main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas ended my childhood at Leicester Square

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by NoLongerAFan, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aisha1

aisha1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    Maybe look on the Foxfilms or lucasfilms websites , they should have something where you can contact them or something.

2. big-darth-vader

big-darth-vader Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    trust me he did not sign it because of it being sold for money because i know.
    I meet lucas around 4 years ago i bumped into him with his wife over near soho in london i asked for his autograph and he did not sign it unless his could put my name on it first because if he just signed his name i could have sold it for lots of money.
    Ive got my dvd box set singned by nearly everybody other than lucas lol.

3. TheDarthVader

TheDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    send it to all the Lucas email associated
    addresses ASAP. Trust me, the longer you wait the worse. Also post your e-mail here before you send it so we can all proof read it for you. The more help the better :).

4. choccy31

choccy31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2005
    Personally (dont shoot me) Im on George's side. Not being funny but so what if he said no to you. There were Six yes 6 thousand people there who probably were screaming for him to give him his autograph. I dont see them complaining about it.

Also, if your suddenly disowning Star Wars over it, your pretty shallow and you like only joined on here MAY 2005.

Previously you refused him sigining something because you wouldnt let him put your name on it!

Only reason is because the value will be much less then if it simply said George Lucas.

Hell If he wrote my name and then signed it George Id be bloody over the moon and Im sure everyone else here would too.

Unless of course you wanted to sell it right away.

Good for George, Ewan and anyone else who takes this stand.

If your a true fan you wouldnt be coming on here and doing a post to discredit him.

At the end of the day you have two options:

1) Get over it

2) Go back to ripping people of on ebay.

Choccy!

5. TheDarthVader

TheDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    where does "no longer a fan" state this:

"Previously you refused him sigining something because you wouldnt let him put your name on it!" ?

6. Jazzatola

Jazzatola Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 16, 2001
    I think choccy31 was referring to big-darth-vader's post by mistake.

7. hokers

hokers Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    I feel for you man, that's a horrible thing to happen. 3 possibilities:
    1) I guess he thought you were just going to ebay it, I think thats the most likely.
    2)Otherwise maybe it's his all time favourite collectable and he didnt want to write all over it?
    3)Don't take this wrong, (remember we weren't there) but maybe he thought you pushed ahead of someone to get it?
    I think the first is most likely, but he should have handled it better, said he would sign something else instead for you. The problem is that it feels very personal to you, after you spent so much time waiting, but in fact it's probably not, he was just taking a bit of a stand against ebay autograph sellers? We were all saying in the marathon that the real die-hard fans were the ones outside waiting 12 hours in the rain for the celebrity premiere.

edit: if you do turn out to be irreconcilable, don't take all your SW stuff to the tip, I'm sure a few of us on here will be happy to take it off your hands... ;)

8. electroretro

electroretro Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2003
    This reads like the star wars equivelant of eminem's stan!

I think you really need to rethink the situation you was in. I mean for a start he is not a mind reader and so will not know the lengths you went to meet him!

The guy is hardly the most charismatic of people. He is not going to do the whole "Tom Cruise, 2 hour meet and greet and speak to your mate on your mobile thing" I get the impression he is quite uncomfortable with large crowds and probably hates that whole side of it.

I was watching the cctv footage in the Empire cinema and while George was being interviewed some nutbar in the crowd was trying to force an object and a pen into his hands while he was in mid sentence and I just shook my head as it seemed so wrong. this may seem unsympathetic but I just cant get my head round the whole adulation thing. Can you imagine how often he gets people in your situation coming up to him and ask to sign things?

I cheered him on with the rest of the crowd and thats enough for me. He really does not owe you anything, it was your choice to go down there but in my opinion it was far too presumptious too expect anything but a smile.

Sorry.

9. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    GL is pretty awkward around fans. He strikes me as a quiet, oddball kinda guy with a massive talent as a visual director... who is freaked out by the fanatical dedication of people like us, and at the same time stung by profiteering ******** like the chav scum who were selling marathon tickets on e-bay at 700-800% profit.

He must have misread something. I feel for you, man - I really do... but the guy's human and can make mistakes. I really don't know what happened there, but the way he came back into the cinema at the end of the film (and had to push his way past people like me who were on the way out!) - that can't have been easy for a guy as uncomfortable with crowds as GL. He must have misread something... please don't throw all your memorabilia away, there must have been a mistake of some sort.

10. XidZenTurres

XidZenTurres Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2003
    I am a hardcore fan but I don't need his autograph. Yesterday was so amazing now Im more hardcore fan than before.

