main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Thank you very much!

2. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    I have been absolutely captivated by Andor, and now spend most of my week thinking about the latest episode and waiting for the next one. The real, nuanced take on the Galaxy and the Rebellion it provides is quickly becoming one of my favorite interpretations, and I think I need some suggestions to scratch that itch while I wait.

As far as novels I have read, Catalyst and Twilight Company seem to fit pretty well alongside, but I'm sure there's more out there! Canon, Legends, Novel, Comic, Video Game, RPG sourcebook, what comes to mind as a companion piece for the grounded espionage and politics of Star Wars: Andor?

"Rogue One Core" is also an acceptable alternative description.

3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Read the West End Games Sourcebooks and rpg Adventures that inspired the show!

4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Luceno's Tarkin might complement the show's ISB scenes nicely, and there is a bit of politics and gritty Rebel action in there as well. Been a while since I read it but maybe Rebel Rising by Beth Revis? Not a lot of "grounded espionage and politics" in canon at the moment, although that's a niche that Andor is doing a great job at filling.

And I'll second the recommendation to check out the old WEG Imperial and Rebel Sourcebooks. Very good stuff and very foundational for a lot of what we're seeing in the show.

Vialco and Ewoklord like this.
  5. Ewoklord

Feb 15, 2014
    Forgot about Tarkin! Catalyst, Tarkin and Rogue One make a great "Imperial Bureaucracy Trilogy".

I definitely need to hunt down those WEG books. I've read the original rulebook but there's not too much worldbuilding in there, mostly rules.

I recently started playing the original Dark Forces as well, seeing as they're playing into the Cassian/Kyle Katarn parallels by giving him a Bryar Pistol. Pretty dated, but it's been really fun seeing an ex-Imperial mercenary-turned-rebel spy interacting with Mon Mothma. It's like a preview of what's to come.

QuinlanSolo and Vialco like this.
  6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I think fans of Andor would likely enjoy Battlefront: Twilight Company.

It is military action rather than spy thriller, but it has a lot of the same grounded, slightly cynical look at the rebel alliance from a bottom up view, following a rebel alliance infantry regiment fighting one desperate raid or retreat after another.

The main character even has something of a similar backstory to Andor, coming from a near abandoned, relatively isolated colony world and joining the alliance largely due to circumstances before slowly coming more invested in it (though he mostly cares about his friends in the regiment and never really coming around to the political cause).

Heck, in general Twilight Company tends to be full of people who more joined out of desperation or self-destructive levels of revenge seeking than true idealists, though there are a few exceptions.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    Jedi Ben, Alpha-Red and Ewoklord like this.
  7. Ewoklord

Feb 15, 2014
    I loved Twilight Company, it has such an interesting viewpoint for the saga. Not the big players, no big soap operatic ideological battles, just grunts hoofing it for their own personal reasons. Some believe, some don't, some don't know if they believe, but they all fight alongside each other anyway.

I've started reading Rebel Rising and it's got me excited for Saw's appearance in Andor. One of the most fascinating characters in canon, and I have a feeling they won't hold back in his portrayal. Things might get dark.

Alpha-Red, Jedi Ben and MercenaryAce like this.
  8. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    Haven't watched it yet! Excited there's a SW show with a serious standpoint. I like fun and silly SW, but I want to BELIEVE in the GFFA.

Jedi Ben and Ewoklord like this.
  9. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Would also recommend the first canon Thrawn novel, because of it's focus on the Empire and the political side of Star Wars.

By the way, i wonder if Nightswan is somehow connected to Luthen...

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Has Luke ever flown the Millennium Falcon?

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yes, in Courtship of Princess Leia, @Alpha-Red

Iron_lord and Alpha-Red like this.
  12. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    There were also several instances in the old Marvel comics where Luke flew the Falcon. Issues #17, #63, and #77 come to mind, but there could have been others.

In the new canon, issue #18 of Star Wars (2015). And possibly in the Choose Your Destiny book A Luke and Leia Adventure; it's been a while so not sure about that one.

EDIT: YMMV as to the degree to which Luke is actually "flying the ship," but it's worth noting that he is in the pilot's seat during his "Do you think a princess and a guy like me--" conversation with Han in ANH.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
    Senpezeco, Alpha-Red and Iron_lord like this.
  13. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Is there an archive of the circa-2011 temp boards available to read anywhere?

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Pretty sure that is long gone. I know it was around for awhile after we converted the main boards though.

15. Galactic Bibliophile

Galactic Bibliophile Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2021
    What was the name of the maneuver that a ship does to break a tractor beam by shooting proton torpedos at the tractor beam generator?

16. Garlician

Garlician Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2022
    Literature and comics is my interest and I like your suggestions, but have to ask, if it is possible to search the forums by keywords?
    Pardon me for asking "off topic", but this thread seems halfway active.
    Thx for having me

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    There's a search bar on the upper right side of the page. You might have to check or uncheck a few boxes to get it to search specific threads, subforums or the entire forum. Also, you can narrow it down to posts by user.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You can also use Google to search here by doing a site-specific search.
    For example - to search on Jedi enter this (as is - no quotes and no space after 'site:'.):
    jedi site:boards.theforce.net

19. TJE

TJE Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2022
    Does anyone know serious Star Wars book collectors who I can contact?

20. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    So, you know that little disc on the Imperial Officers' hats? Does it do anything? Just symbolic?

21. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    Apparently they're ID, like the "code cylinder" pens.

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  22. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    So a while back, Leland confirmed that the Son of Dathomir comic is both New Canon and Legends, because it was adapted from a never-made arc of TCW which is also both along with the films. Does anyone know if the same is true for the revival season and Dark Disciple? I would logically assume so, but logic and Star Wars continuity sometimes don't exactly mix. [face_laugh]

23. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Outside TOR, I don't think anyone in an "official" capacity is commenting on or making decisions anymore about what is "canon to Legends." I personally see no reason why Leland's logic wouldn't apply to releases of other "unmade" TCW arcs, but I'm hardly an expert on Legends canonicity and others may feel differently.

24. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I do wish Leland would still take Legends canon questions tbh. Or... does he? Maybe he just doesn't get asked them anymore.

25. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    Unless it's specifically stated to be, like Son of Dathomir was, I wouldn't assume Dark Disciple, the story reels, or especially Season 7 (since we know it's different from what it would have been) to be a part of the old continuity.