main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Before - Legends Giver of Light - Book 1: Finding a Father in a Memory (JA; AU~Qui, Obi, Xan) *Completed 12/4/04*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMaster_Jen, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Title: Giver of Light-Book I: Finding a Father in a Memory

Summary: Separated from one another when the child was an infant, a father has come to reclaim his son from the Jedi.

Disclaimer: Star Wars is owned by Disney.

Chapter One

“Who are you?” the apprentice questioned the tall man standing before him, red lightsaber glowing brightly.

“What’s the matter, little one, don’t you remember your father?” came the sneering question from the dark Jedi.

“You aren’t my father! That’s a lie!” yelled the fifteen-year-old padawan.

The very idea of being this man’s son had him frightened to his very core.

Qui-Gin Jinn stepped between Obi-Wan and the man. From the moment he’d been made aware of Obi-Wan’s paternity, he’d known that Xanatos would someday return to claim his child. He had hoped Obi-Wan would have grown to manhood before it happened, but neither of them had been so lucky.

Xanatos powered off the lightsaber and clipped it to his belt. He moved to stand in front of the teen.

“Search your thoughts, youngling. You know my words are the truth,” Xanatos instructed. “Come, my son, join me and I will complete your training. Join me and you will possess a wealth you’ve never imagined. Leave the Jedi behind, and I will show you true power.”

“No!” the padawan insisted. “I’ll never join you!”

“You’re wasting your time here, Xanatos,” Qui-Gon stated calmly. “The boy is firm in his commitment to the Jedi Order.”

“I don’t recall asking for your opinion, Qui-Gon Jinn. Once again, you’re meddling in my life,” he stated. “That ends now, old man. The boy is my son and he’ll be coming with me!”

He glanced back at his son. “Think back, young one, search your memories.”

Qui-Gon was horrified to see his young apprentice doing exactly that. The teen had closed his eyes and was using the Force to examine his deeply buried memories. It was a technique the Jedi used often on their missions, using the Force to remember details and facts, memories that had been obscured by time. But he could not remember one instance when his apprentice had done it on a mission, and he certainly had never used it to remember the haunting image of his biological father. Qui-Gon prayed to the Force and every god he knew that the young man’s voyage through his memories would reveal nothing.

Xanatos looked on with a satisfied, evil grin splitting his handsome features. He knew exactly what the boy’s journey would reveal. Everything.

The tiny boy barely made a sound as he was lifted from his hovercrib. His small body was dwarfed by the large hands that cradled him. His bright, intelligent eyes seemed to stare right through the man holding him.

“You’re so small right now, my son. But I promise you, someday you’ll grow tall and strong and powerful. By then, I’ll have complete control of this world and together we can rule it, and perhaps the entire galaxy as father and son,” the man whispered quietly to the small baby.

Wide blue-gray eye blinked furiously as the infant desperately tried to ward off sleep. The soothing voice of his father made him drowsy.

“There’s no need to remain awake, little one. We’ll be parted soon, but when the time comes, and we’re reunited, you’ll remember every word I’ve imparted to you here today,” the man spoke; his words light and gentle so as not to startle the boy.

“You’re going to be a wealthy man one day, my little one. You’ll own and control all of Telos, just as I do now and as my father did before me. My father was the Governor of Telos. He was murdered by a Jedi Knight named Qui-Gon Jinn when I was just seventeen years old. He wasn’t a perfect man, I’ll admit that. He made many mistakes and did many things wrong, but he did not deserve to be slain in cold blood.”

The man moved across the room and sat down in a rocker chair. Moving gently to and fro, he continued his talk to his baby boy.

“He would have enjoyed you, little one. You would have been his pride and joy, his first grandson. But it was not to be,” he whispered sadly. “I’ll tell you a little secret; it’s probably for the best that my father isn’t here. He’d seek to control you for his own purposes, just as he did with me.”

The small child’s eyes began to drift shut, soothed by the sound of his father’s voice.

“I suppose I should tell you about your mother,” he said as he looked down at the baby; tears threatening to fall as he spoke of his late wife. “She was the most wonderful, caring, compassionate and thoughtful woman I’ve ever known. I learned the most important lessons in life from her. She taught me what my Jedi Master never could. She taught me to let go of my anger, my hate and my fears. She taught me to love. Then she gave me you, my very own child to cherish and adore.”

The infant seemed to sense his father’s distress and opened his eyes. Reaching out with his little fist, the child wiped away the tears before sleep claimed him again.

The man smiled through his grief.

