main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Global Climate Change

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, May 7, 2014.

1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Wonder how they’ll feel about Canada building a wall to keep all the American climate refugees out. Parts of the US are going to become uninhabitable by 2100 if we don’t move the needle, so the need to flee north is a likely possibility.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  2. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    If it gets to that point they’ll do to Canada what Russia is doing to Ukraine.

3. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Probably sooner that that given the water levels in many western reservoirs, particularly lakes Powell and Mead.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    If the MAGA crowd is in charge, then absolutely.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Alaska

Lady Mary likes this.
  6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I agree. I actually depicted the United States conquering most of Canada in my novel, along with China conquering Mongolia and Siberia and Russia conquering Scandinavia. However, this was not permanent in that the Vefkelnin humans of the galaxy use their magic and technology to both lower the sea levels and restore a 1780s climate. Yet they state that they will not do so again, meaning that if the humans of Earth endanger the environment again, they will only accept them as refugees.

Anyhow, my point is that there is going to be a massive movement of climate refugees to the northern parts of the globe. Apparently, the best place to live in South America will be the southern tip of the continent, and I can't imagine that most people on that continent could fit down there.

As to Canada, there has been some speculation from YouTubers that the U.S. would prefer to conquer mostly central Canada (where the oil is). It's possible that British Columbia could become its own country with ties to East Asian countries. As it is, Norway and Sweden are two of the best countries in the world for multiple reasons. But the fact that their land is rising will make them appealing to many refugees.

At any rate, this goes to show how stupid the Republican maniacs in the U.S. are. They're obsessed with banning abortion when what the human race really ought to consider besides reducing fossil fuel emissions is actually increasing birth control. This planet was meant meant to support more than 7 billion people.

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    You know the entire world’s population could live in Texas at a population density roughly the same as New York City. Organized well the planet is able to sustain a lot more than 7 billion people.

Over population will most likely never be a problem. Any country that has reached a certain level of technology and wealth has seen its population growth plateau or actually drop within two generations. Look at Europe.

I keep reading comments about this novel. How do we read it?

Alpha-Red and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s currently not the number of people that’s the problem. It’s the type and scale of resources that many people consume - due largely to the nature of dominant global energy systems - that’s the problem. This is important to understand, lest we fall into unfairly scapegoating large families in the Global South.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  9. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I’ll send you a link after we get out of this movie.

Right now, I’m actually concerned and curious about how this iceberg situation will affect sea level rise in 2 or 3 years.

10. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I actually believe in climate change/ global warming because the Bible affirms it:

“Then the fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, causing it to scorch everyone with its fire. Everyone was burned by this blast of heat, and they cursed the name of God, who had control over all these plagues. They did not repent of their sins and turn to God and give him glory.” (Revelation 16:8-9, NLT)

11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Well, there's an argument to be made that Genesis depicts God telling Noah and his family an important truth: that he personally will never again destroy the earth, but the implication is that humankind can do so if they do not take care of the planet. Of course, I take most things symbolically in the Bible. I believe Revelation is about the Romans persecuting the early Christians. But that's another kettle of fish. If we were to analyze Revelation and the contradictions in the Bible, we'd be here all night. It's important to note that Revelation was written in bad Greek, and there have been numerous analyses about the disputes as to whether the Beast's number is 666 or 616 or something else.

I personally believe that the best biblically-inspired film is the fantasy film Noah (2014), which depicts Noah as obsessed with taking care of the Earth in contrast to the Dominionist Tubal-Cain, a violent, tool-making warlord who wants to survive the Flood and tempt Noah's middle son, Ham. There's lots of food for thought in that movie. Much like the 1996 mini-series Gulliver's Travels, it is a fantasy that makes one contemplate the virtues and vices of human nature. Unfortunately, most of our leaders are like Tubal-Cain in that they see the Earth as an assortment of resources to arrogantly exploit rather than something to take care of in humility.

12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I am a Biblical Literalist till its obvious its symbolic like the Red Dragon in Revelation. I believe its possible man’s actions could summon the angel in Revelation 16:8-9, a judgement for being bad caretakers and stewards of the planet, “be fruitful and multiply, and subdue the Earth.”
    Revelation is indeed a debated book, it almost t didn’t make the canon, but I believe its inspired like the rest of Scripture, God breathed (2 Timothy 3:16).
    I do wonder at why such belief seems strange to people when my Muslim friends feel the same about the Quran.

13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, this thread sure took a turn.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  14. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    If you just look at this planet you'll find endless evidence of cataclysm and destruction, and of major global changes. Humanity has been around for 150,000 years. We've seen some ****, and in true human fashion, completely forget about it 2 minutes later.

The Mayans spoke of how we are currently in the 5th world. That it had been created and destroyed 4 times before this one. Christianity only seems to remember or care about the last one. The one where the flood destroyed Atlantis. Or wait, maybe I'm confusing things.

15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Current global warming isn't due to the sun emitting more heat (we know for a fact that it's hasn't been doing that), it's because of an increased greenhouse effect.

16. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I think its interesting how there are a lot movies and anime that have earth being uninhabitable:

After Earth -Will Smith
    Gundam Unicorn
    Red Planet -Val Kilmer
    Alien Resurrection
    Godzilla Netflix Anime Trilogy
    etc.

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    On the topic of the environment and global warming, sitting at work between two different flavors of conservatives is sometimes weird - on one side of me, a Muskite who constantly waxes enthusiastically about space flight and uploading consciousness to computers who scornfully talks about how it was hotter 5 million years ago and anyways his car isn't making the world warmer, and on the other side of me a religious conservative who believes it is part of God's plan and you should be focused on the next life instead of worrying about this one.

18. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Nothing to see here folks, just 95+ degrees on May 21st. 3 consecutive 90+ days in May, record highs for two weekends in row for me. Last weekend in Oklahoma this weekend in VA. I'm sure it's nothing.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And a couple of dumbasses on the social media feed of a local meteorologist, are posting **** like “but there was a heat wave 75 years ago in May so climate change isn’t real!”

Count Yubnub and blackmyron like this.
  20. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Let's not talk about how, on such small scales of climate change, we're talking in terms of variance of the probability of weather events... We're doing a better job of destroying our environment in many, many other ways, and a shift of 1C in temperatures is NOT how we've already eliminated half of the species that used to share this planet with homo sapiens sapiens...

21. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Just finished reading a book called Hurricane Lizards and Plastic Squid. A book about the biology of climate change how it effects biological communities and what different species are doing in response to it. It functions as more of a broad overview rather than focusing in on any particular facet but I thought it was worth the read.

Runjedirun and Vaderize03 like this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  23. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

I'm going to be interested to see how this turns out. Brazil really needs different leadership, since Bolsonaro has not only treated the Brazilian people horribly, but also the forests of Brazil. What Brazil needs is someone who will not allow companies to tear down the Amazon rainforest, among other things.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  25. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article264087526.html

Scientists are not sure why the Earth had its shortest day in June. Apparently, melting glaciers, winds, ocean circulation, earthquakes, and/or the Chandler Wobble.

Now, I believe this sucks. I wish we had longer days. The thing I hate the most about climate change is the warmer weather, since I'm a fan of cold and cool weather. I particularly enjoyed this lsat spring being so cool and rainy. I will miss that. I dread heat. It's bad for my allergies.

Thena likes this.