main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Gimme Danger (JA--Aalto/Obi/OC) *6.22.04*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeSolo, Dec 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Krystal Don't worry--apparently I forget to post! :p (like yesterday, for example)

Des [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] Now that I'm back, things will get loud and wild again [face_mischief] ;)

PK Oooh, yes, very happy! Except for ringing in the Midwest New Year with Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey *gag* As for Vegas, my parents used to be wild about the Luxor, but I never quite got the deal about the beam of light. It's a beam of light! So what? :p

Post coming in a bit (here's hoping I don't get interrupted by the call to dinner!).

2. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Just as dinner is ready! :p

Chapter 3

Waiting for the lift to arrive, Obi-Wan studied Aalto?s reflection in the polished door. The taller padawan seemed calm and lost in thought, and Obi-Wan felt almost guilty for breaking the quiet.

?Do you know a lot about Marzik Bowyn?? he asked as the lift doors opened.

?No,? Aalto replied as they stepped through the opening side by side, ?but I know someone who does.?

Several minutes later they stood at a room furthest from the lifts on the level that housed the younger padawans. Aalto pounded several times on the door with his fist, and a series of soft crashes responded from within. Obi-Wan couldn?t help but notice the slight smile the ruckus had brought to his face.

The door slid open to reveal a petite padawan who grinned sheepishly at Aalto.

?I thought you were Master Aux!? she exclaimed. ?She always comes at the worst times.?

Aalto tapped the side of his head.

?Yeah, yeah, I know,? the dark-haired girl said, rolling her eyes. She then grabbed the sleeve of his cloak and hauled him inside. ?C?mere! You have to see this!?

Obi-Wan followed the pair into the room, carefully picking his way around datacards, flimsies, and several books that lay scattered on the floor. The girl was happily chattering away to Aalto, pointing exuberantly at the terminal on her desk.

?And then?? the girl grabbed a datacard from a sloppy pile and slid it into a reader ??she goes and does this, which completely robbed her of any credibility that she ever had as a serious musician?as if she could ever be considered one in the first place. And now she?s trying to made everything better by telling the world her sad story? HA!?

Obi-Wan smiled. The girl, who was probably about fourteen but didn?t look much older than ten, sounded like the right person to answer their questions. And as if reading his thoughts, the girl turned her head towards him, her demeanor changing suddenly from bubbly to shy.

Aalto followed her gaze. ?My friend, Eilia Volero,? he said to Obi-Wan. Then, almost as an afterthought, he introduced Obi-Wan.

Eilia tugged nervously at a strand of hair. ?Hi,? she said quietly. Fixing her attention back on Aalto, she reverted back to being the extrovert. ?So??

?Yes?? Aalto asked.

?What?s up??

?Tell me everything you know about Marzik Bowyn.?

?Why? Don?t you remember everything I?ve already said before??

?I know, but give me some more details.?

Eilia?s lilac eyes narrowed suspiciously. ?You never ask for details. You just listen to me talk on and on. What?s the deal??

?It?s for a mission,? Aalto said hesitantly.

?Are you meeting him or something?? When there was no response, she shrieked in envy, causing Obi-Wan to flinch slightly. ?You are! How?! Why?! When?!?

?The Amalgam Festival. He asked for Jedi protection, specifically people who could blend in.?

Eilia stared at him for a moment, her pale features scrunching in confusion. ?And he asked you??

?You think I stand out??

?Not in looks, in actions.? She grinned at Obi-Wan, her shyness momentarily forgotten. ?He knows plenty about people who lived thousands of years ago, but when it comes to current cultural trends, he lost. Completely!?

?As if there?s anything to discover,? Aalto grumbled, prompting Eilia to take a swipe at his head, more than an arm?s length above her own. ?Okay, fine, tell me about this festival.?

Eilia pursed her lips in thoughts. ?It brings together performers from several genres of music, the point being to sort of bridge together all different types of musicians, promote understanding and camraderie among the fans?-they can get rabid sometimes. That sort of thing.?

?Do you think there?s a certain way we should go about protecting Bowyn?? Obi-Wan asked.

?Well, you?re supposed to blend in, so start with that.? The younger padawan grinned mischievously as an idea struck. ?The entourage!?

?Oh, great,? Aalto groaned.

