main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Replying to myself here basically to say "never mind" - the Databank finally got an Obi-Wan Kenobi-related update. So it looks like it's not dead... not yet.

Xammer and Sinrebirth like this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    HR has been referencing the TotJ comics and the Solo film referenced the Han and Lando novels sooooooo.

Maybe they’ll connect them.

I assume the Nihil become the Knights of Ren, but if there is a connection between the Nihil Retreat and the Nihil I would squee. Assuming Nihilus isn’t from there when he was alive, and we did know Nihl was a warlord in the Unknown Regions…

Vialco likes this.
  3. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    So I was reading the old Marvel series and came across what I think is the stupidest-dressed Star Wars villain ever. Behold, Prince Ygal Delois!

[​IMG]
    Even Snoke's shiny Hefner getup can't compare to this piece of man!

Senpezeco and Nom von Anor like this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Not sure what the question is here...

But FWIW he looks like a product of the same "Lucas based Star Wars on Flash Gordon, therefore it's okay to totally import Flash Gordon's dress code" thinking that produced the legendary Crimson Jack and his Pantsless Pirates.

5. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Oh, right, forgot the actual question, which is, what do y'all think are the dumbest Star Wars outfits? There's that lady from the opera in ROTS with a trumpet strapped to her face...

6. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Delois' appearances were actually built around repurposed John Carter art, which explains a lot about those issues.

Senpezeco, Darth_Duck and Gamiel like this.
  7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I've always been amused by this poor slob's outfit. I feel bad for the extra who not only had to wear the goofy thing, but probably couldn't sit down in it, either.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...yes, that is certainly the thing that most jumps out at me about what he is wearing.

Senpezeco, Barriss_Coffee and FS26 like this.
  9. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Anyone else want to bet he is friends with the Queen of Hearts?

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    How does Sly Moore move around? She looks like she's encased in some vertical coffin.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    Hamburger_Time likes this.
  11. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Sounds very umbaran to me. :p

Alpha-Red likes this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The action figure was sort of different from the main film shots, because the "robe" was just a cloak and her main dress was the regular blue dress.
    [​IMG]

Otherwise I would have assumed she came from the Wat Tambor School of Segway Riders.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2022
    Nom von Anor and Alpha-Red like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Like this

Alpha-Red likes this.
  14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is Maulkiller canon to the Legends universe?

15. DarthPivot

DarthPivot Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 30, 2016
    I am hoping this is an easy question. I've last read EU stuff 10+ years ago. But I want to know if this is has been settled in the EU or there is a thread out there on this: Does Palpatine believe Darth Vader can reach his unsuited potential if he fully gives into the darkside? Or is he forever capped because of his injuries?

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is Alderaan said to be a democracy and the Organas a figurehead monarchy anywhere other than the ROTJ script and novelization?

17. beskarmando8

beskarmando8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2022
    Were the jeby at the battle of fondor (25 aby)?

18. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    Has any source ever addressed Wookiees having names made up of sounds they can't enunciate?

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    In Solo, it seemed as though Han was translating Chewie's name from something Chewie said that wasn't what we heard. That implies that there is some sort of translation of Wookiee sounds to human-voicebox (and similar) sounds. I'm under the impression from the old EU that most authors assumed non-Wookiees who understood Shyriiwook did not actually understand every nuance, just the general idea of what was being said. That was the reason Dave Filoni didn't think Han really understood Shyriiwook, before the Solo film came out.

But that would make the question of "how do humans know a Wookiee's name?" a bit of a conundruum. The Solo explanation made more sense -- there's actual syllables involved somewhere. Sort of like symbols to sounds for written language, but with growls.

RogueWhistler likes this.
  20. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    That scene in Solo was the first time I ever really thought about it - how does Han get "Chewbacca" from that?

I like the idea of an established translation from Wookiee sounds to more conventional vocalisations. I wonder how that could have begun, I can much more easily imagine a Rakata saying "Chewbacca" than a Wookiee.

21. XandertheWise

XandertheWise Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 7, 2022
    Is the Star Wars New Hope From a Certain Point of View book a good read? I only have the Empire Strikes Back From a Certain Point of View book and i liked that one

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it's very good at getting inside the heads of various characters.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  23. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    The Fantasy Flight Games RPG and miniatures games are dubious as a source of new-canon information, but are any of their older materials reliable Legends-canon sources? I tend not to trust anything cited to FFG material regardless of continuity, but that might be overzealous on my part.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I’ve been re-reading some of the older Legends books and I’ve gotten into the habit of writing reviews for them when I’m done. Is there any place around here where I can post my thoughts? All the old threads for these books are now sadly locked.

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not really, but just lmk and I'll unlock any review threads you want to post in. (I might just unlock them all if I find the time)

Vialco likes this.