main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Glossary for Newbies

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    :D Finally, there is our new glossary for WNU. After a long long time, the old glossary of SotS is updated. :D

I want to thank Son of the Suns, the author of the old glossary, very much for his glossary and his help. Thank you, SotS. :)

In the meaning of the old glossary I wanted to keep the feeling and just adapted some things, so the newbies will have an easier first step to the big JC and FF. That's why it could be that there are some things left. But the important thing is not to overextend the newbies. That's why I have put out all members names and old or not often used terms. Plus I devided it into two parts, abbreviations and explanations.
    If there are forumologists around, please take a look at SotS's "Glossary - 'Welcome' Edition".

So, now I just want to give you three good links, which I found during my work, and want to quit writing boring introductions. ;)
    First the The Margaritaville Yellow Pages, second the FAQ and for all common internet abbreviations www.urbandictionary.com.

And now... Enjoy the new glossary! :)

[b][color=darkblue]Abbreviations:[/color][/b]

[hr][color=darkblue][b]0[/b][/color]
    [b]3NS[/b]: Abbreviation for the Revenge of the Sith (Non Spoilers) forum.
    [b]3SA[/b]: It means the RotS (Spoiler Allowed) forum, it was created when the title wasn't announced: Episode 3 Spoiler Allowed.
    [color=darkblue][b]A[/b][/color]
    [b]AC[/b]: Advisory Council
    [b]admin[/b]: Abbreviation for administrator. Rarely also used for moderators or managers.
    [b]AFAIK[/b]: Rarely used abbreviation for "As far as I know".
    [b]AHBY[/b]: Abbreviation for "All Hail Blue Yoda", a phrase used by members of the Blue Yoda Society.
    [b]AIM[/b]: Acronym for "AOL Instant Messenger", an instant messaging service used by many JCers.
    [b]ANH[/b]: Commonly used abbreviation for the movie [i]Episode IV: A New Hope[/i].
    [b]AotC[/b]: Commonly used abbreviation for the movie [i]Episode II: Attack of the Clones[/i].
    [b]ASAP[/b]: As soon as possible
    [b]ATB:[/b] Around the Boards
    [b]atm[/b]: At the moment
    [b]ATN[/b]: Active Topic Notification
    [b]AU[/b]: Abbreviation for "Alternate Universe". This abbreviation is used mostly in [link=http://boards.theforce.net/default.asp?cat=10051]Fan Fiction[/link].
    [color=darkblue][b]B[/b][/color]
    [b]BTW[/b]: Commonly used abbreviation for "By the way".
    [color=darkblue][b]C[/b][/color]
    [b]Comms[/b]: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Communications/b10006/]Communications[/link]
    [b]CR[/b]: Chapter Representative
    [b]CT[/b]: Classic Trilogy also named OT
    [b]CW[/b]: An abbreviation referring to the [i]Clone Wars[/i] animated series.
    [color=darkblue][b]E[/b][/color]
    [b]Ep1, Ep2, Ep3[/b]: Commonly used abbreviation for the movies [i]Episode I[/i] [i]Episode II[/i] and [i]Episode III[/i] and so on.
    [b]ESB[/b]: See "TESB".
    [b]ETA[/b]: Edited To Add
    [b]EU[/b]: Expanded Universe
    [color=darkblue][b]F[/b][/color]
    [b]FAQ[/b]: Abbreviation for "Frequently Asked Questions". There are two FAQ. The [link=http://boards.theforce.net/help]IGN FAQ[/link] for our forum and the [link=http://www.theforce.net/faq.asp]TFN FAQ[/link].
    [b]FF[/b]: Fan Force or once also used as an abbreviation for [link=http://filmforce.ign.com]IGN FilmForce[/link], a site founded by members of the TF.N staff. But it is more known for FanForce.
    [b]FF.N[/b]: At the Fan Fiction boards, this is an abbreviation for [link=http://www.fanfiction.net/]Fan Fiction.net[/link], a popular archive that seems to be down more often than it's up.
    [b]FG[/b]: Focus Group
    [b]FTW[/b]: For The Win
    [color=darkblue][b]G[/b][/color]
    [b]GFFA[/b]: Galaxy Far Far Away
    [b]GL[/b]: The abbreviated name for [i]George Lucas[/i], the man who created Star Wars.
    [b]G

2. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002

[b][color=darkblue]Explanations: A-L[/color][/b]

[hr]
    [hr][color=darkblue][b]0[/b][/color]
    [hr]
    [b]42[/b]: The answer to life, the universe and everything. It's from the book "[i]Hitchhikers Guide Through The Galaxy[/i]".

[hr][color=darkblue][b]A[/b][/color]
    [hr]
    [b]active topic list[/b]: This option sorts topics on the main board index by last reply date added, in descending order. This causes a topic to be pushed up higher on the index when a new reply is added to it.

[b]active topic notification[/b]: An IGN option allowing a poster to be notified via email or ICQ of new replies of a thread. Sometimes there are problems with ATN.

[b]administrator[/b]: An administrator (admin) is one of the highest-ranking forum leaders. There are three kinds of admins: Head Admin, Communications Admin and Technical Admin.

