main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Gimme Danger (JA--Aalto/Obi/OC) *6.22.04*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeSolo, Dec 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    "Would you rather be in Obi-Wan's position?" For some odd reason that inspired a dirty thought right at first. [face_plain] It does have me curious as to what poor Obi is having to endure for this mission. Aalto's new do sounds mighty appealing! How old is he? [face_love]

2. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Well, I, for one, am looking most forward to seeing what position Obi-Wan is in.

What? :p

I love Xeo, Jade. What a great character - quickly developing into one of my favourites. I love how he teases Aalto - can't let the kid get too serious. But for all his teasing, I suspect that he would turn into a deadly, deadly being should his Padawan be threatened, and I think he might be a rather scary looking Jedi at that point. The exchange over his braid was lovely, too. :)

Marvelous set up - I hope you'll be able to post more soon!

Shaindl

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Good, a new post. I was wondering when we'd see Aalto again. Loved the description but I also am wondering what Obi-Wan is wearing... For some reason, I picture something totally absurd and he's loving every minute of it... We shall see.

4. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    OE - I've inspired dirty thoughts! Mission Accomplished! :p Aalto and Obi-Wan are both 19.

Shaindl - You too, with the bad thoughts? I see Xeo as being very trusting of Aalto because of his padawan's maturity. But at the same time, he's also very over-protective for that same reason, because he's not sure if Aalto's maturity entirely real, or just another wall around his true feelings. Glad you like him! :)

diane - You keep giving me the funniest ideas! Which is good, since Obi-Wan isn't quite "attired" yet ;)

Sorry about the wait :( But this one is a bit longer to make up for that.

5. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Chapter 8

"It could be worse, Padawan," Qui-Gon Jinn commented as he held his cloak around him to keep it from flapping in the slight breeze.

"I can't really see how, Master, but I'll keep that in mind." Obi-Wan also struggled with his cloak, trying to keep his hood raised.

Qui-Gon stifled a laugh. The young man had made his way to the landing platform looking like some kind of spectre, and the skulking body drawn deep within the Jedi robes had drawn more than a few curious glances. Qui-Gon's more youthful side had been hard-pressed not to "accidentally" tip his padawan's hood back and expose the new look for all to see. "It's only for a short while, Padawan, and I don't think anyone in the Temple saw you."

"I hope not," Obi-Wan said miserably.

"Perhaps when you return, we can devote some time to bettering your musical skills, in case another mission like this comes along."

"Master, please. I know I can't sing. I don't think lessons are going to help."

The elder Jedi laughed deeply, the sound carrying across the landing platform to the pair of new arrivals, who gave only a glance before carrying on with their conversation. "How are things now between the two of you?"

Obi-Wan shrugged. "I haven't spoken with Aalto since that day in the training sale."

Qui-Gon watched as Xeo gesticulated wildly with his arms, obviously describing something to his apprentice. "Master Yoda said he spends most of his free time in the Archives." At a look from his padawan, he added, "I spoke to Yoda because I was concerned about you and Aalto working together. He gave you quite a beating that day."

"I deserved it. I know you don't agree, Master, but you should have seen him."

"That still doesn't excuse his behavior." Qui-Gon let go of his flapping cloak long enough to scratch at his bearded jaw.

"I'll be fine, Master. We've more or less settled things." The younger Jedi wished his master would stop worrying. He was old enough to take care of himself on a mission, even when paired with someone who made no point of hiding his dislike for Obi-Wan.

Qui-Gon smiled warmly. "I know you'll do well, Padawan."

On the other side of the platform, Xeo observed the much quieter exchange between the other pair, having finished his animated gesturing. He could barely make out a smile on Obi-Wan's shrouded face, but his squinting was unnecessary after a strong gust of wind blew the hood right off of Obi-Wan's head. Xeo nearly choked as he tried to keep from laughing. "I suppose it would be rude?" he asked Aalto.

"Go ahead. I nearly did last night."

"Eilia sure did a number on him."

"You're looking at trial number three. The first two attempts were a lot more...blinding. It took me a while to get her to tone things down a bit."

"That was nice of you. What is your ulterior motive?"

