main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Did something being in The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia elevate it to C-Canon if it wasn’t already? (Mount Sorrow and Minch come to mind as examples)

2. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Just finished The Fallen Star, what do I read next in the High Republic timeline?

3. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Was Freedon Nadd a Dark Lord of the Sith? Was Ulic Qel-Droma?

4. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    Yes they were, Freedon was crowned Dark Lord by his master Naga Sadow (the legitimate Dark Lord at that point), he is spoken of as a legitimate Drak Lord of the Sith successor of the originals from the Sith Empire, and Ulic was a Dark Lord, although apprenticed to Exar Kun, he was directly crowned by Marka Ragnos, so in a way Ulic has a greater legitimacy to Nadd even, in spite of being an Apprentice.

So yeah they were fallen Jedi but they were also full-on Sith, much like Dooku and Vader.

As a side note, have a question of my own: What was the origin for the Rebellion's symbol prior to TFU?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  5. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    Was there some source that revised their histories? The Tales of the Jedi comics make it seem like only the master is a Dark Lord of the Sith in these cases, and that there could only be one Dark Lord at a time.
    I think the story was that the starbird was an old Jedi/Republic symbol, which still more or less works with the Marek family version.

6. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    I'll have to correct myself on this: Nadd wasn't crowned by Sadow, he was apprenticed to him, learned everything he could offer, and then killed him and declared himself Dark Lord of the Sith, from my research the source that states that he declared himself Dark Lord after killing Sadow is "The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia" (i assume the article on Nadd), i would also consider that given Marka Ragnos, a legitimate Dark Lord of the original lineage, personally crowned Kun, who was Nadd's apprentice, would indicate that even though he declared himself a Dark Lord, his claim is legitimized because of Ragnos' recognition of his successor, on Ulic's case, yeah i think you're right, he was Kun's direct Sith Apprentice, but wasn't the Dark Lord like Kun was, i'd say he still counts as a "Dark Lord of the Sith" in the more modern sense, if Lords like Nox, Marr, Dooku and Maul count in spite of Sidious and Vitiate being the "reigning" lords.

So basically: Nadd counts as a Dark Lord both in the ancient and the modern sense, Ulic only counts as a Dark Lord in a more modern sense.

7. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    That's interesting, I've seen a few errors from the Complete Encyclopedia, so I wonder if it showed up anywhere else. The comic basically says the opposite, that Freedon Nadd came to Onderon because he couldn't kill his master and become the Dark Lord, but I suppose you could chalk that up to the Jedi of the time being ill-informed on Sith history.
    I think I like the idea of Nadd not being recognised as a Dark Lord in his day, but being considered one retrospectively for the sake of maintaining continuity between Kun's Sith and the original order.

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  8. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    That is also one of the things with TOTJ: the early story arcs contain a lot of content that gets retconned, for example the Naga Sadow backstory that is completely different from what is shown in Golden Age later on.

IIRC The "real" story of Freedon Nadd was first revealed in the Tales of the Jedi Sourcebook, where it is first established that he killed Sadow (hence why he is dead when he finds Kun), so yeah it's in every version of the events aside from the comic not just the encyclopedia, the version exposited on the comic itself has things that aren't canon anymore, and should be chalked up to unreliable narrators or simply "uhhh ignore that bit" lol.

As for what it is official, he did proclaim himself a Sith Lord after killing Sadow.

I think it's clear the TOTJ series is the one that has the most heavy recontextualization and retcons to it's backstory details, the Sourcebook and later prequel arcs change a lot of what is "true" from the originals.

RogueWhistler and darklordoftech like this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Plagueis does kinda a cool thing where they kinda question of whether or not that stories happened. Essentially make those Legends in-universe legends in a sense

Course a lot of this gets recontexulized with the Old Republic MMO and the timeline stuff

10. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Yeah, SWTOR also says something along the lines of certain historical records having disparities, such as Revan being a woman in some for example, making a non-canon playthrough "canon" at least in the sense that it could be the way it is told to a future generation in the SW galaxy itself.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    TOTJ is definitely heavily rewritten and recontextualised. Naga Sadow is pretty clearly not meant to have been Freedon Nadd's master when he's first introduced in Dark Lords of the Sith, for instance. It can be kind of frustrating when you can't trust what you're reading on the page, but the changing plans behind the scenes are interesting to track.

It looks like the TOTJ Companion established that Nadd killed his master rather than fleeing from him, but it still doesn't make the link to Sadow, so I'm not sure where that would have originated. The Companion also uses both Sadow's original history as a Sith magician in rebellion against the Dark Lords and the prequel revision of him being a Dark Lord himself in different sections, so it seems to me that they might have gotten access to the prequel materials partway through the writing process.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Where was it first said that the Empire banned podracing?

13. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Maybe you mean the Republic? It was already banned by it at the time of TPM. The original(1999) The Phantom Menace Incredible Cross-Sections book mentions it. But strangely enough, Malastare seems an exception.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Seems like Golden Age of the Sith retconned a lot or something?

15. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    The character of Naga Sadow, mainly. He went from being a seemingly-human Sith Magician of "pure Sith blood" who was an enemy of the reigning Dark Lord of the Sith, to being a Dark Lord himself and a Sith-human hybrid.

On a somewhat related note, where/when was the Dark Lord who anoints Ulic and Exar established to be Marka Ragnos?

Also, what period of Mandalorian history is this miniature based on? It's from a KotOR-themed set, but it also includes a Death Watch-style Mando, so it could be from a different era.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  16. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    What, if anything, is known about Alex Wheeler, of Rebel Force? Wookieepedia has basically nothing on them other than that they exist and wrote those books. It was initially assumed that Wheeler was another alias of Judy Blundell/Jude Watson, due to writing for the same demographic and using several of the same major characters as herm, and someone on these forums claimed to have proof from Pablo Hidalgo a couple years back. However, shortly after this, Blundell herself was asked and explicitly stated she isn't Wheeler.

So who IS Wheeler, then?

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    Iron_lord and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In notes at the end of the issue of Golden Age of the Sith in which the ghost of Marka Ragnos speaks to Naga Sadow and Ludo Kressh, it says that the Dark Lord who anointed Exar is “now known” to be Marka Ragnos.

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    "Midnight Horizon". If you haven't read "A Mission to Disaster" and "Tempest Runner" they're the last of the books that were printed (events in them came before "Fallen Star" though.) There's part 3 of the Jedi comics that came out this week "Jedi's End" to read also.

19. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    I must have missed that, is it only in certain editions like the DE endnotes?
    It would have made more sense to me for Exar and Ulic's Dark Lord to be Ludo Kressh, but neither works perfectly.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It’s in the single issue. It’s not in any of the TPBs or omnibuses.

Agreed about Ludo Kressh making more sense. I would have loved if it was Ludo Kressh and we saw it from Kressh’s perspective in Fall of the Sith Empire.

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It is clearly someone Among Us.

Nom von Anor and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hey we finally found out who BJ Hughes was after all this time, we'll probably find out who Wheeler was in a few years time.

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Does KOTOR 1 begin immediately after
    Revan’s memories are erased?

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I believe the game implies that Revan has been "missing" for some time, but I can't immediately source that.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    Are Kiltiks supposed to be related to Killiks, or is Kevin J. Anderson just incredibly bad at naming bugs?

Alpha-Red likes this.