main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ghost Hunters, Ghost Hunters International & Ghost Hunters Academy- Not your Normal Paranormal

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I can't wait to see the wright-patterson AFB one. We are going there some time this summer. Maybe I'll get spooked.

I know that you wish you could see more, but if you have ever watched the hunts they do on Halloween you can see the kinda effort they pour into the investigations. It could be a very tiring experience. I'm sure they make some money from Sci-Fi for doing it, but I don't think they are the kind which are out for the money. I understand wanting to see more, but I know there are several places they have returned to in due time. I think the second examinations (if they get a hit) sometimes lend to more legitamcy.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    But it would make sense to "strike while the iron is hot", so to speak, and investigate more when they are getting results, as oppossed to coming back a year later when there might not be any activity manifesting (heck, coming back a week later might not have any activity happening- like they said, ghosts don't come on cue).

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, who else watched the live Halloween special? It peaked early on with the "You're not supposed to be here!" voice, though the Grant tugging was interesting (though I could see how either one of them could be faked).

They should have switched the up the teams a little, at least in regards to the guest hunters. Steve from Estate of Panic did a good job with Grant, and Amanda Tapping wasn't bad with Steve and Tango though those two goof around a lot, but The Miz got a raw deal with Joe and Kristyn, who just weren't doing their job and got bogged down taking whispered prompts from the producers to ask The Miz about ECW. Should have handed The Miz over to the GHI guys at least once. I'm not a fan of bringing in wrestlers to the show just for SFC promotion purposes (at least Amanda's show has some similarities), but I feel bad the guy got the short end of the stick being stuck with J&K.

I loved how Jason and Grant must have been monitoring them as they came by and asked them "well, are you going to investigate the source of that noise or what?" and later how J&G&Steve did the mock "Do you want to talk about wrestling?" "Naw, let's hunt some ghosts instead!" intro to their courtyard investigation.

Also, it appears there will be a second Ghost Hunters spin-off

Tentatively titled "Ghost Hunters: College Edition," the show features a group of students going around the country to seek out paranormal activity.

The students will be guided by an experienced ghost investigator. Producers have not determined if any cast members from the other shows will be involved in the new project.

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    wow...people watch this stuff?

Like...follow it? Not "take nap and wake up to it on by accident"?

Actually I saw a promo for what looks to be an even faker version of this called "estate of fear"...I think it's going to be sci-fi too.

To expensive to chase ghost stories around the globe, so they'll just conjure them up in a studio now.

genius of tv.

5. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Hearing the voice live wasn't new. It's happened two times before with the GH. One time this year and then that one time they picked up the little girl laughing. I did notice his shirt was being tugged especially towards the end. I still think the camera men are very brave to be following them like that and not freak out or scream.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    JM- I think Estate of Fear is more of a game show or competition kind of thing.

As for GH- I like it. I may not believe ghosts exist, but I'm open to the possibility of unexplained things. And it basically reminds me of what me and my friends used to do all the time- go out in the middle of the night and explore (ok, trespass ;) ) abandoned or supposedly haunted locations with Weird NJ as a guide (back before that magazine got really big and you started getting "Weird America" and all those spin-off books).

7. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I'm certainly open to the possibility of ghosts and such. This was a great show, I love watching the ones on the Travel Channel too. Anyone been to a seance?

8. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    The funny thing is.

I'm a willing believer...I too used to go to cemeteries and fields and old farmhouses, waiting for that convincing moment...but was constantly disappointed, and moreover, embarrassed and irritated by loopy friends who deluded themselves into things that weren't there.

As such, the bunk of 99.9% of this stuff is so easy to bore holes through that it should be embarrassing for the guys on these shows to explain the rationale for what's really happening.

I've been told that if I wasn't so eager, and just passively "hung around not thinking about it", something would happen.

Riiight...so the ghosts only want to appear if you aren't paying them mind. What am I going to do? Pull out my proton pack?

The one thing I will say about the little of GH I've seen...they do debunk a bit...as willing as they are, they will call a fraud...but even their "unexplained" is simply "out of time to investigate."

To quote the X-files...I WANT TO BELIEVE...but that probably makes me the ultimate cynic.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't even think, at least for me and my friends, that we were even out to have a "convincing moment". We were pretty sure nothing would ever happen, it was more about just being in a spooky environment (and avoiding police or security guards, depending on the location ;) ).

