main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Glasgow - geek rip-off capital.

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by Lizardmonkey, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizardmonkey

Lizardmonkey Jedi Master star 2

May 21, 2002
    Out gift-shopping. OK, not naming names, but 'NonKosher Asteroid' are wanting 80 quid for a 'Prison Break' figure - this is on top of them demanding a tenner for a loose Han Solo in a baggy. 'Alia Graphic Novels' have repriced some of their peg-hogging, dust covered (give 'em a clean guys, some of us are asthmatics!)figures and ornaments, while a certain couple-owned collectible shop just along the road would have you remortgage for some of their wares. Ridiculous. Thank Cthulu for the net.

2. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    its all just coloured plastic...

except my original 1978 palitoy Death Star..... which is cardboard.... obviously much more valuable, as a lesser example of the same product is currently in Scotsmann Models for £500....

3. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    The shop you are referring to is a disgrace when it comes to pricing LM, Basic SW figures are £9.99 (Woolies sell them for £5.99)and looking at the numbers they have on the pegs not many are buying them and I don't blame 'em. My son collects Battlestar mini mates which used to sell here for £6.99 for a two pack, when they returned after selling out they were £9.99! How can they justify that? They're not selling either! lol!

4. Miso_Jace

Miso_Jace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2007
    They're all bloody ridiculous, especially 'NonKosher Asteroid' (nice moniker!), the staff are also a bunch of smug, self-impressed morons.

Is there anywhere in Glasgow that doesn't extract the urine??

5. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    Toys R Us is the cheapest by far....

but instead of getting served by fellow geeks (however smug) you get served by surly teenagers.....

6. Miso_Jace

Jun 1, 2007
    If I worked in Toys R Us, I'd be having too much fun with the stock to be surly (although given I am not a teenager, so perhaps that is the crucial variable).

That having been said, I'd probably be sacked on the first day for pedalling a tricycle around the store wearing a Darth Vader voice changer helmet & foam hulk fists with hula hoops around my neck.

7. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Now that would be a disturbing sight! :p

8. Lizardmonkey

May 21, 2002
    MJ, you've hit the nail on the head with the 'Asteroid' workers - I've probably spent the price of a hospital for an African village in there, over the years. I am polite to most of the staff - I say "Thankyou!" if I've been looking around and left without buying (all the fecking time these days), but is there a flicker of recognition? The whiff of 10% off? No, none of it - and I'm not the type of customer who hangs around the front desk and loudly holds court on 'Family Guy Blue Harvest' or how much I can't wait to see 'Dark Knight'. Or the type - you've seen these surely - who shuffle in looking like bedbound serial killers with an aversion to soap and Andrex who bulk buy comics, rasping in wet, throaty tones about the condition of their "package". Their diminutive Asian (not that there's anything wrong with that) manager was okay until he got promoted and started following folk around the shop and making the others straighten figures on the pegs and comics on the shelves... and loudly "tutting" when you touched anything.
    What happened to the ponytailed acid-casualty who used to sit right at the back, in the comics section? More like him please!
    Maybe being subject to these pompous arse-class geek customers is what they get... that kind of thing is more common in 'Alias' comics though. A blend of 'Ahktorrrs' from the Tron and pomp-nerds who'll loudly describe marathon gaming parties "We'll, eh, have three consoles going at once in one room... of course there's a cocktail fountain." and Indiana Jones 4 as if they're the only people it happens to/ have seen it. Mutter, grumble, etc... it's either that or clinical Toys 'R' Us or the daylight-robbing Fred and Rose West-alikes who run Scotsmann's Models.

9. Miso_Jace

Jun 1, 2007
    [face_laugh] they scare the **** out of me!

10. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    och the wee middle aged woamn at Scottsman is always friendly to me, though I rarely ever buy anything....

I'm finding the young guy (their son?) who minds shop these days to be much less satisfactory...

11. Lizardmonkey

May 21, 2002
    Conceded, Mr. D.D! That was a cheap jibe at the woman - who, in the mid nineties, was a superior 'SW' collectables dealer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.