main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ghost Rider & Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Son of the Suns, May 23, 2006.

1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i think Roland is going to have a heart attack :p

2. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I was suprised to find that I liked the trailer.

But with movies that are based on some of the more off-beat comics, such as this, Tank Girl, Constantine or Spawn, then you either love 'em or hate 'em. So many people don't like Tank Girl, but I love how bizzare it is.

But I reckon I'll see Ghost Rider.

"Let's ride!"

3. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I was too excited after the Superman Returns trailer to focus on the Ghost Rider trailer that followed (both played in front of my screening of X3). The only thing that's stuck in my mind is the shot Lando posted. That looks awesome.

4. X-Wing-Ace

X-Wing-Ace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2006
    I couldn't get it to work either. But needless to say, being a hardcore biker and a fan of the 70's Johnny Blaze comics, this is a film that I've been waiting for for years. I just hope they can get it right.

Ahhh, sounds like a car buff talking here. I, on the other hand, being a biker have a certain identification with this Marvel character, something you obviously wouldn't understand in a million years. Oh, by the way, Ghost Rider was around looong before Skeletor was even thought of. [face_plain]

5. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    For those who can't get the Quicktime version to work, you might want to try it at Yahoo.

6. Mandalore_X

Mandalore_X Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    This looks really good. I like how they're doing a blend of Danny Ketch and Johnny Blaze.

As long as the Penance stare is in there, and as long as he can shoot Hellfire, I'm happy.

Oh, and for the record, It's Mephisto's Son, Black Heart, Not the devil himself(Mephisto)

7. sarlaccpit_48

sarlaccpit_48 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    After seeing it twice (I saw it both times I saw X-Men 3) I must say it looks great. When I found out the were making a Ghostrider movie I thought one of 2 things, Ghrostrider was going to look like crap or he was going to look awsome and from what I saw he looks awsome.

He's like Skelator, but on freakin fire!!!

And do I even have to mention, EVA MENDEZ!!!

Now the only thing that scares me is that it's being directed by the same guy who gave us Dare Devil. I don't know what you all think, but I feel Dare Devil sucked. It could have been a lot better, just like the Hulk. (If you didn't see the Hulk let me tell you that they screwed up the entire story line and made Burce Banner's father Absorbing Man. What were they thinking!)

8. Mandalore_X

Apr 22, 2005
    It wasn't that Bad. The next one will be better.

The origin story of bruce was done horribly and the movie was paced to slow, but character development and action made up for it.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Watch the Daredevil Director's Cut. It will change your mind. It is a vast improvement over the theatrical release.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i have faith in the director. i thought Daredevil was actually quite good. so i'm expecting something like daredevil if not better

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Daredevil, I thought, was pretty solid at giving us an enjoyable comic book flick (though certainly not at the level of X-men, X2, the Spidermans or Batman Begins). It's only really major flaw was the use of wirework in some of the fight scenes. I'll have to catch the Director's Cut one day.

So, IMO, DD bodes well for Ghost Rider being fun too.

12. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    According to IMDB, Wes Bentley plays Blackheart.

13. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    The only thing Im worried about is Nicholas Cage as Johnny Blaze, which admittedly is a huge worry. He's one of my favorite actors but his need to play a superhero for the last fifteen years may overshadow the whole thing, as cool as the trailer looks. A-list actors playing comic book parts is usually a recipe for disaster. Ghost Rider is nowhere near a mainstream icon as Superman or Spiderman, so I guess its not as important to get a relative unknown to play the part, but he is a cult icon in the comic book world, so it might be wise that that fan base not be pissed - and the trailer certainly delivers, no doubt about it.

14. X-Wing-Ace

Jun 12, 2006
    Same here. I actually thought Dare Devil was pretty damned good. Dare I say it, but I thought it was up there with Batman Begins. Moody, tragic, good plot and interesting characters. I personally couldn't find anything wrong with it. But then, I was never a fan of the comic book. Liked the movie though and hope they make a follow-up.

15. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    This looks stupid. I had never heard of Ghost Rider until the buzz about the movie, but it looks to me like comic companies are trying to appeal every demographic. In this case, the redneck Harley riders.

16. Mandalore_X

Apr 22, 2005
    I'm going to say one thing: Read the Dan Ketch Series.

17. X-Wing-Ace

Jun 12, 2006
    I'm just going to say one thing too. Ghost Rider has existed for over 30 YEARS.

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    If you don't know who Ghost Rider is, just imagine Spawn without his cape and armor and with a motorcycle and flaming skull instead. They're essentially the same thing otherwise.

19. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005

So have redneck Harley riders.

20. X-Wing-Ace

Jun 12, 2006
    But you said that the comic companies are trying to appeal to every demographic, as if this were a recent thing. Whereas Ghost Rider is an old comic from the 70's.

As for the Harley thing, there are many more types of bikes and biker out there than Hogs and Hell's Angels. Mine, for example, is a large Honda desert racer.

21. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    This looks like it will be epically BAD.

[face_plain]

22. X-Wing-Ace

Jun 12, 2006
    In what way? Explain yourself please.

23. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    When I comes to comic book characters, I am pretty conservative. I am sure that plenty of people will like Ghost Rider, but I tend to only follow those comic characters who were established either before I was able to read or well before I was even born (Superman, Batman, X-men, Spiderman, etc). I can only think of one exception, and that's Blade. Love the first two movies, and hated the third. The third could have been better if Dracula had looked and acted more like the resurrected guy from "Underworld" instead of a bouncer in a bar. Too young looking, too much of a brute, and too unsophisticated. Now that guy is on some stupid Fox or WB show.

24. X-Wing-Ace

Jun 12, 2006
    Hmm, interesting views. You don't like characters that were made in your life time or after you could understand them. Call me strange, but personally I only follow the comic characters I actually take a liking to (Judge Dread being another one in my list). These don't have to be old or new, but rather ones I find enjoyable...

25. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    I quess it's the familiarity. When you memory is developing as a little kid, I suppose the already established superheroes get stated over and over in the media, and even by your friends, family, etc. By the time your older, you get set in your ways. I supposed this why I stated that I was conservative. I don't like change too much. The only reason I like Blade is because it is a new take on the whole vampire thing, but more recent heroes (by recent, I mean anything from about 1970s to the present) like the Crow, the Punisher, etc are more like anti-heroes whose ultimate goal is good, but they use some morally questionable means to get there. I like the stories where the lines between good and evil are more clearly drawn. This doesn't mean that the hero is perfect in all of his actions, but it means that he strives to never kill someone unless it is absolutely necessary.

An example would be prefering Batman tactics over Catwoman tactics. Sure, he seems anti-heroish on occasion, but for the most part he strives to be a better person than the enemies that he fights.

I suppose Ghost Rider just looks like another anti-hero to me. I like dark, but not TOO dark.