?Every big rock star has an entourage,? E

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Yeah a posty! :D I can't wait to see how these two are going to fit in with the rock star and his entourage! And yes I keep having visions of Velvet Goldmine ! ;)

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh good. A post. I can just picture Obi-Wan in black eyeliner and glitter paint on his left cheek, those colorful blinking lights threaded in his braid...LOL. Quite a sight as a groupie!
    It was cute that Aalto went to the source, a young kid fan!

Good job. Welcome back.

5. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    No Diane- not eyeliner :D

6. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    ?It?s nothing, really,? Eilia insisted. ?Or maybe it is...I?m not sure. Marzik?s probably the person to ask.?

Wondering if Eilia knows more than she's letting on, with all the research she does keeping up with these bands and all.

Great post! Loved the interaction between Eilia and the boys, and the fact that they're turning to a fourteen year old as the source of information for their mission.

Can't wait for more!

~Bek

7. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    LOL - I loved teenybopper Jedi! :D

I'm curious to know about the relationship between Aalto and Eilia. You captured teenage girl in the middle of hero worship perfectly Jade. I very much hope we'll see more of her.

Great work!

Shaindl

8. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    obi_ew Fear not, a touch of Velvet Goldmine is coming soon. Just be patient :D

diane Blinking lights? [face_laugh] You're really giving me some great ideas!

PK Aalto's not getting eyeliner, but I never said anything about Obi-Wan, hehehe [face_devil]

Bek There have to be some Jedi who do something with their free time besides meditate and ponder the meaning of the Force :p

Shaindl Eilia will definitely show up again. Someone's gotta help out the clueless heroes :D

For all the Ewan fans (i.e., all of you, I'm sure): About 10 minutes ago, I called my boss to set up my new work schedule. Someone called on another line, and I got put on hold. I was expecting either classical music, a robotic voice telling me about all the wonderful things Fox gives to the entertainment and media world, or complete silence. Instead, I heard this:

"Coooooooooome what maaaaaayyyyyyy..." [face_love]

I was so disappointed when my boss put me back on the line [face_laugh]

And now, on to the Ewan--I mean, post.

9. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Chapter 4

Whoever had decorated the headquarters of the Warped Records must have had an obsession with wine, for it was the color that bled into every bit of furnishing. The walls, ceilings, carpeting, and the plush couch upon which Aalto and Obi-Wan sat were saturated with the dark red-purple shade. The only respite from the monotone of color came from the bits of silver and gold that came in the form of numerous music awards displayed prominently in glass cases.

Aalto found it a bit odd that the recording label hadn't even thought to show off its stars by flashing holos everywhere, especially a company that, according to Eilia, had the most number of clients under contract and was currently making the most money off of said clients. He also found it extremely odd that Marzik Bowyn, patron of the working class, had recently signed a deal with Warped Records after years of producing his music independently. Even Eilia, his primary source for information, had not been able to give an explanation.

Beside him, Obi-Wan stood and walked over to the one focal point present in the room they had been ushered into. The Warped emblem blazed brightly, two gold percussion sticks crossed like dueling swords over a gold guitar that seemed to pulse with life, almost begging someone to rake a pick over its strings. Obi-Wan reached out and gently touched them, jerking his hand back when a cacophonous screeching erupted from out of nowhere.

"What did you do?" Aalto yelled over the wailing.

"I thought it was fake!" Obi-Wan insisted.

A door on the other side of the room cracked open, and a blue face with forest green hair popped through, point in Aalto's direction and mouthing something.

"What?" Aalto asked, putting a hand up to his ear. Following the alien's line of sight, he turned and saw a black box next to the couch, realizing that it was the source of the racket. Turning back around, he watched as the blue-skinned alien pointed again, tapped his ear, made a twisting motion with his other hand, and then flipped a finger down. Aalto looked at the box again and began dialing every knob he could find down to zero, sighing in relief when the noise finally died down.

The alien grinned and retracted his head back through the door.

"I wonder what that was all about," Obi-Wan mused.

"What?" Aalto said a little louder than necessary. Frowning, he pressed a hand to the side of his head, wondering if the ringing would stop soon.

"I said, I wonder what?" Obi-Wan stopped as the blue-skinned alien popped his head out the door again, gesturing for the two padawans to come through. "Never mind," he finished.

