main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Glasgow Odeon Closure

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by MrDankDonk, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    I'm rather sad today.

Just heard that the Glasgow city centre Odeon cinema is to be closed.

This is a great shame, as it is the last of the old-style cinemas in the area..........

a big old victorian heap of a building, with a classic corner entrance, and a history that stretches back to some right mad stuff ?for instance, it was the only venue The Beatles ever played in Glasgow.

Personally, it was also where I went as a kid to see the original trilogy, and almost every other blockbuster since.
    But not no more. Shutting for good this summer.

I'll squeeze in a couple more looks at The Two Towers to say farewell to the dear old place....

:_|

2. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
  3. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    It is indeed very sad, when I think of all the fun and good times I had there........wait a minute

Oh Glasgow not Grimsby, thats ok then, I don't care

4. Daithi-Bhoy

Daithi-Bhoy Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2003
    This is a right sair yin.
    My dad took me and my wee brother to see Star Wars in that very pictures when it came out. We?d already read the comics (with the free cardboard X-Wing and TiIE fighter) so we knew the story, but seeing it on the big screen was ?kin magic.
    I went for a single, and ended up getting lost in a big fire escape/ white spiral staircse bit... or maybe ah dreamt that eftar a night oan the Guinness.
    Anyway, when Phantom Menace came out, I took my eldest son, who was 3 at the time, to see it in the same place ma da took me to see Star Wars.. and his face lit up the same way when the searchlights came up and the music started.

5. Stoney-Wan-Kenobi

Stoney-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2002
    What!??! The one on Renfield Street? :_|

I saw The Fugitive there. Twice. And A Clockwork Orange. And I dunno how many kids films when I was wee... (My aunt took me and my brother to see All Dogs Go To Heaven at the Odeon I seem to recall...) Me and my ex-boyfriend had our first snog there too, waiting for Plunkett and McLean to start (rotten film, but good memories).

I feel sad now... :(

6. PadawanSDM

PadawanSDM Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2000
    Like DD, I saw every SW film there for the first time - became something of a tradition. Even went to the midnight showing of AOTC there.

A sad day indeed but to be honest I thought it lost a lot of character when it went from a 3 screen to a 6 screen cinema and screen 1 was basically halved in 2.

PS - Hello everyone!

7. Stoney-Wan-Kenobi

Stoney-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2002
    They're planning to shut the South Clerk Street Odeon in Edinburgh too :(

8. PadawanSDM

PadawanSDM Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2000
    And your point is? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.