main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

George Lucas addresses Han/Greedo in EW

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by cal_silverstar, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Failing to prevent someone else from committing a crime is not wrong on either the legal or the moral side of things.

Actually, and I know this really isn't the point of this thread, but I think everyone has chewed up and spit out that quote, in the US legal system if you know a crime is going to take place, you are duty-bound to report it or you can be held as an accomplice to the crime. I believe in the UK you can actually be held as a party to the crime.

Back to the topic at hand, I think it's funny that this actually surprises anyone. Lucas has been altering his memory of these movies as much as he's altered the movies themselves. I mean, who honestly could have said that these movies were about Darth Vader's fall and redemption before the prequels? No one, but Lucas insists that was his plan all along. Oh really? But Vader wasn't even Luke's father until a writing team concocted the idea during pre-production for Empire Strikes Back!

So Lucas is full of crap, and has been for a long time. What he's doing is trying to leave the impression that this is his saga alone, when the truth is that many other people, many other talented writers, directors, and producers, had big parts to play in sculpting the original trilogy.

2. DavidBowman

DavidBowman Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2004
    I never really viewed the Greedo shooting first change one of the primary changes.

I'm more concerned about whole sequences changed, stuff like Shaw being cut out of the ghost scene for Hayden.

If he wants to justify his changes, forget Greedo.

3. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Doesn't it seem interesting that most of these changes (except ANH, since it was pressed for time so much) could easily have been done when they were released?

The SEs were just a reason to release the movies into theater again to promote the new PT and make money.

4. hunter_ofthe_myst_ra

hunter_ofthe_myst_ra Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 23, 2003
    Well, that may be but:
    1.) I saw the original first
    2.) I am a very stubborn person and it's very hard to change my mind :p
    and finally 3.) It looked really bad. :/
    The first time I saw it I didn't even know what was happening. I thought the blast ricocheted off something, until someone explained it to me.

5. durga2112

durga2112 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    Death Stars don't destroy planets - people destroy planets!

6. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    ^^^ True ;)

But to paraphrase Eddie Izzard, "I think the Death Star helps though, don't you? Just orbiting Alderaan and shouting BANG! really loud isn't quite enough somehow..."

:D [hl=black]{[/hl][hl=darkgoldenrod]||||| ?||[/hl][hl=black]}[/hl][hl=blueviolet] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/hl]

7. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    No one, and I mean NO ONE, could ever have missed their target at the range that Greedo was holding his blaster (point blank range). And yes, if Lucas had intended for Greedo to shoot first from the beginning, then he could have easily and cheaply done it back in the 1970's.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Surely it was the guys flipping the switches who destroyed it then? wink Tarkin only gave the order, they were the mindless saps who obeyed<<

Hey, for all the knew, those switches were activating their satilite TV feed- no wonder they were so surprised when the tunnel lit up with green energy ;)

9. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Especially those poor chumps stuck inside of it :p

Hope they had their kids already

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    it's never wrong to shoot someone who's pointing a gun at you

Interesting. I wouldn't shoot someone just because he pointed a gun at me. If I thought he was gonna shoot, though, I would. Which, of course, must've been the case with Han. Since he didn't have the money with him, Greedo was sure to take a shot at him, so he fried him.
    If Lucas wants to correct/change the shot though, I won't complain. It's still a good scene.

Star Wars is one
    /LM

11. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Lucas is Wrong!

:eek: Isn't that against the rules away from the EU boards? ;)

I agree however. Having Greedo shoot first did 3 things.

A. It made Greedo look like a complete idiot.

B. Which made Jabba a complete idiot for hiring the guy.

and C. It ruined Han's image.

12. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    A. Greedo is a complete idiot.
    B. Greedo would hardly be the only one Jabba has hired to get Han. He hires many morons, because they're cheap and occasionally, they succeed. He has good bounty hunters in store just in case, though.
    C. Han still looks pretty darn tough to me.

OR: it might as well strengthen Han's image as an awesome gunslinger. Even a decent bounty hunter like Greedo couldn't hit him when he had the chance.

Star Wars is one
    /LM

13. Darth_Mimic

Darth_Mimic Jedi Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Plus, shooting Han would not help Greedo or Jabba get money from him. Unless there's a market for smuggler corpse. I thought of the Greedo shot as an intimidation shot (intentional miss), and Han doesn't like it much. Hence, he shoots Greedo.

14. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Good point.

Star Wars is one
    /LM

15. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    I thought of the Greedo shot as an intimidation shot (intentional miss), and Han doesn't like it much. Hence, he shoots Greedo.

In which case, Han really is A MURDERER! :eek:

Unless...

...Han's shots were ALSO intended as warning shots!

[face_thinking]

16. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Everytime George opens his mouth it angers me more. Han a murdererr??? Wow he really has gone off the DEEP end. one of the worst changes made in the SE filth.

17. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    A. Greedo is a complete idiot.

He had the brains to wait until Chewie left to face Han.

B. Greedo would hardly be the only one Jabba has hired to get Han. He hires many morons, because they're cheap and occasionally, they succeed. He has good bounty hunters in store just in case, though.

In the EU it is an exclusive contract. But considering he had Boba Fett on hand...

C. Han still looks pretty darn tough to me.

Yeah. But he isn't nearly as cool. He went from cool bad*** cowboy to normal pilot.

OR: it might as well strengthen Han's image as an awesome gunslinger. Even a decent bounty hunter like Greedo couldn't hit him when he had the chance.

My sister couldn't miss at that range. And she sucks with guns.

BTW is everyone forgetting the lines about Greedo killing Han and giving Jabba the Falcon?

"Over my dead body."

"That's the idea." *shoot*

Really a warning. If someone threatened me in the same situation he would be dead after threatening me like that.

Face it. Greedo was going to kill him. Han had no intention of sparing Greedo.

18. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Yes, he was going to kill him. Still, I don't mind the change.

Star Wars is one
    /LM

19. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000

Good call :) Perhaps Han was so (over?)confident, he's even prepared to let Greedo get a first shot in, knowing he'll miss. But when Greedo finally does summon the guts to shoot... "Greedo, you crossed the line. DON'T CROSS THE LINE!" - Bang. Game Over.

:D [hl=black]{[/hl][hl=darkgoldenrod]||||| ?||[/hl][hl=black]}[/hl][hl=blueviolet] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/hl]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.