The new room was, of course, flooded with the same wine color as the rest of the place but was also stocked with various instruments. One guitar was currently in the loving embrace of the alien, who plugged in a pair of headphones and began running his fingers up and down the strings.

"Don't mind him," said a jovial voice from one of the corners. "Dascon gets a little over-enthusiastic sometimes. But we love him anyway." The voice's owner, a human male of average height, leapt jauntily over a tangle of wires and practically bounced his way over to Aalto and Obi-Wan. "Marzik Bowyn," he said with his hand outstretched.

Aalto grasped the proffered hand and tried not to let his surprise show as he introduced himself and Obi-Wan. Bowyn looked nothing like the holos he had seen the night before. Ash blonde hair fell to the older man's less-than-broad shoulders, and deep blue-green eyes twinkled in sockets surrounded by the slightest of wrinkles. The flashy wardrobe had been replaced with plain pants and a nondescript shirt.

"We should probably get right down to business, but first I'd like to thank the both of you for being here," said Marzik. "These past couple of weeks have really been hell for me, and I already feel a lot better knowing that you're coming along on the tour."

"You hadn't considered not touring?" Obi-Wan asked.

"Of course I'd considered it. As a last r

10. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    LOL! This keeps getting better and better! I love the contradictions in Marzik's character - the plain clothing but a smile only a rock star could have. You certainly have a talent for creating interesting OCs. I can just imagine Qui-Gon's reaction to Obi-Wan practicing electric guitar in their quarters. :D

Can't wait for more! Great job!

Shaindl

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved this. I can just picture Obi-Wan wailing away in his room, the electric guitar vibrating with loud noise and pulsing with light! Qui-Gon would stand there, a patient pained look on his face, his arms crossed in the patented Jedi disapproval stance.. LOL.

Looking forward to more!

12. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Too funny! This should be fun! :D

13. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Shaindl Marzik's an odd bird ;) Glad you're enjoying him!

diane [face_laugh] You keep giving me the funniest mental images!

obi_ew Thanks :) But first, some angst :p

A short post with my beloved Yoda-hater [face_love]

14. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Chapter 5

In strong contrast to his apprentice, Xeo Chione was a light-hearted, easy-going man who was quick with a smile and even quicker with a joke. The only real darkness about him was his fondness for baring his teeth and frightening scores of young initiates, to the great annoyance of the crèche masters. Still, the children knew there was no malice behind the grimace and would giggle over who had been the first to scream or the first to run away.

He was a jovial sort. But that didn't mean he would tolerate any funny business when it came to his padawan.

The Shistavanen knight stood on one of the Temple's many balconies, allowing the strong wind to cool the angry flush that flowed through him. "At least it's you, and not that ever do-gooding, monstrous troll who should stick his nose in unpleasant places rather than matters that don't require his attention."

Coming up behind him, Mace Windu couldn't help but smile. It wasn't every Jedi who had a strong dislike for Yoda. "I think I'd like to be present when you tell him that in person."

"This isn't funny, Master Windu," Xeo growled. "I don't know what sort of game that green muppet is playing, but it will not be with my padawan."

"It's just a mission, Xeo," the dark-skinned Jedi Master assured him. "You've had nothing but utmost confidence in your apprentice. In fact, I would think you would approve of such a pairing." Mace's eyes narrowed. "Unless there is something you've neglected to tell the Council."

Xeo bared his teeth as the wind whipped gray fur around his face, giving him a dangerous, feral look. "I am not questioning Aalto's abilities to work with others. He has always maintained professionalism in every case. And despite whatever he thinks of young Kenobi, he will watch his back because Kenobi is a fellow Jedi. Because it is part of his duty."

"You're very protective of him." It wasn't a question.

"Of course I am. What kind of master would I be otherwise?" A soft, sighing growl rumbled from his throat. "I know he can take care of himself?he has the skill and maturity. But even after all this time I've spent working with him..." His dark grey eyes became sad. "Master, there are places deep within him even I can't reach. And the less than five people in the entire Order whom he really trusts, they have even stronger walls to break through."

Mace frowned deeply. "Why would he need a fort around himself?"

"Aalto takes betrayal harder than most, and not because he's afraid of being hurt. He's trying to ensure that he will never betray others."

"He's still not completely over it, is he?"

