main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. XandertheWise

XandertheWise Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 7, 2022
    anyone ever notice that theres been way too many insect alien species in Star Wars books where theyre really smart in building ships or repairing technology?

Alpha-Red likes this.
  2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Do we know how many times Vader fought Luke between ANH and ESB? Splinter of the Mind's Eye definitely comes to mind. Are there any other examples, EU or otherwise?

3. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    If we're talking new canon there was a duel on cymoon and there may have been one in the vader down series, but it's been a while since i've read that. There are probably more, but that's all I have right now.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  4. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Not exactly a fight, but Luke literally throws a grenade at Vader in this old comic:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_Knight's_Devilry?so=search

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Inspired by thinking about it because of Kenobi, was there ever any explanation of the fates of either Soulless One or Padme's Naboo Skiff after the events of ROTS? Did they ever show up again, did they pass to someone else, did Bail Organa mothball them? Was there anything?

6. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    If I'm remembering right, Obi-Wan sold Soulless One on Nar Shaddaa to pay for passage to Tatooine in the short story that came with Skyewalkers.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It’s such a weird name for a ship...

are you telling me all other spaceships have souls [face_hypnotized]

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Where does Abeloth being called “The Beloved Queen of the Stars” come from? The FOTJ books or some other source?

9. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    Wookieepedia says Ascension.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    Have any of the parties involved ever gone into why Dark Empire (the original) was placed after the Thrawn trilogy, rather than before?

11. Huncrweo

Huncrweo Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 3, 2020
    I don't have any sources at hand to back this up, but I thought it was because Zahn refused to incorporate the events of Dark Empire into the backstory of the Thrawn Trilogy (he's notoriously not a fan of the whole Palpatine resurrection thing), so they had to swap them in the timeline to keep things coherent. Even though Dark Empire coming before Heir to the Empire would have made a lot more sense (or at least been less needlessly complicated) than vice versa.

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Because Zahn didn't want to acknowledge its events. It's actually been discussed a fair bit how it really makes more sense coming right after ROTJ then when it actually wound up.

Edit: :kylo:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  13. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    That would make sense, and probably explain why it hasn't really been discussed.

If Dark Empire had been pre-Thrawn, the child Palpatine coveted would have presumably been the twins instead of Anakin. It might be for the best that things went the way they did - I'd probably trade Anakin Solo existing for Coruscant's ownership making more sense, but I don't imagine many others would.

It'd obviously have been disproven since, but was it ever officially suggested that Bane was the first Darth? Or was that only ever fan speculation?

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The first time he was mentioned, in the TPM novelization, it was as the Sith lord that realised that the old Sith ways was to self-destructive and created the rule of two

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Question on the High Republic: Where is the best place to start? Is there a book that everyone agrees is of high quality, like Darth Plagueis? Just looking for an ideal entry point.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Can’t go wrong with Light of the Jedi followed by Into the Dark followed by the first arc of the main Marvel series. Then you can pick and choose among the middle grade and YA books if you wish, and then keep working through the adult novels and the comics.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So I was reading Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor and the book mentioned The Nihil Retreat. Do we know if this place is connected to the Nihil in the High Republic series or is the name just a coincidence? I know the Shadows book came first.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  18. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    I doubt they're any more connected than the Nihil and Darths Nihl or Nihilus, but it could make a nice headcanon link.

19. Kadar Ordo

Kadar Ordo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2021
    On the subject of Shadows of Mindor, when exactly in the New Republic timeline does it take place? I've been trying to put together a reading order for New Republic era stories (specifically in the late 4 ABY to 5 ABY period) and I've been finding conflicting lists; some put it before the Jedi Prince series while others put it after. The X-Wing comics are also all over the place; some lists I've found put the entire series in 4 ABY and before Shadows of Mindor while others break them up and have them intersect with other stories. Has a proper timeline been established for all of these works or is mostly just up to us fans to make up a timeline based on pure guesswork?

20. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    A couple of timelines have been established, the trouble is that they contradict each other. The New Essential Chronology puts it after Jedi Prince and Dark Forces II, while the the Essential Reader's Companion puts it before them. I'd go with the the NEC's placement, since it goes into more detail on the sequence of events, but the ERC is the newer source.

The X-Wing Rogue Squadron comics do extend into 5 ABY, and likeliest way to place it in relation to Shadows of Mindor would be based on the pilot roster of Rogue Squadron. Unfortunately, one of the Rogues mentioned in Mindor is Standro Jcir, who dies in the comic arc that introduces him. Mindor is usually placed after that story (In the Emperor's Service), but it won't fit perfectly either way.

Kadar Ordo and Gamiel like this.
  21. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    The Coruscant Nights series...
    Jedi Twighlight
    Streets of Shadows
    Patterns of the Force... is also a very nice trilogy. But then also flashback to: Medstar 1; Battle Surgeons and Medstar 2; Jedi Healer.
    Jax Pavan's story is pretty good. But goes all the way back to Lorn Pavan(his dad) in Darth Maul : Shadow Hunter. I5YQ is a droid on par with R2D2, BB8, and Vuffi Raa(the real essence of the Falcon). Nice Jax/Anakin run in even

PCCViking likes this.
  22. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    Do we know what the co-writing process for Dark Lords of the Sith looked like? For the most part, the Exar and Ulic/Nomi sections are discrete enough that Anderson could have contributed one and Veitch the other, but I imagine it probably wasn't that cut-and-dried.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  23. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    So, why did the Ewoks have a full, possibly tailored, gown, just sitting around their treehouse?

24. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I believe Ernie's already answered that one for you :p

25. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I guess the official site Databank is dead? Its last update was back in February around the ending of BoBF. An entire live-action series has come and gone since then. It was never that great of a resource, but one could occasionally find an interesting nugget of new lore here and there. Has anyone heard anything on Twitter, etc. about whether they plan to revive the Databank in its current or some other form?