MTFBWY!!
    Xid

11. NoLongerAFan

NoLongerAFan Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    I have never had the opertunity to get anything signed before. I would have been happy if he had drawn a smily face on it instead of signing, because it is for me and all I wanted was to go home with a little bit of personal memorobelia. He signed other toys, a light sabre right next to me. He could see I hadn't pushed in as I was squarely on the gate.
    I am a new user on here because this site was suggested to me from an old freind on the starwars.com board. I came here to see if anyone could explain why he didn't sign for me.
    I don't think George owes me anything, but to have my ST in his hand, actually holding it with pen poised, and then to look up at me and say "No"? Really? Choccy31, you wouldn't take that personally?

12. electroretro

Jul 8, 2003
    How can you take it personally?
    He doesnt know you!

Did you come across as desperate? He could of read it as such. You say he signed a load of other stuff, is it quite possible he had a cut off point and could visualise signing stuff all night and the possibility of it all going on ebay? it may have been easier to shove the box in his face as it would have been a lot easier to sign.

He really doesnt owe you anything, you have to respect that. You could have the other ten people who got stuff signed on the boards saying he is the greatest man ever so its swings and roundabouts really.

Sorry to say this but you do sound pretty petty and the fact you are going to get rid of everything you own because of this incident makes you sound quite bitter and unstable.

13. NoLongerAFan

May 18, 2005
    picture
    see the darth vader helmet right next to the girl wit hthe red cap on? That's me. windymiller took the pic I found on the "Topic: Star Wars Day 16th May > Feedback + Pics!! " post.

14. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    I was a couple along to you on your right, I had no idea he did that but I can understand how you feel my friends and I were angry as well. Didn't help I ended up in pain from the day, still am. I was lucky I got something signed but I don't feel it was worth the wait.

As for paper autographs and dealers. Most dealers that turn up for these things only get pictures signed and not objects well that is from previous experience anyway.

15. NoLongerAFan

May 18, 2005
    I was right near where he started signing, and he carried on past me all the way down. As for being petty? I grew up loving everything this man did. He was shown to me by my father as an example of how great people and the world could really be, that you could struggle wit ha purpose, that you could do the extraordinary, that you could follow a dream AND make people happy as a result. What would any of your lives be like if a man as I have just described hadn't existed, hadn't created star wars, hadn't shown you the possibilities in life? Granted you would still be as you are now, but a lot less excited about things, a lot less interesting and a whole lot less happy. And then to have this same man turn around and show you that in his eyes you are nothing, not even worth the time it takes to make a scrible with a pen? I never expected him to regard me in any light, but I don't deserve that. I'm sorry if I sound petty and unstable, but 27 years of adoration got stomped on on Monday night. My biggest hero did the equivolent of spit in my face. I will survive, it won't kill me, but I sure as hell would like an answer as to why this was. Wouldn't you? Well?

16. electroretro

Jul 8, 2003
    Not really no.

I really dont mean to sound harsh but you need to move on, you are not going to get any closure from this.

It does concern me how such things could bother someone and it does worry me how you cope in everyday situations.

seriously, for your own sake read back your comments and put them into perspective.

"George Lucas ended my childhood"

that scares the life out of me.

17. MattZitron

MattZitron Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2005
    This is a sad story, and I do feel for you.

I'd be pissed off if that happened to me.

But did you 100% know he'd sign anything?

It was chance.

And there has to be a good reason he did it.

He seemed really nice, at the Marathon he walked past me without shaking my hand and I said please and he came back.

He didn't come across as a nasty guy. Email Sandsweet and see what he says.

Matt

P.S: If you're taking you Memorbilia down the tip, can you tell me what tip?

18. windymiller

windymiller Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    Well I was just glad I had ther opportunity to have seen him in the flesh, up close, when he came past us, and to say 'thank-you'.

That was my Star Wars moment.

19. Number11MosEisley

Number11MosEisley Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    I had almost the same situation. I was row c in the empire and when GL came back after sith was one of the first to get to him with a pen and my passport (both in my left hand)> He reached out and shook my right hand instead of taking the pen; thing is, that meant more to me than an autograph. I could lose an autograph, be burgled or fall upon hard times and want to sell it, but no one can ever take my memory away from me (and rick mccallum signed it anyway!!!).
    Lucas still rules.

20. electroretro

Jul 8, 2003
    That says it all Number11

"He reached out and shook my right hand instead of taking the pen; thing is, that meant more to me than an autograph"

in my eyes that sums up George Lucas perfectly.

I suggest nolongerafan takes this in as it will answer your question.

Think about what you are suggesting.

you are attempting to send an email to a person you dont know (steve sansweet) to ask why a person you dont know and doesnt know you (george lucas) didnt sign your toy and for this your childhood is ruined?

good grief.