Xeo shook his head sadly. "There's still one person he hasn't forgiven. And I can't force any results, you know."

"I know." Mace sighed heavily. "Where is he now?"

"Preparing for the mission, of course." The wolfman stared hard at the Council member. "He wouldn't give his word if he didn't think he could follow through on it."

15. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Hum. So Aalto is still carrying around some old baggage from the whole Bruck incident. :( That could pose a problem on this mission.

16. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    And of course the one person he has never forgiven is the guy he is stuck working with for the next few weeks.

This gets more and more interesting by the minute.

17. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    obi_ew The green muppet obviously didn't take that into consideration :mad:

PK So certain you are it is Obi-Wan, hmmmm? ;)

Here's even more intrigue! :p

18. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Chapter 6

Senator Boros had lost his patience five minutes into the meeting, and it was taking a great deal of self control not to reach out and throttle the nearest of the Supreme Chancellor's toadies. The pathetic sycophants were doing everything but kissing Valorum's feet, but there was still time left for that to happen.

Maybe. The Geloan senator surreptitiously glanced at his chrono. If those yes-men didn't shut up soon, he'd lose his opportunity...

"Thank you, Represantatives," Valorum said, rising to his feet. "I would very much like to continue, but I'm afraid I have another appointment I must attend."

Boros clenched his taloned hand into a fist and rose as well, dipping his scaled head respectfully as the elder politician approached him.

"Do not worry, Senator," Valorum said, smiling amiably. "You will have your chance to speak, and I will see to it that your issues are resolved. Speak with my assistant later today, and she will schedule another meeting."

Which of course meant that he would never get another chance, at least not in private. Boros wanted nothing more than to wipe the stupid grin off of Valorum's face. Precious hours wasted because of the old fool's inefficiency. Not trusting himself to speak, Boros simply nodded again and left the meeting room, the rich fabric of his green cloak swishing over the Senate hall's carpeted floors. Obsidian eyes focused straight ahead as he strode towards his offices, swallowing his anger until merely irritation remained. A lot could happen in four months, and because of Valorum's apparent dislike for moving things along, Boros was looking at a limited set of options. Worse yet, they were solutions of the sort that one could not just point a finger, claw, or tentacle and blame the ineffective government.

They were solutions that would start investigations, and Boros needed none of that.

The lights were off as usual in his chambers, shrouding his office and the preceding receiving room in darkness. The young assistant who took his appointments and handled other such menial tasks had once complained of the strain to his eyes, but Boros had quickly silenced him with a cold stare. Gelo was a moon with an extremely short light season, and the senator had found no reason to deny his natural affinity for darkness. His eyes fell upon the muted orange glow coming from the windows, and he tried to keep his irritation stabilized. Of course his windows would be cursed with malfunctional shades.

"They're working fine," said a voice from one of the shadowy corners. "But it was so dark I nearly broke my neck trying to get in here."

Boros sneered at the hidden figure. "As if that would be a great loss to the galaxy."

"Your loss, perhaps. I've made you a rich man."

"I was already rich. Don't think for a moment that you have anything to do with my wealth." Boros sat down at his polished wood desk, a sliver of late afternoon sunlight highlighting his orange scales. "And I can't possibly imagine how you've managed to get this far with that pathetic excuse for business sense you possess."

The figure dropped smoothly into a stiff-backed chair opposite Boros's desk. "You're agitated. Did Valorum not approve the request?"

"Valorum didn't even hear it. We conveniently ran out of time." The Geloan tapped his talons rhythmically against the desk.

"So we have a problem."

"Obviously!" Boros snarled, causing the other individual to flinch. "Bowyn's presence isn't necessarily required for trouble to start. What's the status of the workers?"

The figure frowned in thought. "There's still a lot of dissent being voiced at the monthly union meetings, but the workers are doing their jobs."

"They need to be taken care of now. That will be your responsibility as their employer."

"Mine?" The person's eyes narrowed dangerously. "I am not the only one involved in this."

"I was not one of the many incompetent morons who needed your assistance with my affairs. You came to me." He smiled, revealing rows of ne

19. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    A "first day of classes why oh why do I have to go back to classes" UP.

20. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Loved the crack about the little green muppet Jade! Too funny! I really like the Master you've created for Aalto - very unique guy. The picture of him growling just to frighten initiates was priceless. Great job and I can't wait for more!