“I really must apologize for her absence. Childbirth was much too strenuous for her body. I’ll simply tell you this; your mother loved you beyond all others in her life, beyond even her
    own life. You were her joy and her happiness in the few hours she had with you after you came into this world,” he told his son. “Now, I must prepare you for the day we will meet again, my son.”

The man closed his own eyes and placed the thumb and index finger of his right hand at each temple on the infant’s head. Channeling the Force, he used every ounce of his energy and power to imprint the memory of this one-sided conversation on his son’s brain. He also inserted a block over the memory that could only be removed by himself. All it would require was one sentence. He didn’t want his son, or the Jedi to learn the truth before he was ready.

“I want you to be good, my son. I promise we’ll see each other again,” he told the child before dropping a tender kiss on his forehead.

“Father?” Obi-Wan whispered as he opened his eyes and stared at the man.

The memory had come to him immediately, almost as if it had been there forever. He clearly remembered the tender way in which his father had held him when he was a baby. It was as clear in his mind as the man himself that now stood in front of him.

Xanatos rested his right hand on Obi-Wan’s shoulder and tenderly stroked his cheek with the other. A loving smile graced his face.

“Yes, little one, it’s me. I’m your father,” came the emotionally charged words.

He pulled the boy into his arms and held him close.

Qui-Gon couldn’t believe his eyes. He watched as his apprentice wrapped his own arms around his newfound father.

“Father, you’re…you’re here,” the young man struggled with the words.

Tears were streaming down his face. This had been a dream of his since he was a small child, growing up in the crèche. He had always wondered about his parents. Who were they? Why had they given him away? Now he was standing in his father’s tender embrace.

While softly rubbing his son’s back, the man turned his dark blue eyes towards Qui-Gon.

“We need to resolve this, Jinn, for the sake of the boy,” he said, leaving no room for argument.

Qui-Gon saw his apprentice wiping away his tears and smiling up at his father. There was a happiness he’d never seen before on Obi-Wan Kenobi’s face. Nor had he ever seen Obi-Wan’s father so serene and gentle, not even when he’d been a Jedi so long ago.

“All right Xanatos, we’ll discuss this,” Qui-Gon relented.

He would do it for Obi-wan, the boy he loved as a son. That was all he could do.

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Oh! I like it! Very dark and yet touching. I think you should expand this, it would make a great longer story. Please?

Great work! I loved the flashback with father and son. And your title drew my attention immediately!

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh that was great indeed! What a surprise! Xan as Obi's pops hehehe ;) Loved the last line though... that he'd do it for Obi... poor Qui!

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Rangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ack!!! Disturbing, dark... I love it!!!

Of course you can hardly end it there. Seems to be the begininng of a very interesting thread to be had!!

5. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Delicious! [face_devil]

But you have to make this into a full length story.

6. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Love it! Anything where Xan and Obi are close is good for me! :D Um... Where's the rest of it? What happens? Is Xan truly evil? Do he and Obi rule the galaxy? [face_love] In other words I want more! :)

7. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    VaderLVR~Thanks. A fiend of mine actually came up with the title, so I owe that to him.

Kynstar~Thank you. That's Qui-Gon alright--always so self-sacrificing. :rolleyes:

Healer-Leona~Thank you. I was in a dark and disturbing mood and this is what happened. Glad you liked it.

LukesTheMan~Thanks a bunch. Full length? I don't know. o_O

obi-ew~Thank you. I've read some great fics featuring Obi and Xan (yours) and I was inspired.

Okay, since all of you seem to want me to write full length story--[face_thinking]--I'll do it!! Ya talked me into it. Look for an update within the next few days. :)

8. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Yippee!! *There was much rejoicing* gonna do more!! [face_dancing]

9. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    I'm glad that you'll be expanding this - looks good so far.

10. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Kynstar~Rejoice away. Here's part two.

Phoenix_Reborn~Glad you enjoyed the first part. I hope you enjoy the second.

Chapter Two

Qui-Gon was worried. He didn’t like the way Obi-Wan had so quickly and easily taken to his father. That the boy could be swayed so easily did not instill much confidence in Qui-Gon.

In his experience, Xanatos Renashaii was not a man to be trifled with. At just seventeen years old, Xanatos had turned his back on the Jedi and on his master. He’d drawn his saber against Qui-Gon and he used the dark side of the Force during their fight while vowing revenge for the death of his father.

It was a betrayal that still stung Qui-Gon, twenty-one years later. Now, here was that same man, laughing and smiling with the boy he’d sired fifteen years before. There seemed to be no trace of the hate and anger he’d felt from Xanatos only hours earlier; no hint of the darkness he knew Xanatos had fallen into so many years before.