Aalto watched in amusement as Obi-Wan frantically pulled the hood of his cloak over electric blue locks of hair. "Marzik said he has technicians who handle hair, makeup, and wardrobe. I convinced Eilia to let the professionals work their magic with Kenobi."

"Bring back some holos of the finished product."

"Eilia already took some last night. She called it 'documentation.'"

"In other words, copies are already floating around the Temple."

"Pretty much."

A battered shuttle slowly descended toward the platform, the landing gear clanking and hissing as it clamped to the duracrete surface. The engines whined as if deciding whether or not to power down, but with a high-pitched sigh they remained revved, and a boarding ramp creaked its way out from beneath the access hatch. Apparently, Aalto thought as he hefted his bag and instrument case, the Temple had splurged a bit on transportation. This was traveling in style compared to the old crates they were usually given. With an encouraging slap on the back from Xeo, he made his way toward the dilapidated bucket and out of the corner of his eye spotted Obi-Wan angling in his direction. With a polite nod toward each other, the two pad

6. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Blue hair [face_laugh]

Can I be there for wardrobe fittings? [face_yummy]

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I can so picture this. Obi-Wan with electric blue hair, one white light-weight silk shirt with an open lightning zag down over his left nipple (which has been dusted with electric blue glitter) and the zag edged in tiny blue running blinky lights (very hypnotic). The rest of the shirt is relatively modest (except that it's so light you can practically see through it). The almost-skin-tight pants are heavier weight sueded silk in the same electric blue as his hair. The seams have open cut-outs in a diamond pattern with the same blinking blue lights running in a pattern up and down his legs... Suede boots and belt to match the pants. The belt's tongue is fringed and hanging down so that it moves when he does. Oh, yes movement.

And a blue blinky light in his earlobe. Yes, silk is so much easier to take off!!!

Good job. I love the ship's description - very luxurious but a bit over the top! I'm glad you have gotten back to this!! Waiting to see what Aalto is wearing....

8. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Bad Diane- straight back to the shower for me.

9. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Aw! I was hoping for long blond locks ala Velvet Goldmine! :p Nice posty anyway.

10. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Blue! I love blue! This should be an interesting trip for our two Padawans. :D Great job, Jade! I really love your OCs - very original and fully realised. :)

Hope to see more when you can manage it!

Shaindl

11. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    PK - The big fitting is today. ;)

diane - [face_laugh] Blinky blue lights! [face_laugh] Stop!

OE - But the blue hair matches his pretty blue eyes. [face_love] Or are they green? Or gray? Or blue-gray? Or blue-green? Or green-gray? Or chameleon? :p

Shaindl - [face_blush] I'm so glad you like the OCs.

Writers Blah! :_| Actually, I was sitting on this for a couple of weeks because I was too much of a coward to post it earlier. But I have a present for you all - my visualization for Aalto. :D (apologies in advance if the picture doesn't show up)

[image=http://img.atpictures.com/michaelv/michaelv012.jpg]

12. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Chapter 9

?OW!?

Hadira Yas craned her head up from her crouched position. ?Darling,? she said, her words garbled as she spoke around a mouthful of pins, ?I haven?t even started folding the fabric. I can?t possibly be hurting you with any of these pins.?

?No, not that. These sequins are terribly abrasive to my epidermis!?

The pale-skinned Twi?lek rolled her eyes as she tugged at the pant cuff she?d been inspecting. She had from the start advised against the sequins, knowing how sensitive Veeb?s skin was, but had he listened? No. Make me shine, he?d said. It was awfully hard to shine when one needed to be covered with a suit of bacta patches.

Hmmm, that was an interesting idea. Hadira filed it away for future use.

She finished folding up and pinning the cuffs and sent Veeb, along with his complaints, to her assistant Nola. The short and squat Chadra Fan tuned out the man?s high-pitched whining as she rummaged through her fabric drawers, looking for lining to stitch inside the clothes, which would protect Veeb, his epidermis, and any other fragile body parts from the scratchy sequin backs.

