main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas ended my childhood at Leicester Square

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by NoLongerAFan, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thraxwhirl

Thraxwhirl Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    If I may, and it's rare that I post, but my thoughts on this are as follows:

"I think it's stupid to stop being a fan because Lucas didn't give you an autograph. does that suddenly make the films bad?"

Stuey, I don't think NoLongerAFan is suggesting that the films are suddenly bad, nor of any lower quality than they ever were, rather that his/her emotional connection to them is altered by this experience, and thus he/she no longer derives the same enjoyment from watching them because he/she has lost all faith in the creator.

To give a parallel. Many people make videos of their weddings so that they can watch them again at a later date and try to re-live the joy of that day, but if the marriage ends in a divorce, I very much suspect that precious few of those people, in their new single life wish to watch those once-golden moments again, because the subsequent experiences preclude that joy. Now the actual footage of the home movie on the VHS cassette hasn't changed one jot, but the viewer's personal relationship with it has.

And that question of one's emotional attachment to media relates not only to recorded chapters of our only lives, but also that, produced by others, which we consume because we love it. Star Wars being a classic example of this.

I myself hated The Phantom Menace - and I wasn't alone in that - and furthermore I have scant good to say about Attack of the Clones, which I found only marginally less unappealing. I daresay that to most of you here, these words while strike you as sacrilege... but I didn't like them. Deal with it. ;)

Anyway, point is that for me and my close friends - all of whom adored the OT's we grew up with - we now no longer feel the same rush of excitement to watch Luke race against time and all odds to pull off the impossible and destroy the Death Star before it annihilates Yavin IV...

because...

...we have all seen The Phantom Menace, and it completely made a mockery of space battles in the Star Wars mythology. If an eight year old boy can achieve a similar result, pulling off an almost impossible shot, amid scores more adversaries, without any prior training in that class of vessel, and not even break into a sweat or grow at all concerned, but actually rather enjoy it as the Disney Ride of his life...

...then one's entire belief of what Star Wars is and ever was all about is immediately called into question. The OTs thus seem less a depiction of what it's all about - the struggle, the dedication, the conviction and inner strength in the face of desperation and adversity - rather they seem more an illusion of what we wished Lucas was trying to tell us. And for a long time we believed it was about THAT and not simply the self-indulgent use of special effects and the wowing of the audience with pretty lights, "cool"-looking ships and really terrible gags(to be fair, even in the OTs, the gags were terrible, BUT that was part of the undeniable charm).

The Battle for Hoth, with its sombre depiction of courage and willing self-sacrifice, is similar ruined for me by the light-hearted Keystone Cops routine of Jar Jar Binks and the battle droids.

In other words, the OTs are still the same films they ever were(if, like me you are fortunate enough to own pre-1997 copies), but watching them no longer has the same captivating effect, because the faith is no longer unshakeable... and I think that NoLongerAFan is experiencing this also, though for different reasons to mine. Rather, because He/She has met the creator, and now feels him to be not the man he/she once believed, and - by a subjective assessment admittedly, undeserving of that adoration.

Once the creator is no longer idolised, so too the work he/she(in this case Lucas) produced, since it is seen to be very much an integral part of that creator's persona and place in the world, and in our lives, and our connection to it and therefore to the creator in question.

Now

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I agree, though bear in mind I didn't actually read the entire post :p

3. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    then how could you agree ?

Thrax could have invited you to another game of find the Orshich egg.

Will you play ?

4. Thraxwhirl

Thraxwhirl Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Oh, DA6, I can usually rely upon Richie to be agreeable regardless. He's an agreeable fello you know.

Isn't that so, Richie? :D

Here's my summary, Richie, just for you:

NLAF has had a bad experience which relates to his/her perception of SW, and thus IS NOT disputing whether or not the films are good, but his/her ability to enjoy them has understandably been affected by it, and thus he/she no longer wishes to watch 'em.

The parallel I gave was that of wedding videos. If the couple divorce, neither would wish to view the vid again, even though the content is still just as always was.

And on the subject of Lucas' REASON for not signing. Well, we don't KNOW of course... BUT, some suggested it MAY have been because he suspected NLAF was a trader looking to sell it on eBAY.

Now, a LOT of stars very publicly state that they refuse to sign for traders or people who may just be traders, and will only sign for someone who wants to KEEP it. And my argument is that I think that's bad, because for some people in this world, who cannot attend conventions, online traders are the only means of aquiring sigs of the stars they love, from conventions they couldn't attend.

So, while we don't know his reasons for refusing, I would hope it wasn't that one, because I think that's a bad reason, since it deprives people who can't go to conventions.

And I also ackowledged that whatever his reasons for refusing, it IS Lucas' choice, but I sympathise with NLAF.

There. Quick summary for you, Richie. :)

I'm too good to you, I really am. ;)

As for finding my Ostrich, DA6.... well, he's gotta be around somewhere. lol.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Thank you Thrax, that works nicely :p

6. NoLongerAFan

NoLongerAFan Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    Oh My G-D, finally, and to think I was about to give up hope of anyone even coming close to actually getting what I was trying to say.

7. Nomad-2

Nomad-2 Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2004
    I have to agree with Thrax on this one.....

A quick BOOM!!! to cheer you up!

8. jarjarandtheewoks_hi

jarjarandtheewoks_hi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2004

i don't get it, you're mad 'cos he only touched your trooper and didn't sign it ??

Even the Arvizo family couldn't pull that one off!

(so, so sorry)

9. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    jarjarandtheewoks_hi posted on 5/20/05 3:07pm

i don't get it, you're mad 'cos he only touched your trooper and didn't sign it ??