21. NoLongerAFan

May 18, 2005
    No electroretro, it does not answer my question, if anything your answers show that you have missed the point altogether.
    You said YOU wouldn't want to know why you were REFUSED if what happened to me had happened to you? Then my friend, it is you who is troubled. I see you getting walked over in life (not a dig, just an observation).
    You equate Number11MosEisley getting a handshake instead of an autograph with me getting my ST shoved back in my hands and told "No"?
    He got a handshake, see, that's a POSITIVE interaction, something Number11MosEisley can take away with him and remember in a POSITIVE light.
    I got told that I was not worthy of an autograph, what POSITIVE thing am I meant to take away with me from that?
    "you are attempting to send an email to a person you dont know (steve sansweet) to ask why a person you dont know and doesnt know you (george lucas) didnt sign your toy"
    Sorry, but I was brought up to ask. If I purchase an item and there is a problem with it, I think I am in my right to ask the manufacturer for an explanation. Same thing here. I was a fan. The films exist in their present state purely because of the fans. Ergo, I am entitled to know the reason why.
    "your childhood is ruined" , well, and I'll try to type slowly here so you can keep up, something I truely believed in, a hero I looked up to (yes even at 33) was shown to me to be a crock of ****te. I'll repeat my earlier statement "an example of how great people and the world could really be, that you could struggle with a purpose, that you could do the extraordinary, that you could follow a dream AND make people happy as a result" and all this without stepping on people or hurting anyone, this is how I saw George Lucas, this is how I lived my life, beleiving that here was someone doing just that and look where he is now. Well, now I know that that was all a lie. What I saw in that one split-second was the real Lucas, someone with the ability to give joy taking it back just for the hell of it. Someone worried that a buck would be made by someone other than himself. Someone who created the fans that adore him and yet doesn't believe in the truth behind them. To him we/you are not adoring fans, just money grabbing annoyances.
    But thats just my jaded opinion. You are entitled to your own. More power to you.

22. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    NLAF

The fact that there was a SW marathon, the fact that tickets were only £50, the fact that GL mingled with the crowds when he's pretty awkward around people (let alone obsessive nutters like us), the fact that he stuck around to hear our reaction to the film instead of going over to the plush premiere, the fact that the film was chock-full of stuff that was very carefully thought out to appeal to fanboys like us, the fact that he had at least as long and gruelling a day as we did (but he did it for our benefit, while we were having nerdgasms)...

...I just can't believe there could have been any malice. He can't have got any more sleep than I did - and I know damn well that, although fanatacism kept me focused for the films, I could not be bothered with people in the breaks because I was tired as hell and running on adrenaline. Must've been the same for GL, but he made the effort to spend a lot of time interacting with us crazy fanboys in pretty stressful circumstances. There were a thousand of us at the marathon, a few thousand more milling around Leicester Square, watching the OT and going to the premiere. Given the length of the day, the outrageously early start (he was there before 6am, right? Almost certainly busy as hell until 2am the night before) also given the strength of feeling fanboys have about SW - it would have been impossible for anyone to get through that day without somehow offending someone.

You have no idea what was going through his mind. Unless he knows you personally, it can't have been personal. You have my sympathy, but seriously... get over it.

23. Number11MosEisley

Number11MosEisley Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    You draw parallels between getting an autograph and making a purchase? This was not a transaction! George Lucas owes you, I and every other tom dick and harry in the world absolutely nothing.

24. NoLongerAFan

May 18, 2005
    Nope, you missed it. 2 totally seperate points.

25. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    this is how I saw George Lucas, this is how I lived my life, beleiving that here was someone doing just that and look where he is now. Well, now I know that that was all a lie.

No one else is responsible for how you see them. The fact that you built up this image is entirely of your own making. At no point did George say to you that he was this kind of person, it was simply your interpretation of his life and world.

With regards to him saying "no" it could just simply be he didn't want to sign that particular item. He could have any reason he wants for no doing that, and it has absolutely nothing to do with you. It's not personal, just he decided "no" to that particular item. The fact that he didn't ask if there was anything else he could sign is probably due to the fact that he was pretty busy with everyone clamouring for a piece of him at the premiere. He is an extremely shy person in real life, so even walking along the line is a major thing for him.

With regards to you thinking he was looking at you at the end and shaking his head... I wouldn't count on it. Having been lined up in queues like this a few times, I've assumed someone was looking at me, and it turned out they weren't. It was someone next to me, or behind me, but because of the angle, I could have sworn it was me.

The fact that you've taken this so personally is a surprise, and is more indicative of the level of prestige YOU created around Lucas and not so much what he did or didn't do.

Get over it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.