main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Global Climate Change

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, May 7, 2014.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm not talking about the leaders, I'm talking about the majority of the country, and the majority of most countries, who aren't willing to go big on climate change yet.

2. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
  3. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Part of me wants to ask, what book? The rest of me doesn't want to read it, I already know things are bad.

Also 2050, that's 29 years from now. With any luck I'll still be alive and my kid's will just be hitting their prime. How can people not want to do everything we can to at least try to fix this problem? What is our problem?
    I'm starting to feel this way now. Which is really surprising considering how much I loved to eat meat for the first 30ish years of my life.

So, I give in...what book?

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Future We Choose: The Stubborn Optimist’s Guide to the Climate Crisis by Christiana Figueres and Tom Rivett-Carnac

I also just got The Uninhabitable Earth by David Wallace-Wells off hold, but I don’t know how good it’s going to be for my anxiety levels.

Runjedirun likes this.
  5. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Well if something about Climate Change becomes good for your anxiety levels I want to be the first to know!

Rew, Juliet316 , blackmyron and 2 others like this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't know if children becoming haughty ***holes qualifies as optimistic.

Without killing animals for food, humanity would not have survived, homo sapiens would not have come into existence in the first place, and we certainly wouldn't have developed enough intelligence to understand the concept of barbarism. Hopefully adults will point this out to arrogant children.

Vaderize03, mnjedi and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Our ancestors killing a wooly mammoth once a year or so, sure, just like using oxen to pull plows (or doing what my great grandfather did and using his own kids to pull the plow)—certainly we could recognize that as necessary for survival then but a practice we should evolve from?

Nothing positive about the animal agriculture industry as it exists now, and “it keeps people from being hungry” won’t be able to be used as alternatives like lab-grown meat become available (they are already in progress).

8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    If Joe Manchin blocks Biden climate action fighting plans, would that be the end of the world or would it just be harder and find other ways to work around if?

I do my part to fight climate change and plant 20 trees a month.

9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Every year of delay in making significant progress makes mitigation more difficult, but there's no hard cutoff date for guaranteeing the end of the world as far as I know.

10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    And in august I planted about 80 trees in Vancouver bc

Rew likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
  12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    NYT article on the final melting and disappearance of Kilimanjaro's glaciers features once again the disproportionate effect of climate change on the world's poorest people who contribute the least to anthropogenic carbon forcing.

There was also an article on San Diego's relative water independence. It really reiterates California's desperate continuing need for negative population growth. There isn't much more water to be squeezed out of conservation in some parts of California. It reminded me of Dune. The entire state needs to build itself a stillsuit to reclaim every last liter of water from wherever (including graywater and sewage).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Vaderize03 and blackmyron like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So I was bored and had the time. If deforestation rates and tree planting rates were to continue at the same pace they are at now we won’t have anymore trees by the year 2255.

Something else I looked up the weight of all plastic in the ocean will exceed that of the weight of all fish in 2050.

Fun times.

14. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Don’t worry, a virus far more lethal than Covid will wipe us all out long before then. The Earth is not about to let itself be destroyed by the likes of human beings.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Man, you're all promises and then let downs

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There is no intent behind processes such as natural selection. The massive rock we're standing on has no more ability to resist anthropogenic ecocide than it has the ability to deflect incoming asteroids of sufficient size. The facts of physics and biology will certainly doom our species, sooner rather than later at this rate, but we'll take a lot down with us and it seems like the main culprit will be an unlivable climate. Going by history, there has never been a single disease that has come close to wiping out humanity. Even the indigenous peoples of the Americas likely would have recovered from the deluge of multiple Old World plagues if not for European conquest, enslavement, and genocide. I mean this sincerely, what is your basis for your pronouncement?

mnjedi and CT-867-5309 like this.
  17. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Dude's been staring into the abyss for a year and a half.

Rew and Vaderize03 like this.
  18. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Can’t I just make a pissy comment after a really busy day at the hospital without being psychoanalyzed?

Asking sincerely as I genuinely respect you. Obviously I don’t believe nature actually has a consciousness or any nonsense like that; my point is, at the rate we’re destroying the environment, we may encounter a highly lethal disease that knocks the human race below the genetic threshold needed for our species to survive. Ebola would’ve done the job had it been easier to transmit.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But it wasn't. Not even close. I asked because I remember this being your thing even pre-COVID-- "The Virus." I wasn't trying to psychoanalyze you. The idea that a zoonotic virus will wipe out our species doesn't seem to have much scientific basis other than hypotheticals. I'm not completely discounting the possibility; certainly there have been other species, like Tasmanian devils, under threat from communicable disease (in their case a transmissible cancer). I just don't see how it's an inevitability or a natural defense mechanism.

20. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    It wasn't, but it could've been. While the chances of a highly lethal virus that destroys 99% of the human population is small (although I'm sure we could create one if we were so inclined), the more we disrupt environments that we didn't co-evolve with (like the jungle in the Congo where we first encountered Ebola), the more likely it is that we encounter a zoonosis that is both highly transmissible and highly lethal. When you say "But it wasn't", the only reason for that was lack of airborne spread; the Ebola Zaire strain killed 9/10 people. Had it been airborne, it would've been catastrophic. Not extinction-causing, but billions dead is pretty awful.

As a physician, I probably fear this more given my education and training on the subject compared to those outside the field. I also worry about whether or not humanity would be able to regroup after a highly lethal pandemic. Given our behavior during a not-as-lethal one, I'm not very optimistic.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    My biggest fear is more directly related to climate: that water and energy access become hard limits on global food production and as agriculture comes under more and more duress from climate change and short term global population growth - there will be a major collapse in the food supply that causes mass starvation. In those conditions of course disease will spread more readily among distressed populations. It's possible we will see some of this calamity in my lifetime, but I hope not. There's some real upside to dying soon. Every annual 1% we add to the human population is another blow to sustainability.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So, can't we just selectively boycott the oil companies that are pushing the anti-climate agenda? Yeah I'm sure they're all doing it, but let's say for example Shell stops donating to Republicans. So then we start buying gas from Shell to the exclusion of their competitors, and that should incentivize the the oil industry to quit obstructing climate legislation, right? Yeah, we'd still be burning fossil fuels for the time being, but it's going to take time to wean ourselves off them overnight anyway, and at least this way we might be able to do some good.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Honestly with how many companies are setting goals of no more gas cars by 2030 or so. It’s only a matter of time before gas stations start to go the way of the dodo. Gonna take a long time. Now what would be a real game changer is a cheap enough alternative to plastic.

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    You really want to replace our private and public petrol-powered fleet with electric, then we need a massive expansion of nuclear power. That is the only short term bridge to some other long term scalable non carbon-emitting energy tech and carbon sequestration, if such things are really even plausible.

Rew, Cynda, Lowbacca_1977 and 2 others like this.
  25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I think we need more public transportation and less cars both gas and electric. But I live in DC where 60% of our Metro cars have been taken out of service because they derail. Metro cars that came into service in 2017. Metro has been riddled with problems forever. I avoided taking it to Wizards games with my son during the 2010's because cars were getting stuck in tunnels and filling up with smoke. I remember telling my dad I would be the first person to panic in a subway car filling up with smoke and he said "You'd have a right to panic.".

I don't know if they always use cheap incompetent contractors or what, but subways are not new. Why can't we get this right?