main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Before - Legends Gimme Danger (JA--Aalto/Obi/OC) *6.22.04*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeSolo, Dec 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    GIMME DANGER

Summary: Padawans Aalto Riordan and Obi-Wan Kenobi go undercover as bandmates for a politically vocal rock star to protect him from serious threats.

Timeframe: 6 years before TPM

Characters: Aalto, Obi-Wan, OCs

Rating: PG--Action, Humor, Drama

Disclaimer nonsense: I bow to the Flanneled One. And to Dave Wolverton, for creating Aalto. And to whoever wrote the song "Gimme Danger," because it's a really great song especially when sung by Ewan McGregor.

Some more nonsense: I'll probably be using lots of song lyrics. Most of them wil be stolen from actual songs. I'll be sure to stick up a disclaimer then, because you know how the music industry people are about stealing ;)

The last bit of nonsense: I made up my own version of Aalto in [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=13596763]Heavy Thoughts[/link] (based off a story I read elsewhere, that I can't for the life of me find again). It's not necessary to read that one to understand this one, but it can't hurt, you know :D

2. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Chapter 1

"The Gobryas ritual was held just before crop season began and was performed, as in many other cultures, to appeal to the gods for a bountiful harvest. It was carried out by seven priests, one from each of the seven deity cults, and led by the Head Priestess of the Mysia Temple."

Beep beep beep.

"The color crimson was heavily used and represented not blood, a common assumption, but the period of red sunrises that signaled the coming of the crop season."

Beep beep beep.

"On the fourth day of the month Sybota, bonfires were lit at dawn, and?"

Beep beep beep.

The comlink's soft but insistent beeping pulled Aalto Rierdan from the cultural history that had captivated him for the past three hours. Swearing softly, he pulled the offensive object from the pocket of his robes and flicked the transmit switch.

"Rierdan."

A soft female voice answered back. "Padawan Rierdan, the Council requests your presence at their chambers immediately."

"Damn it," Aalto muttered, quietly enough that the caller could not hear him. "Understood," he added a bit more loudly before tucking the comlink back into its pocket and turning his attention back to the archive holoscreen.

The bright blue letters glowed softly against the black background, threatening to hypnotize him back into reading. With a sigh, Aalto reluctantly cleared the screen and stood, wincing slightly as his stiff muscles protested the sudden movement. He was glad his master was not around, for the knight never missed an opportunity to rib his apprentice.

"And what did the Geriatric Genius learn today?" Xeo Chione would always say in his usual humored growl. The gray-furred Shistavanen would then grin, revealing a row of lethally sharp teeth.

Geriatric, maybe, Aalto thought as he trotted down the stairs to the main level of the Jedi Archives. He was only nineteen, but countless hours spent hunched over the data stations were already taking their toll on his back and neck. But hardly a genius.

Nodding in greeting to a few acquaintances, his brown boots made barely a sound over the thick carpeting as he made his way toward the nearest lift. Once inside, he checked his appearance in the reflective paneling, smoothing the sand-colored tunic and dark pants and straightening the matching dark cloak. A quick brush of fingers through light brown hair, and he deemed himself presentable to the Council.

Then again, if he was in some sort of trouble, it didn't really matter what he looked like. But Aalto quickly dismissed the thought. He was not a troublemaker, and thus he had no reason to become anxious over this meeting or any other time the Council asked to see him.

Master Xeo, on the other hand, became tense not with fear but with dislike for a certain troll-like senior Council member.

Aalto masked the smirk that spread across his face as the lift doors opened, though the expression was already too subtle for anyone not standing right next to him to notice. He stepped out into the large anteroom of the Council chambers and jerked to a stop, his momentum halted by the sight of the room's other occupant.

Judging from the look on his face, Aalto surmised that Obi-Wan Kenobi was just as surprised by the circumstances as he was. The reddish-haired padawan tilted his head in acknowledgment before turning away to study what must have been an invisible yet fascinating pattern on the carpeted floor.

The padawan on duty looked up from her datapad. "They're ready to see you now."

Both boys hesitated.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Both of you," she said in answer to the silent question.

Obi-Wan looked over and shrugged slightly before striding away.

Great, Aalto thought dryly. He allowed himself a moment of un-Jedi-like thought as he followed the other padawan into the meeting room.

This better not be a mission pairing.

