main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST Ghostly Purpose (Autumn Bingo) short, pleasant ficlet

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Sep 30, 2020.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Autumn Bingo

Cider, Scarecrow, Ghost, Thankful, Orange.

Ghostly Purpose

The thick robe floated on the breeze, flirting with the ground, but never touching it. It was not tossed to and fro, but it retained the shape of a humanoid, arms, at least, seeming to fill the billowing sleeves.

The twin suns were low on the horizon, casting a yellow-orange glow over the desert floor, which contrasted with the shimmering blue sheen which surrounded the figure.

It was not long before the phantom reached the first spire, now old and dilapidated from years without maintenance. It hovered near the pylon seeming to regard it with some reflection. If anyone were looking, the sight would have been strange. Not just that there was a legless, shimmering blue robe roaming the desert, but that it stopped at this spot as if it held some reverence.

The figure rose from the ground and halted about halfway up. What was it doing? Was it looking for something? Was it retrieving some long lost token?

A sudden gust of desert wind blasted the spire and the billowing robe was beat against it, and despite its best efforts to keep to its task, it was caught between the smaller spires and hooked into the machinery. The former graceful billowing became a ripping of the robe in the wind and sand. But, again, if anyone had been looking, it would have appeared a frightful sight, an omen that would surely keep intruders away.

As the wind dies down, the phantom untangled himself and proceeded to remove a small object from a panel on the spire. It had no hands, nor a face, but none the less, the panel popped open a pin was removed. He, the ghost, remembered when the Crazy Old Wizard had given it to him so long ago. It was a pendant, one that could not displayed openly for fear of arrest. He had hidden it here, keeping it from his Aunt and Uncle, and any other prying eyes.

Invisible hands tucked the item into the robes and the ghost returned to just above the desert floor. It resumed its course, but bypassed the old homestead, en route to a small abode which sat on a cliff overlooking a vastness below.

As the figure floated over the threshold of the small home, it materialized into a man. Removing his robe, a young blonde face emerged wearing black from head to toe, with a lightsaber clipped to his belt.

“Would you like some Keldoran cider?” said the Crazy Old Wizard, also coated in the shimmering blue light.

“You know that neither of us will be drinking cider today,” the younger apparition replied. “I am thankful for the offer, though.”

“It is a habit, I suppose,” the Wizard said. “I used to drink it every day.”

The younger man produced, the pendant and showed it to friend. “I thought it was time to pass it on.”

The Wizard nodded sagely. “The past should not be forgotten. Too often, it is, and wars persist where they should never have been in the first place.”

“I will give it to her. They have their own, but like you said, the past should not be forgotten.”

“My old bones are cold and I would truly like a taste of that cider,” the Wizard complained in jest.

“What old bones?” the young man teased in return. “Perhaps the Force will allow us a moment to enjoy it.”

A mere moment later, the shimmer blue light evaporated and the two men stood as they had been, flesh and bone.

The old man nodded with a smile and walked over to the cider pot where steam already rose from the spout. The young man grinned and joined him as the cider was poured.

“To The Force,” the younger said.

“To The Force, indeed,” the older agreed and savored the long pull of cider from his mug.

Mira_Jade , GregMcP and AzureAngel2 like this.
  2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Loved the idea of the two old ghosts sharing cider. That was weirdly sweet.

Your imagery was also amazing and made it spooky enough to sound like a real 'ghost' story. Loved it.

AzureAngel2 and brodiew like this.
  3. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    It was a very cosy, cordial ghost story. Not filled with the terror of Lovecraft or the madness of Poe.

Plus cidre drinking ghosts. Very Celtic!

Thanks for writing something warm and humorous. :D

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    @Kit':Thank you for the R&R. I appreciate it. I'm glad you liked the imagery. That was my main focus. I did not mean for it to be scary, but purposeful.
    @AzureAngel2: Thank you for stopping in, AzureAngel2! Nice to see you here. I'm glad it was comfy and cozy for you. Perhaps, something more maddening coming soon...[face_skull]

AzureAngel2 and Kit' like this.
  5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, but this was a very intriguing piece! I loved the atmosphere you managed to convey throughout - how you were able to incorporate that eerie sort of autumn ambiance into a wind-beaten, dreary desert. Maybe it was the feeling of emptiness and haunting you were able to portray? Not that it stayed for long, of course. The depth of Luke and Obi-Wan's friendship - and the weight of their hard earned wisdom - really warmed up this piece and made it quite pleasant indeed!

Amen to that! =D= This reminded me of Galadriel's narration at the begining of Peter Jackson's FotR. It holds very true to the ST, as well, unfortunately. [face_plain]

But what a beautiful note to end on, with cider and such warm fellowship shared even beyond death. I loved it! Every word. [face_love] =D=

brodiew likes this.