main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas "Not really" interested in Ep VII

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Santar, Dec 9, 2014.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    One thing's for sure - Lucas is definitely not as interested in TFA as the fans are in his interest in TFA.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't see why the web has been making such a big deal out of this-all making it out to be as if he doesn't "care about Star Wars anymore" or whatever. [face_eyes_rolling]

I would imagine there are many moviemakers out there, who prefer to see the final film in all it's glory – rather than the first random snippets of images and clips, which are meant solely to feed rabid fans as much as a year before the movie is released.

Maybe he just doesn't want to allow himself to form a pre-judgment as to how the universe that's near and dear to his heart is being newly interpreted, before seeing the final product.

Make sense to me at least!

Revious Nugo likes this.
  3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    George likely just gave them a taste of his usual dry sense of humor and they either didn't get it or chose to take it at face value just so they could make a big deal out of it and write "George Lucas is just not that into you, J.J. Abrams" in bold.

Whatever. I'm sure JJ knows what George really thinks.

TigerCraneFist and EHT like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Except that that force hasn't been constant (pun intended) and his vision changed all the time.

I don't know if Lucas knows whether this movie follows Lucas' original vision, even if he knows the entire script.

But it doesn't matter. I suspect he will see the movie, but if he had said he had seen the trailer, he would have gotten 8636845 questions about it.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  5. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I saw this story last week. It's just another dumb piece that begs for sharing and webclicks, and represents a growing obnoxiousness in the press and mainstreaming of tabloid nonsense. It's like all those stories titled something like "These people decorated their house better than you" and "your Christmas display is not as good as this one."
    Stuff like this makes me wonder where is the ebola epidemic we were promised a couple of months ago?
    Anyway, George Lucas is on a plane most of us can't even comprehend, along with a lot of other innovators, artists, philanthropists, etc. He's not going to respond to stuff in the same bratty fashion. He has a lot of other stuff going on. He sold Lucasfilm and has entrusted it to Disney and entrusted the movie to J.J. Abrams. His part in procuring this next trilogy is probably mostly if not completely done. Not everyone wants to see trailers to movies. I haven't seen it either.

Revious Nugo and EternalHero like this.
  6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    For all we know Lucas has already seen the rough assembly cut with footage, animatics and the temp score.

Forget the teaser he can see anything he wants to see if he wants to.

Why would he tell anyone anything at all?

Death_Jar_Jar and EternalHero like this.
  7. Santar

Santar Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2014
    I guess I was in the minority and just took him as being honest. I just figured he considers himself done with star Stars now and can't really be bothered to care much about the new movie since it's out of his hands.

8. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    Well I agree with you, he is done with star wars- it's now like his child, except this child has now left the home.
    Lucasfilm is responsible for itself now, and while George Lucas is definitly still interested in the big events in its life (life the actual TFA film), he can't be bothered to know every single detail. He obviously isn't one of those college parents who calls their kids twice a day to check up on them.

It's like someone asking a mom "are you interested in what your college kid did today at ASU?"
    and then mommy George Lucas responds, "no, not really. He's coming for Christmas in 2015. I'll talk to him then!"

Death_Jar_Jar, Mist1024 and The Bops like this.
  9. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    Yes, that is pretty much what I think he meant by his comment. I haven't seen the original article myself, but I think George Lucas knew that when Star Wars was given over to Disney, that he no longer had full control over the creative process anymore. George Lucas' reaction reminds me of some of the former presidents when they are asked on the current, sitting president. Most tend to avoid commenting directly on the current office-holder, since they have faced similar pressures and situations when they too had held "the loneliest job"; usually, whatever disagreements they might have with current president, the former presidents usually keep them private. George Lucas' comments remind me of that, and I think he realizes that it is best if he is stays out of the limelight and let the future of Star Wars go...where-ever it will go.

10. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Like already said, it's out of his hands. At that point, a sense of not caring sets in, because there's nothing you can do about it. If he doesn't like it, more stories like this will pop up, and if he does, then he'll still get grilled in the media because then rumors will fly that he likes it because it's better than he could have made it, and so on. So just saying something rather ambiguous seems the best route in a no-win scenario at this point. I imagine things will amplify when the movie gets closer to release.

11. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Lucas was involved more than he expected (from what's been told by Filoni and others) with The Clone Wars so he is obviously exhausted by it. He might want to distance himself from it to avoid getting invested in it beyond the original story outline and early meetings. It is likely he will be shown the complete movie before it premieres or maybe even before a cut is finished just as a courtesy.

12. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    From a new http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/01/12/george-lucas-strange-magic-movie/21624493/]USA[/url] Today interview:

So between the revaluation that he planned to make EPVII himself prior to the disney deal (!!!) and his comment about seeing it fresh for the first time, I'd say he's definitely looking forward to seeing the movie. It's just important to remember that he's not a fanboy, and he never really can be. As the creator, his relationship to all of this is totally different than anyone else's.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    He's also seen the trailer now:

“I haven’t seen anything; I mean I saw the trailer, it looks great, it looks interesting. But as I’ve said before: one thing I regret about Star Wars is that I never got to see it, you know? I never got to be blown away by the big ship coming over the thing, or anything. But this time I’m going to be, because I have no idea what they’re doing.”

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    There, he is interested and excited. Can we move on now? ;)

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  15. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Oh my gosh you mean the creator of Star Wars is interested in seeing what other folks do with the franchise now that he's passed it along? I never would have guessed. [face_plain]

16. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    So, in effect he wants to be like us, in the NSA forum? I mean, other than trailers and official info, that is. ;)
    This is refreshing news, not only has Lucas 'let his baby go free,' but he wants to enjoy the movie like the average guy on the street.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Isn't that a false comparison though? If Lucas wrote the outline of the trilogy, then he knows more about the movies than an ordinary fan. He won't know the in-depth details or the script or what would all appear in the movies etc he still knows the basic outline. Way more than we do.

18. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Oh I'm sure that Lucas knows a bunch more than we do about the overarching storyline, wasn't that discussed in an interview after his sale of Lucasfilm to Disney? Whether or not his ideas or outline (beyond creating the original characters) get put into The Force Awakens, I'm sure some spark of Lucas will be in the movie. But if Abrams sent Lucas some video of early shots of the movie, I get the feeling Lucas sent 'em back with a "thanks, but I'll wait to see it like everyone else" note inside.

19. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I just watched that Strange Magic interview too, and didn't see the other comment mentioning it. I could have saved myself the time I just spent typing it out. I had to scroll with my hand up to block images that might have possibly been for the movie. Gotta watch out on those movie websites.