Shaindl

21. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I liked Aalto's Master - he's quite funny and just what Aalto needs. And so the plot thickens with Boros threatening the singer! Oh, dear. Good thing he's got his Jedi entourage!!!

22. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    enter the bad guy(s)

23. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    * rubs hands together* Now it's getting good! :D

24. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Sorry about the delay! DWB, Darth School, Darth You're Not Allowed To Sleep Right Now Because You've Got Work To Do....and As The Furniture Flies :p

Shaindl - Glad you like Xeo! I wanted him to be an off-the-wall type to complement Aalto's slight stuffiness.

diane - I hope Xeo stays funny. And everyone, I think, should have a Jedi entourage [face_love]

PK - [face_devil] Definitely more than one villian.

OE - Thanks [face_blush]

25. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Chapter 7

"All I'm saying is that it must have been the will of the Force."

No response.

"One of you has to do it."

Still no response.

"Cheer up. It could be worse."

Silence.

"Coward."

Aalto's booted foot scraped along the carpeted corridor as he faltered slightly, and Xeo grinned like a lunatic, delighted by the reaction.

"I am not a coward."

"Of course not. You're just nervous, aren't you? That's understandable."

"I can't believe I have to do this. It's ridiculous."

"Would you rather be in Obi-Wan's position?"

Aalto exhaled quietly. "No."

"Like I said, it could be worse. Instead, I think this mission will be quite the learning experience."

"I've already received grooming tips from Eilia, thank you."

"She did a good job. I'm very impressed. I hardly recognized you last night." Xeo didn't need to see the face hidden under the cowl of the hood to know that his padawan was scowling.

"That's encouraging, Master."

"So why are you hiding all her hard work? Let's show the whole galaxy!" Before he had even finished the sentence, Xeo's hand flicked to the side, and Aalto's hood flew back to expose a rather annoyed face.

The young man halted his stride but resisted the urge to replace the hood. The look he shot at his master was offset by the new dye job that twisted the expression from one of annoyance to one of intense brooding. Black strands tipped with gold feathered back from his forehead and curled slightly around the collar of his shirt. He didn't entirely mind the new look ? even he was not the biggest fan of the usual padawan weedwhacker cut ? but he didn't see why it had to be such a big deal. It was just part of blending in.

As Aalto set down the large case and light travel pack he was carrying, Xeo tried to study him through the eyes of a citizen of the Republic. His apprentice looked like any other university student dressed in dark pants, with a white shirt peeking out through the neckline of the dark blue one pulled over it. His Jedi cloak was just as non-descript. He looked like anybody.

Especially since there was a padawan braid missing from behind his right ear.

Xeo held out a clawed hand, smiling gently when Aalto hesitated, knowing what the Shistavanen was asking for. The younger Jedi reached into one of the deep pockets of his loose blue shirt and pulled out a thin plait of light-brown hair. His fingers curled slightly around it as Xeo reached out.

"I wish there could have been another way," he lamented.

"This," said Xeo, carefully plucking the braid from Aalto's hand, "means everything, and yet it means nothing. Who you are has everything to do with this and at the same time nothing at all."

Aalto nodded, understanding what the older man was saying but still visibly upset at having to leave the symbol of his apprenticeship behind.

"It won't leave my side," Xeo promised, tucking it into a pouch on his utility belt. "Is it safe to say the same about the special item in currently your possession?"

Aalto looked at the large case by his feet and tilted his head in thought. "Marzik said that musicians are very attached to their instruments, so if I'm to be taken seriously as one, I have to act as one." Frowning, he concluded, "So I suppose the answer is yes."

"It does make a rather interesting sound." Xeo growled with laughter when Aalto cringed. For as long as he lived, he knew he would never forget the sight of the young man hunched over his desk, intently studying music lessons from a datapad while strumming away at the guitar in his lap. Well, not quite strumming, Xeo thought. The noise was a bit more like scratching or screeching or shrieking, but he had to admit to being amazed at the boy's diligence when practicing. Aalto improved his playing every few minutes, it seemed, and would most likely be very good by the time the mission was over. No one could accuse the boy of not being persistent with his studies. "Are the songs difficult?"

Aalto shrugged and bent down to pick up the ca

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.