Hadira flopped into a recliner that conformed to her shapely figure and closed her eyes. She loved touring and loved designing costumes for Marzik?s bandmates and entourage, but really, some of the people could be downright aggravating. No matter. After all the trouble they caused, they gushed endlessly over the finished products, and Hadira was not shy about basking in their praise. The costumes were her outlet to the rest of the galaxy, and they not only made a statement about the people who wore them, they also spoke volumes about Hadira herself. Why shouldn?t she soak up a bit of the glory now and then?

Dark painted lips curved as Hadira smiled contentedly. She didn?t always need the attention. She could have been a famous designer by now, renown all over for her impeccable taste and eye for fashion. Instead, she had chosen to remain a part of Marzik Bowyn?s crazy little circus, garnering only a mention here and there in a music magazine. But it was her choice, and the enthusiasm with which Marzik wore her designs made it all worthwhile.

The Twi?lek hopped out of the recliner and stretched languidly. Marzik?s two newest recruits would be arriving soon, and she had no intention of being caught sleeping on the job.

Obi-Wan frowned at the datapad in his hand. ?I think we were supposed to turn into the previous hall, not this one.?

Aalto walked past him to the intersection just ahead. ?What color are supposed to go down next??

?Indigo.?

The gold-tipped-black-haired padawan looked down both ways of the intersection. ?This one?s purple.?

?Indigo is purple.?

?More purple than blue??

Obi-Wan was about to reply but realized he honestly didn?t know. Instead, he consulted the datapad again. ?I wish this map had the actual colors instead of just their names.?

?What color are we eventually arriving at??

?Coral, which has absolutely nothing to do with blue or purple.?

Aalto shook his head, still standing in the intersection. ?This is ridiculous,? he muttered to himself. The silver swirls on the walls were making him go cross-eyed, and as he peered into the purple abyss of the intersecting hall, he couldn?t see even a faint glow from a branching passageway. For illumination purposes, Aalto reached for the lightsaber that should have been strapped to his back, hidden by a loose jacket, but then remembered that he?d left it in his room. It felt odd, being so far away from the weapon that was his life, but it was necessary in the same way he had handed his padawan braid over to Xeo for safekeeping. He was also not entirely comfortable with the way he and Obi-Wan were currently separated from Marzik, but the ship seemed safe enough.

And anyway, it wasn?t their charge who was in dire need of aid at the moment.

?Wait, I think I figured it out.? Obi-Wan twisted the datapad around and around, lining the map up to match with the cu

13. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Finally got caught up on this one!

Hadira wrapped her arms around Obi-Wan from behind and ran her hands up his chest. ?Sorry about the groping, but it?s the best way for me to really get a sense of your build. What the - oh, just a datapad. Well, you never know with some people...Okay, that should do it. Nola!? she called to the Chadra Fan as she pressed a button on her datapad to send her assistant the measurements.

I rather like Hadira. But I must say I'm somewhat jealous of her. [face_love] :p

Michael Vartan as Aalto. Another yummy. [face_love] :D

p.s. Isn't it April fourth today? :p

14. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    What a tasty little morsel :)

15. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Ooh, can I volunteer to be Hadira's assistant? I can't sew worth a damn, but I can run my hands over...what? :D

The description of the ship made my own eyes cross. It seems like the Star Wars equivalent of a tour bus - sounds like an interesting place to be. I volunteer to be a groupie! :p Great job, Jade - looking forward to more!

Shaindl

16. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Poor Obi. Bright blue hair and called scrawny to boot! :p

17. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    At least Aalto gets to dress relatively normally. Poor Obi with the blue hair and going for gold and white (like Elvis!). Good job. Don't sit on posts so long next time...

18. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    hungry hobbit wants a new posty! :p

19. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Need more tasty treats

20. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    I've been a bad bad bad bad [insert "bad" several more times here] author, but now that it's summer (wwweeeeeee), this will get written. :) Once I, uh, tear myself away from imagining Obi-Wan in exciting costumes...so thank you all for reading! [face_love]

btw Shaindl - funny you mention wanting to be a groupie, because I when I was writing the post that comes after this one here, I suddenly thought of you. You'll see why. ;)

Chapter 10

Well, you can rock this land baby yowww
    Like a shock to the system
    I feel good, well alright
    Like a shock to the system
    Say yeah, ain't it irie

"Shock to the System" ? Billy Idol

?How do you tune this thing again??