“So, Jinn, how long have you been looking after my boy?” Xanatos asked snidely as he strode confidently into the galley where Qui-Gon was sitting.

Qui-Gon lifted his blue-green eyes up from the datapad he was reading to stare at his former apprentice.

“Looking after, or training?” he asked conversationally.

Xanatos flopped down in a chair across from the man that had trained him to be a Jedi for eight years.

“You know perfectly well what I mean, old man,” he snapped, irritation coloring his tone of voice. “How long have you been Ben’s master?”

“Ben?” was Qui-Gon’s soft inquiry. He’d never heard that name before.

Xanatos couldn’t help but smile.

“Yes, Ben. That is Obi-Wan’s given name. Benjamin Renashaii. His mother was Corellian; her name was Dhalia Kenobi. When Ben was born, she called him obiwan. It’s an Old Corellian word meaning light. He was her light, and mine. Our light in the darkness,” he whispered emotionally.

If Qui-Gon was surprised by the emotion in his former student’s voice, he kept it well hidden.

“Anyway, she died and I was left to raise him on my own. To say I was ill-prepared to be a single father would be an understatement. The decision to give him to the Jedi was the hardest of my life,” he told Qui-Gon. “I knew you Jedi would be nervous about coming to Telos, so I had two of my employees pose as Ben’s parents. I didn’t want him rejected outright because of his paternity. The name Obi-Wan Kenobi is of course a combination of Dhalia’s surname and the word obiwan. It seemed fitting that as he left Telos and his father behind he should have a piece of his mother with him,” he finished.

Qui-Gon didn’t know what to say. He’d never imagined that his former student might have changed over the last twenty-one years. He genuinely seemed to care about Obi-Wan. Or at the very least, he was good at making sure people saw what he wanted them to see.

“I’ve been looking after him from almost the first moment he came to the Temple. I was drawn to him in much the same manner I had been drawn to you when you were a child,” he admitted. “As for his training, Obi-Wan became my padawan approximately two years ago, when he was almost thirteen.”

“Why wasn’t he chosen sooner!?” Xanatos asked, his tone loud and indignant.

He couldn’t fathom the fact that his son hadn’t been picked long before then. He pinned Qui-Gon with his stare, awaiting an explanation.

Qui-Gon began to squirm just the tiniest bit under Xanatos’ intense stare. Xanatos had always had the ability to make someone feel as if he was staring right through them and that was exactly how Qui-Gon felt at that moment.

“To make a long story short, Obi-Wan carried a lot of anger inside him as a child. He was almost constantly fighting with other initiates, one in particular. They got into a tussle during the last lightsaber competition before their thirteenth life-days and it cost them both a chance at being chosen,” Qui-Gon began in a matter-of-fact voice.

With a deep breath, Xanatos nodded. “Continue.”

“Both Obi-Wan and Bruck Chun ended up on a transport to Agri-Corps. I was sent along to keep an eye on the children. The ship was attacked by pirates and Obi-Wan was a great help to me during the defense of the ship and its passengers. After the incident, I re-evaluated my opinion of him. He acquitted himself quite well that day and I decided that his talents would be wasted in Agri-Corps. He was meant to be a Jedi Knight. One week later, he officially became my padawan,” he finished.

Xanatos continued to stare at his former mentor. His eyes were still blazing with fury over his son’s trip to Agri-Corps, despite his quick return.

“Ben would never have been sent away from the Jedi Temple in the first place had he been chosen sooner,” he said, the accusation clearly implied if not spoken aloud.

He blamed Qui-Gon even though nothing which had happened with Obi-Wan was his fault. But Xanatos had never been the most rational of people.

“He wasn’t ready to be chosen sooner, Xani,” Qui-Gon said softly, using the nickname he had given Xanatos when he’d been a small child.

“Sithspit!” Xanatos yelled as he practically jumped from his chair. “I’ve spent very little time with him and I can sense how powerful he is. He shines in the Force. Even you must see that!”

“Yes, he’s powerful,” Qui-Gon acknowledged. “He glows with the power of the Force. His midi-chlorian count is…”

He stopped then, realizing what he was about to reveal. “Suffice it to say, Obi-Wan will be a powerful Jedi Knight one day. Of that I have no doubt.”

Xanatos knew Qui-Gon was hiding something, and now he knew what it was. It was more than just him being against Obi-Wan knowing his father. Something about Obi-Wan’s midi-chlorian count; something about him knowing Obi-Wan’s midi-chlorian count had the older man spooked. He’d tuck that piece of information away for examination at a later date. For now, he wanted to get more details concerning his son’s life. He wanted to know everything that he’d missed.

11. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    :eek: =P~ OK... that pic juz sent me overboard!!! *dreamy sigh* Love it love it!!!
    Scruffy and somewhat long hair!!!! *Faints*

Ok...I'm all right now! *snrk*

Great chappie! Loved how Xan was upset about Obi not getting chosen earlier on ;) hehehehe Poor Xan... guess he'll have to scrounge about to get the info that Qui doesn't wanna share ;)

Awesome work :D Can't wait for more!

12. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Hum. Very interesting. [face_thinking] COuld Obi have some major importance to the future of the Force and the Jedi? And if so, what will Xan want to do about it? Great job! :)

13. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Kynstar~Yeah, that pic made me faint too. [face_laugh] I love Hugh Jackman and when I saw that pic I had to use it.

Poor Xan...guess he'll have to scrounge about to get that info that Qui doesn't want to share

Scrounge about, he will.

Glad you're liking this.

Obi-ew~Thanks for reading.

Could Obi have some major importance to the future of the Force and the Jedi?

He could indeed. o_O [face_mischief]

14. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Okay, LOVED the picture! I also liked the history behind Obi-Wan's name. This is a wonderful story! I like your characters and the flow of the story. Superb work!

15. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    VaderLVR~Thank you. Glad you liked the story behind Obi-Wan's name-I wanted it to be very touching.

Okay, LOVED the picture!

Yeah, me too. That is my absolute favorite pic of Hugh Jackman.

16. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Fascinating take on the JA story... one I think I like even better. Interesting that kQui-Gon doesn't sense any darksideness from him,still, Xan suffers from over-extended arrogance, getting all upset because Obi-Wan wasn't chosen earlier.

Looing forward to the next chapter!!

17. anekasolo

anekasolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2001
    Xanatos gives me the hibbi-gibbis. DON'T GO WITH HIM, OBI-WAN!

18. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Xanatos knew Qui-Gon was hiding something, and now he knew what it was. Something about Obi-Wan?s midi-chlorian count; something about him knowing Obi-Wan?s midi-chlorian count had the older man spooked. He?d tuck that piece of information away for examination at a later date. For now, he wanted to get more details concerning his son?s life. He wanted to know everything that he?d missed.

Ah, the plot thickens! A wonderful addition to the story. Update soon!

19. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Healer_Leona~Thank you. I never liked the character of Xan in the JA--he was too one-dimensional for me. So, I just had to play around with him a bit. Glad you like it so far.

anekasolo~Thanks for reading.

Xanatos gives me the hibbi-gibbis

Yeah, me too. But I like him a little creepy. [face_laugh]

LukesTheMan~Glad you like it.

Update soon

I plan to.

20. TraxxasJedi

TraxxasJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2004
    *eyes pop out* Oh my! never thought about that side of the story! Well I'm deffinetly looking forward to more!

21. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    TraxxasJedi~Thank you. More is on the way.

22. JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L

JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2004
    This is a very intresting. To thinkg that Xan is Obi's father and that obi-wan would give up Qui is very intresting. I realy like it keep up the good work

23. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L~Thank you. I'm glad you like it.

Chapter 3

After having spent the entire night watching his son sleep, Xanatos was now nervous as the city-planet of Coruscant was mere hours away. He hadn’t been to the Republic capital in more than twenty years; not since he left Qui-Gon and the Jedi behind. If not for Obi-Wan, he may never have returned.

“What’s wrong, Father?” came Obi-Wan’s soft, core-accented voice.

Xanatos whirled around, not having sensed his son’s approach. “You startled me, Ben,” he told the young man. “I wasn’t expecting you.”

“I noticed. I wanted to surprise you so I was shielding my presence,” he informed his father.

That statement piqued Xanatos’ interest immediately. It wasn’t unusual for such a young Jedi Padawan to be able to hide his presence in the Force, but it was highly unusual for one so young to do it successfully, or for any significant length of time. In this case, as he thought about it, Xanatos realized he hadn’t actually sensed Obi-Wan’s presence on the ship for the last few hours. That development would need further researching.

“Tell me, how long have you been able to shield yourself for such a long period of time?” Xanatos asked conversationally.

Obi-Wan shrugged. “As long as I can remember. Master Yoda had always worked with me on strengthening my shields. He told me it was important for a Jedi to be able to shield his presence and his thoughts,” he volunteered.

