Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2022
    I would LOVE an omnibus of that era. Some of the best Star Wars fiction imo.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In the New Republic, NJO, and Legacy eras, does the average person think Palpatine was a good man when he was a Senator and that the power later went to his head or do they know that he was evil all along?

23. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    I had to wade through quite a few pages of ancient "no true Mandalorian" debates, but I think I've straightened out as much of a timeline for this as we ever got:
    - Circa 32-23.5 BBY: Spar is created "some ten years before the Battle of Geonosis, and escapes to the Outer Rim eight-and-half years later to avoid reconditioning and losing Jango's memories.
    - 22 BBY: "Immediately" after Jango dies at Geonosis and the Clone Wars begin, Spar starts rebuilding the supercommandos on Mandalore, but he also spends "several years" working odd jobs out on the rim. Maybe it took a while for the news of Jango's death to reach Spar, because the Protectors won't come into play for a while.
    - Circa 20.5 BBY: "Midway through the Clone Wars", Spar forms the Mandalorian Protectors. Mandalorians make minor appearances in Republic 65 and 67 around this time, which seem to have been retconned into being the Protectors. These stories would get moved back to 22 BBY to account for TCW, which might actually fit Spar rebuilding the supercommandos "immediately" better than the original timeline.
    - 19.42 BBY: After Durge dies in Obsession (another date that could get moved around by TCW), the Protectors are given Battle Legionnaire droids by the Separatists and attack Null, Kamino and New Bornalex.
    - Circa 19 BBY: "Near the Clone Wars' climax", the Protectors seize MandalMotors' Keldabe facility for the Separatists, and Sidious has the government of Mandalore (so presumably this takes place after Maul is deposed) send the Protectors to Norval II to capture Padmé, where all but three of them are killed by the Ailon Nova Guard (also sent by by Palpatine, for the Republic).
    After the war, Spar is broken and leaves Mandalore, while Fenn Shysa and Tobbi Dala train new police forces, and the Mandalorians are enslaved by the Empire.
    I haven't read Karen Traviss' books, but it seems like they've got a very different sequence of events, where the Protectors don't exist until after the Clone Wars.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  24. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So, we've got Tatooine, Dantooine, Mantooine, Sestooine, Klatooine...are there any others?

Does "-tooine" mean something in some language...maybe Huttese?

25. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Do we know what Buffy the Jedi Slayer - sorry, Seventh Sister - was up to before Rebels? What was she in the Jedi Order?

PCCViking and Alpha-Red like this.