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Yeah! Another fic! Wonderful beginning and nice to see these two still harbor some ill feelings toward one another. This mission should test that even further! :D

4. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Yay! You've started another. :D

I like the first postie! They're gonna get stuck together, huh? :p Should be fun! :)

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Hurray. Another Aalto/Kenobi fic. I'm looking forward to seeing what trouble you can get those two into...

6. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Aalto/Obi together for trouble- what fun!

7. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Very interesting. I shall be looking for this to read as you post.

8. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    obi_ew||This mission should test that even further!|| No Jedi smackdowns just yet :p

HHP||Yay! You've started another.|| That's right, and I've already got another in the works! :D

diane||I'm looking forward to seeing what trouble you can get those two into... || Oh, lots! [face_devil]

PK||what fun! || You have no idea :p It'll probably more on the silly side.

CK Thanks! I hope you enjoy it :)

Posting this during finals week was a bad idea, but when the Muse strikes, I guess you can't ignore her. But I probably should've thought about the fact that I'll be out of the country for the next couple of weeks, so this next post will have to last until I get back :( (unless I take an extra-long study break) But don't worry, plenty of time to write on the plane--and who knows, maybe I'll even stick up a post from India :D

Damn, these posts seem so much longer when I'm actually writing them [face_plain]

9. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Chapter 2

The two padawans stood side-by-side in the center of the Council's meeting room, with twelve pairs of eyes focused on them. Silence hung in the air for several moments, but Aalto waited patiently for one of the masters to speak, unlike Obi-Wan, who seemed to be fighting the urge to shift nervously.

Aalto could understand why. It felt like the two of them were being examined down to their very cores.

Mace Windu, who had been studying them with his head propped up by one hand, leaned forward slightly before finally breaking the peace. "Do either of you know who Marzik Bowyn is?"

"No, Master," Obi-Wan replied, shaking his head.

Mace looked at Aalto as though expecting the same answer but found the padawan with his sea-green eyes narrowed in thought. "Aalto?"

"He's a musician," said Aalto.

Mace's gaze remained on him, somehow knowing he had more information to share.

"He's a rather famous musician," Aalto continued, a little embarrassed that he knew as much as he did. "His work isn't particularly ear-drum shattering, but many of his songs are very political. He's very much a philanthropist and a champion of labor rights, since he grew up in a working class family. A good percentage of his record sales is donated towards causes such as improving labor conditions." He ignored Obi-Wan's surprised look.

Mace nodded. "His activeness has not endeared him to businesses that wish to keep their costs low and profits high. Many of these same businesses have donated funds to political campaigns, and thus there are politicians who have problems with him." He glanced over at Saesee Tiin, yielding the floor to him.

"Bowyn is about to go on tour with the annual Amalgam Festival, which will run for four months and will stop at various systems in the Odeon and Mnestra sectors," the Ikotchi master explained. "The last stop is just next to Souniriol, where worker-owner relations in the manufacturing plants have escalated to a fatal level. The issue is currently sparking heated debates in the Senate. Bowyn himself plans to speak first at a workers' rally and then to the board members of the various companies involved. His goal is to help the labor unions negotiate better contracts. As Master Windu said before, a number of people are extremely displeased with his involvement."

"Bowyn has already been threatened several times," Mace said, picking the story up again. "Though there have been no outright attempts on his life as of yet, he is concerned that there are people who will go to all costs to ensure he does not make it to the rally on Souniriol."

Aalto nodded, a sinking feeling growing within his stomach as he began to realize just where this was all going.

"Obi-Wan, Aalto, the two of you will accompany Bowyn on this tour, acting as his bodyguards until he delivers his speech on Souniriol."

For several beats, Aalto's pulse quickened. It was not the first time he had been sent out on assignments without his master, but they had never lasted so long. Obi-Wan appeared to be having the same reaction, but his seemed to be grounded more in excitement than uncertainty. A myriad thoughts swirled around in Aalto's head, the loudest of them whether or not he was ready for an extended mission.

"A concern you have, Padawan Rierdan?" Yoda asked, speaking for the first time.

The young man opened his mouth but hesitated, wondering how best to word his thoughts. "It's not so much a concern as curiosity, Master," he managed. "Why are we being sent and not two knights, or a master-padawan team?"

"We are complying with Bowyn's request," Mace answered. "He asked for Jedi who would blend in with the age groups the festival normally attracts." His dark eyes flicked back and forth between the two padawans. "He is here on Coruscant and leaves in two days for the tour's first stop, but I suggest you meet with him before then." After receiving slight nods of acknowledgment, he added, "If there are no more questions, you are dismissed. May the Force be with you."

10. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I love it! Bodyguards to a rockstar, hee hee. Since they'll probably have to blend in, will our intrepid padawans be up for a uniform change? :p

India, huh? Yup, a long plane ride! I expect the next posty the moment you get back, missy. :p Good luck with finals!

edit: cant spel rite

11. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Maybe Obi will don some eyeliner and leather and take the stage himself! :D India? :eek: Have fun but hurry back!

12. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Great post.

I shall be interested in seeing what kind of change in style of fashion those two will have to undergo.

13. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    I discovered this today, and it looks really interesting.

So Aalto and Obi are going to be bodyguards for a rock star? This is going to be a fun ride! :D

Great fic so far JadeSolo.

Have a safe trip. :)

~Bek

14. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Oh, those poor boys. ;) I find it interesting Aalto knew about the musician, and Obi-Wan didn't. How will that play out later on? Aalto wise in such matters, Obi-Wan clueless?

Also, geriatic Aalto? I guess he has problems with his schoolwork?

Great posts. :D Thanks for telling me about this. ;) :D

15. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    o_e is making my mind go places it doesn't belong right now.

16. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Trouble - oh those two will get into such trouble (especially together). And a rock star will have his hanger-ons, his entourage, his manager and several females of various ages - not to mention liquid and solid refreshments of all kinds! It will be fun to see what they'll do with that kind of excitement.

Have fun in India. I assume that it's pleasure, not business. Wow, I'm envious (I love to travel but hate to fly). Let us know how it goes when you get back!

17. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    India? I only get to go to Las Vegas :(

18. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    HHP Hehe, I don't think "intrepid" is the right word ;)

obi_ew I see someone has seen "Velvet Goldmine"! Maybe I'll have Obi-Wan pull a Curt Wylde and bare all :eek: (did I spell his name right?)

CK Everyone's so excited about the clothes! It won't be anything too wild...then again... [face_mischief]

Bekah Hi! Thanks for dropping in :) I promise to make it a wild ride (I keep using the word "wild"--must be a subconcious thing, hehe).

obaona You'll find out about Aalto's so-called "wisdom" in the next post ;) As for the geriatric business, oops, maybe I was too subtle--he's kind of a nerd who likes to do extra reading in the Archives. I dig nerds and geeks [face_love]

PK [face_laugh] You should see what's going on in my mind...gimme ice water :p

diane Oh, you know, it'll just be the usual sex, drugs, & rock 'n' roll, but maybe not in that order :D

Yes, the India trip is pleasure--my brother's getting married! Then again, only part pleasure, since the ceremony is at 4 am. Ah, Indians and their auspicious times. Hey, PK, which hotel are you staying at in Vegas? The only time I was there, I wasn't allowed in the Bellagio because I wasn't 18 yet. Not even into the lobby! :mad:

On a wonderful note, only one more final project to finish tonight (plus the ever-painful task of packing)! So there will definitely be a post tomorrow before I leave.

19. masterobiwankenobi

masterobiwankenobi Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2003
    Wow, I just found this story, it's really cool so far. It's different from most of what i've read so far. :) Can't wait to read more.

20. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Very Interesting.

21. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Jade!

Just found your newest offering and it looks like a great read already! Certainly different from most of the stories I've seen around. I loved the way you wrote Aalto in your last story and I'm sure it will be no different here.

Great start, and have a safe and happy trip to India. Hope your finals went well, too. :)

Shaindl

22. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Oops. I had a post ready before I left, but no time to post it [face_blush] But I'm going to clean it up, and it'll probably be up tomorrow--really! I promise, or else no Jello snackpack for me (haha...yeah).

In other news, I now have a sister-in-law! :) My brother's wedding went fine, if you don't count the buckets of rain that forced the venue location to be changed, plus the fact that the majority of family members had colds (mine made an appearance the morning of the wedding!! :mad: ). Oh well--I got some nice clothes and jewelry out of it all, and that's what really counts, right? Right? :p

23. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Found this story when first posted, but I forget to reply. *smacks self*

Can't wait for the next post, Jade! This seems like it's about to explode, and I love the tension between Aalto and Obi-Wan. [face_love]

Glad to hear the wedding went well. :)

-Krystal

24. Desimir

Desimir Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2003
    You're back! It's been very quiet and lonely without you my love. [face_love]

25. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Clothes, jewelery & Des- you must be a happy girl :D

I always stay at the Paris hotel. But I had lunch and gambled over at Bellagio this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.