Even the Arvizo family couldn't pull that one off!
    [hr][/blockquote]

That truly belongs in a Carry-On film - hat's off to you!

10. aisha1

aisha1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
  11. Dead-Cat

Dead-Cat Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2004
    Quote "George Lucas ended my childhood"

Well its about time you grew up!!

ps the Leia bikini Friends ep is on now!!

12. Dead-Cat

Dead-Cat Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2004
    Red Bull racing are sporting a nice Star Wars painted car, powered by the dark side.

Red Bull, Star wars the memories!!

ps darth vader and a stormtrooper were walking about the grid!!

13. jarjarandtheewoks_hi

jarjarandtheewoks_hi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2004
    So, you were standing in line when he came up to you, looked you in the eyes, made an 'o' shape with his mouth, whilst at the same time holding your pen??

(can someone please explain this?!)

14. JunoirVader

JunoirVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2004
    So much so that I will not be seeing the new movie and will be dropping my 400 odd strong Star Wars memorabelia collection off at the local tip.

Please tell me the address!

Anyway, I don't really believe this story. I believe he didn't sign your autograph, but I do not believe he literally mouthed 'No' to you personally, and shook his head at you. He may have been holding his pen looking like he was going to sign yours, but maybe he was about to sign someone elses near yours. Instead of mouthing 'No', maybe he was saying 'Oh' because of the turnout of how many people had come, or he saw someone he knew/hated.

I don't think you should stop liking the film just because of a person who made it or was them eg. I asked Peter Mayhews for a picture and he refused, but Chewbacca is still cool. I know it makes you less keen on the character, but I still think you should stay liking Star Wars.

Also, instead of throwing the things away, I live at...

;)

15. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    lol - JuniorVader - you've given away enough to negate the need for your postcode.......

.....hope you like pizza :D :D

16. JunoirVader

JunoirVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2004
    Oh dear....edited.

I do like Pizza actually, as long as we're using your credit card ;)

Stop complaining, I was further back. By the other railings where the press were. I didn't even get to see him close up. I only sww him on the screen, and because I'm so short, I could only see some of the screen and some of the balcony. Compared to me, you're very lucky.

17. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    To NoLongeraFan

Lucas only exists and is able to continue his dream because of your actions and your contribution over the years - as little or as much as you have given...

You cannot put a value on your passion, nor a price...but that passion perpetuates the values that his ideas inspired in you...

Don't ever stop, whatever you do well, whatever you have a passion for, whatever you enjoy, whatever gives you the pleasure, purpose and means to go through this journey we call life. If you do, it's the end.

In the face of adversity, people wiser and less wise than you and I have shaped this very Earth and we continue to do so. War, poverty, famine and all the hatred that exists can only continue if mankind wants and allows it to. They are all manmade, after all.

They say that the pen is mightier than the sword - if so, do not settle for his ink on your inspiration (stormtrooper figure or whatever)as a value, commodity or inspiration. Use your own. I hope that you get a connection email address for him to explain your feelings and that he may have the opportunity to respond. It was a very chaotic and emotional day for everyone, after all.

Yes - I was pleased to see Lucas too and it was something that I will likely never do again in my life. But the message means more to me than the person - whatever you call Star Wars - fairytale, collation of myths, sci-fi, etc.

May the Force Be With You...Always. You would not be posting here if you had given up all hope...

18. Si_Snootles

Si_Snootles Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    No Longer a fan. Dude, you do have issues.

If your childhood just ended at 33, I'd worry.

Sure I feel for you if George snubbed you for whatever reason, but it only a film and he's only a man.

I'm the same age as you, and Star Wars has been a big part of my life, but if you don't keep it in perspective, you are in trouble.

If you have had it with Star Wars, why sign up on here to rant about it? You seem to be an attention seeker.

You've had it with Star Wars, but you keep coming back here to respond?

And let me know what tip you are dumping your stuff at......

19. NoLongerAFan

NoLongerAFan Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    The reason I signed up here was not to rant, but to see if anyone here had ANY explanation for what happened, and to see if any worthwhile suggestions could be offered as to where to send a letter requesting an answer. Nothing more.

20. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    ....so you are obviously still interested or else you would not have bothered to want to gain a response from Lucas?

There is no point in chasing something which holds no value - give it up and move on - unless you sincerely want an answer in which case - you are still 'a fan'.

I am not looking for debate or for an answer, but merely stating that from what you have said, there must be something in your heart having given so much so far through your life.

If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate you destiny, consume you it will...control, control, you must learn control.

21. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    It sounds like your talking out of your ass. I have friends who have met George and I doubt that he would do this.

22. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    NLAF, I think that Thrax made some very pertinent points, and I think I can understand now, with his post, a little more of where you are coming from.

However, it does come down to really being a case of no-one knowing why he did it. I would still recommend that you send an e-mail to Mary Franklin or Steve Sansweet to let them know that you felt it was a bit wrong, but remember that they aren't likely to have an answer, and George probably won't even remember it even if they asked.

I do think it's a shame that George snubbing you has ripped away your passion for the flms, and I hope that you can re-discover that joy in the films again.

23. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    got an issue?....

[image=http://home.earthlink.net/~napkinair/napkin-world.JPG]

Here's a tissue

24. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    [face_laugh]

I met Sven the other year and he blanked me when I asked him why Southgate wasn't getting picked for England anymore. :_|

Therefore do you think I should boycott England ? [face_not_talking]

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Yup

Its not like they'll win anything :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.