Marzik shook his head and waved a hand. ?Put that away. We won?t need it just yet.?

Puzzled, Aalto carefully laid the guitar back in its case, wondering how he was supposed to have a music lesson without using an instrument. Marzik, however, did not explain the situation as he sat at Practice Room 314's audio console and shuffled through a stack of music discs. Each one contained an album performed by a particular group, most of which Aalto was sure he?d never heard of.

?Did you have a lot of trouble finding your way here??

?No, I was fine.? Aalto had left his room an hour before he was supposed to meet Marzik, and he had at last arrived at PR 314 with five minutes to spare.

?The layout takes a while to get used to. What you really have to do is just spend a day or two walking around the ship. That?s what I did, anyway. But I still never go anywhere without a comlink.? The older man grinned and ran a hand through his hair, pushing it back out of his face. ?How was the wardrobe fitting yesterday??

?It went well, I guess.? The Jedi shrugged. ?I don?t know anything about clothes, so I can?t say much more than that.? What he could say was that his lightsaber was once again in his possession where it belonged. He squared his shoulders slightly and could feel the metal press into the small of his back, warmed by the heat of his skin.

?Well, don?t worry. You?re in very capable hands. I?ve known Hadira since I first started in this business, and she?s never let me down.? Marzik finished with the music discs and swiveled his seat around to face Aalto. ?Okay, so we have music from the bands that you?ll be playing with. Some groups will do the same act at every stop, others will do slight variations, and some will have completely different set lists each time. And then there?s always one or two jokers who like to wait until the last minute possible to let the drifter know what?s going on.?

?Do I have to learn every song by the first stop??

?No, we made sure everyone sent in their first set lists. That way, you can concentrate on certain songs instead of slogging your way through everything. Even for an experienced musician it?s a lot, especially since we?ve only got a week before we arrive, and there are so many different styles, nuances, rhythms - well, you get the idea.?

Aalto scratched at his wrist. ?Then why don?t you want me to practice right now??

?Because,? said Marzik, handing him the music discs, ?you need to be able to hear the music before you can actually play it. Have you heard of any of those?? he asked, nodding at the discs.

Aalto glanced at the labels, which declared such names as Purple Nerfs, Nik?tai?la, Spontaneously Combusting Flamethrowers, and several that could not be pronounced by a human tongue. ?None of these - no, wait, this one sounds familiar, but I don?t think I?ve actually listened to them.? He separated a disc and held it out to Marzik.

?Chthonic! I knew you had taste!? Marzik said gleefully, snatching the disc and pushing it into one of the console?s readers. ?We?ll start with this one. Now, put down the others and pay attention.?

?Are you going to make me sing??

?Of course not! Maybe later, though. First, you have to listen.? The musician?s voice became softer, as though he were lulling someone to sleep. ?A song is not just lyrics and notes. A song

21. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Of course, Aalto would like the raw music. I bet Obi-Wan is going to HATE it!

Good job explaining about music and how to approach it. I just listen - feel, don't think... LOL.

About darn time you posted. I figured you'd dropped this one. Hopefully, you will keep it up as well as a certain furniture thread...hint, hint!!! [face_whistling]

22. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    I bet Obi-Wan is going to HATE it exactly what I was thinking Diane

23. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    Deep breath. Ok, caught up.

*distracted by all the pretty images*

Yummy Jade!

24. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Jade!

Thanks so much for coming back to this! I loved what you were doing with it and it was so different. You must be a musician - your explanation of music and how a member of a small orchestra can find their place again was right on. I used to be somewhat like that when I was in high school band - there were pieces where I didn't have to count the bars of rests to know when I had to come back in. Great job!

Shaindl

PS: And why am I now worried after your comment? :D Hope to see that next post soon!

25. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Okay I swear I posted a reply to this yesterday! [face_plain] I made some comment about you liking Billy Idol and I knew there was a reason I liked you. :p I also said something about really liking Aalto. Can't wait to see what the boys get into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.