Xanatos wondered why Yoda himself would take on the task of teaching a child such an advanced technique. Learning to shield thoughts began at a young age, and was a common practice. However, cloaking ones Force signature wasn’t a skill that was needed often, and when it was, the duration of use was usually rather small. It was meant to give a Jedi Knight the time he/she needed to make a quick escape. If he had interpreted Obi-Wan’s words correctly, he’d been learning to completely cloak his presence in the Force since he was a child. It was yet another mystery that would require further investigation.

“Well, it seems that your skills are far beyond those of your age-mates,” he stated confidently as he clasped Obi-Wan’s shoulder.

Again, Obi-Wan shrugged. He seemed totally unaware of his own strength in the Force. Xanatos knew his son was powerful, he could feel that power radiating from the teenage boy every time he was near. The lingering question seemed to be where that strength, that strong connection to the Force came from.

“We’re preparing to land at the Temple,” Qui-Gon informed his apprentice and Xanatos.

Xanatos’ apprehension at being back at the Jedi Temple had sky-rocketed the moment they entered the atmosphere of Coruscant. He suddenly wished he still had a lightsaber in his possession. For all he knew the entire Jedi Council was waiting for them at the landing pad, just waiting to strike him down for his long ago betrayal.

“Jedi do not seek revenge, Xanatos,” Qui-Gon said from his position next to the younger man.

“Stay out of my head, Jinn,” Xanatos snapped sharply.

“Perhaps you should tighten your shields,” was the calm reply from Qui-Gon. “You’re broadcasting rather loudly.”

Xanatos turned quickly face Qui-Gon, his sapphire eyes blazing. “Perhaps you should refrain from spewing your inadequate teaching…,” He started to say, but stopped when he caught the look on Obi-Wan’s youthful face.

“This is neither the time nor the place for this discussion. I apologize for my behavior, my son,” Xanatos said to the boy.

“As do I, Padawan. I offer no excuse for my behavior,” were Qui-Gon’s quiet words to his student.

Obi-Wan accepted their apologies. “Maybe we should exit the ship, Master. I’m sure the Council is anxious for our report of the situation on Praxus.”

Both Qui-Gon and Xanatos were proud of Obi-Wan’s actions. The young man was mature beyond his years; far more mature than either his master or his father.

“You’re absolutely right, Padawan. Let’s go,” Qui-Gon said as he headed for the exit.

Obi-wan followed dutifully, but Xanatos remained stationary. His feet refused to carry him from where he stood.

“Father, aren’t you coming?” the young man asked.

Calming his nerves and clearing his mind, Xanatos slowly moved forward. “Yes son, I’m…I’m coming.”

The three of them exited the ship, Qui-Gon leading with Obi-Wan and Xanatos trailing behind. They could see Masters Yoda and Windu waiting for them at the opposite side of the Temple landing pad.

Coming to a stop in front of the two senior members of the Jedi Council, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan both bowed in respect. Behind them, Xanatos’ eyes were riveted on the two Jedi Masters. Mace Windu didn’t look any older than when Xanatos had last seen him, but Yoda was certainly showing his age. The small green Master seemed frail, and tired.

“Old and tired I may be, Xanatos, but frail I am not,” Master Yoda spoke, startling the tall man.

Xanatos, his eyes suspiciously moist, moved around Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan and came to kneel in front of the little Master. “Forgive me, Master. I am careless in my thoughts these days,” he told Yoda.

Yoda’s clawed hand moved to rest on Xanatos’ broad shoulder. “Forgive you I do, youngling,” Yoda said quietly. “Good it is to see you again, Xanatos.”

Qui-Gon was stunned at the reception his former student was getting from Yoda. The little Master almost seemed happy to see the dark-haired man. He shifted his gaze towards Mace Windu, hoping to see at least some small measure of censure where Xanatos was concerned. But he saw none.

Mace stepped forward and extended a hand towards Xanatos. The younger man stood from his kneeling position and gripped the offered hand, his nervousness having abated completely during his short exchange with Yoda.

“Welcome home, Jedi Renashaii,” Mace said, his words bringing twin looks of shock and disbelief to the faces of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Hmmm, even Xanatos is surprised at his son's talents and that Yoda would encourage such training. Interesting that he (Xan) wonders where his son's extremem powers come from. Hmmm, one can't blame Qui-Gon for wanting to know what Xanatos is up to. Xan certainly has retained some rather hard feelings of his master. Seems there's something going on behind the scenes that Qui-Gon's not aware of.

WOnder what's really going on???

Excellent post Jen!

25. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Just peeking in even though i should be working on my Gen Psych and other things. :)

Very Interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.