I do agree that, though they do try to debunk, they're more willing or eager to attribute something unexplained within the timeframe of their investigation to paranormal origins. Sometimes a cold spot is just a cold spot, and an EM fluctuation is just an EM fluctuation. And an EVP has to be extremely comvincing and clear for me not to dismiss it as an intercepted signal or the human mind matrixing white noise into something understandable.

10. CaptainBinaca

CaptainBinaca Jedi Master star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    It's a good show, but I'm getting turned off to it for one simple reason:

That G-d awful new age music that plays throughout the entire show. "Did you hear that? That sounded like a voice!" Sorry, all I heard was some spooky John Tesh Ambient crap. If you like this sort of program, I would suggest the British show "Most Haunted". No music, so you get to hear everything they do and get to decide for yourself if it's BS.

...and back into oblivion I go.

11. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    The only thing about Most Haunted is that they freak out over every little thing, think that every orb is a ghost and Yvette screams way too much. GH at least is much more realistic.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't m\ind the GH music- it does add to the atmosphere, but I agree it's really annoying when they're playing the music when an audio-related moment is trying to be conveyed.

13. CaptainBinaca

CaptainBinaca Jedi Master star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    The reactions of some of the Most Haunted crew can be irritating, but the music-free investigating creates a better atmosphere of borderline-dread. With the lights out that show can actually be pretty firghtening at times. Please, gentlemen, turn down the bloody New Age!
    But my biggest beef with GH has to be the treatment of Brian. They whipped that poor bugger like a dog and Steve was usually ******* around just as bad if not worse. Brian was highly entertaining

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    i disagree- Brian did seem like more of a mess-up and would play idignant ignorance when caught- though he seems to have gotten his stuff together.

That said, I'm glad GH moved beyond the more reality-show-esque personal dramas like that and looked to more investigations instead.

15. obiwankenobilover

obiwankenobilover Jedi Master star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    GH and GHI are my favorite shows to watch, since it started. Plus I have read on Jason Hawes myspace that there they will two more season and there is more to come go here for a surprise.

How many of you watch Ghost Adventures and Paranormal State? Ghost Adventures has become one of my fav shows behind GH. I do like Paranormal State as well.

MH can be very annoying at times but its all right show.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Really disapointed with this year's Halloween Live show- I want to watch the investigation, not a rerun marathon.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Watched the first episode of GHA- the reality show aspect isn't as distracting as I had feared, though some of the contestant drama could get old- it reminds me of the Brian drama of the first season or two of GH.

However, best thing about it, by far, is that 1) They're revisiting previous locations (something I'd like to see them do more of- how many episodes have ended with a "we'd love to come back" from Jason or Grant, versus how many actual followup investigations have been on the show?) and 2) they're doing 2-night investigations, which is something that I've wondered why they didn't do on the show (I can understand it initially when they still have the day job, but by now if they find a lot of activity in a location, I don't see any reason why they couldn't do another night or at least bring in a secondary team for the followup night).

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think I'm starting to tire of this franchise. It seems they're running low on juicy locations- every place is described as having "shadows, noises, objects, full body apparitions" etc and it seems they're more willing to call a place haunted than when they first started. There's also seems to be more questionable shots/evidence where it just happens to occur in a camera angle that doesn't rule out them hoaxing it.

I'm not yet ready to take them off my Season Pass Manager, but I'm leaning that way- even though GHI does go to some more interesting locations and, as I mentioned earlier, I like that GHA revisits hot locations.

I also think Destination Truth has stole my interest- that series is amazing. They probably have the second best job in the world (after "Mythbuster").

19. Slowburn

Slowburn Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 22, 2010
    Yeah, I was into this franchise for awhile but I don't even bother to watch very often anymore. I've seen a few episodes of "Ghost Hunters Academy" and it seemed to be more of a reality to show than serious paranormal investigating, which is something I'm not interested in. I haven't seen "Ghost Hunters International" but I imagine that it would be good. I've personally never encountered anything in the States but I've had experiences overseas with little effort that they would be insane not to check out. Poenari Castle in Romania comes to mind. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.