[b]Advisory Council[/b]: On UBB, this was the JC Advisory Council, the private forum in which administrators and authorised members discussed forum policies. This forum was removed in the move to Snowboard, but a new Advisory Council was created recently, comprised of a new group of members. Then the AC was renamed as Focus Group with a new structure. But it was put down again.

[b]alias[/b]: A secondary username for a member.

[b]announcements[/b]: Special messages posted by mods in the header. In the "Golden Age", there was a forum named 'announcements' where these messages were posted. It was later replaced with an announcements feature that can be seen in the header. In late 2000, a [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Announcements/b10182/]second announcements[/link] board was created. But in 2007 a new board got created which is the latest version and which includes [link=http://boards.theforce.net/rules_announcements/b10719/p1]Rules and Announcements[/link] (hence the name).

[b]archive[/b]: A forum-like area in which topics are archived. Currently, UBB archives can be accessed in the new [link=http://www1.theforce.net/JC_Archives/] The Jedi Council Archives[/link]

[b]archived thread[/b]: A thread that has been preserved in an archive. Archived threads are read-only.

[b]Around the Boards:[/b] Topic about suggesting various interesting threads, games and boards. It?s posted every other week in Comms.

[b]Auto pruning[/b]: Automatic deletion of threads after a certain amount of time.

[hr][color=darkblue][b]B[/b][/color]
    [hr]
    [b]BAH![/b]: A humorous phrase used to express anger or dislike towards something, as in now defunct thread "Sex??? BAH!!!" or the former "Bah, newbies!".

[b]baiting[/b]: Knowingly posting things that will anger another user.

[b]banning[/b]: The act of temporarily or permanently taking away a person's posting privileges. Bans are of two types: name bans (the person cannot post with that name), and IP bans (the person may not be able to post with that computer). Only administrators, managers and moderators can ban people. Normally people get first a warning, then a name/normal ban and as the last thing an IP ban. Instructions for banned users can be found [link=http://boards.theforce.net/rules_announcements/b10719/27141392/p1/?0]here[/link].

[b]bashers[/b]: A group of members who feel the new SW movies could have been better made. Although individual bashers may either like or dislike the movies as a whole, all bashers agree that certain elements of the movies could have been improved. But there are also bashers for all SW movies.

[b]bitter ex-Mod[/b]: A phenomenon frequently observed in comms, when a former moderator/manager/admin picks fights with current administration.

[b]Black Friday[/b]: September 24, 1999, the day in which the "Slackergate" scandal began.

[b]blank thread[/b]: A thread which appears without a title in the topic listing. Some blank threads appear accidentally, while others are posted intentionally.

[b]board[/b]: A site which includes discussion forums, such as the JC. Since the move to Snowboard, forums have been referred to as boards. There is no clear definition of forum and board. It depends on the

3. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002

[b][color=darkblue]Explanations: M-Z[/color][/b]

[hr]
    [hr][color=darkblue][b]M[/b][/color]
    [hr]
    [b]manager[/b]: A forum leader who manages the board and can promote members to moderator.

[b]Markup Codes[/b]: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/help/Faqs.aspx#htmlcodes]MUCs[/link] are the alternative to HTML, which is disabled at the whole JC for normal user. Only Managers and Admins can use HTML. You can try and test MUCs [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Welcome_New_Users/b10181/5092339/?2452]here[/link].

[b]member[/b]: Everyone registered in the JC.

[b]"Member Update"[/b]: A series of threads that list a large amount of members and their post counts. The first MU is [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=4464394]Member Update: Attack of the Posts (10/23/01)[/link]. Now there doesn't exist an updated MU.

[b]midbie[/b]: Nickname for a member who is neither a newbie or an oldbie.

[b]Miscellaneous[/b]: The original name of the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10008]Your JC Community[/link] forum. That explains the various topics posted there.

[b]ModSquad[/b]: The private board for mods, managers and admins of the JC to speak about issues regarding the JC. Short term: MS

[b]ModSquad Update[/b]: A regulary new created thread in [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Communications/b10006]Communications[/link] to let all members know what is going on in the MS.

[b]Mod[/b]: A generic term referring to moderators, managers and admins. At the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/rules_announcements/b10719/27141411/p1/?0]TFN Jedi Council Forums Staff Architecture[/link] you can find all current mods.

[b]Moderator[/b]: Moderators are members that have been newly chosen to moderate a specific Forum. After three months they are promoted managers.

[b]Moved Threads[/b]: These were threads that had been moved by an administrator from one forum to another, more appropriate one.

[hr][color=darkblue][b]N[/b][/color]
    [hr]
    [b]Name Game[/b]: A game in which you must post a name or word starting with the last letter of the previous name or word. This game has become really popular in the JC and FF.

[b]newbie[/b]: A nickname for a new member. Sometimes also called N00b.

[hr][color=darkblue][b]O[/b][/color]
    [hr]
    [b]Old Folks Home[/b]: The private board for RSAs and GSAs to speak about issues regarding the FF. Short term: OFH

[b]oldbie[/b]: A nickname for a member who has been in the JC and/or FF for a long time.

[hr][color=darkblue][b]P[/b][/color]
    [hr]
    [b]Philip Wise[/b]: Like Joshua Griffin, owner of TFN and the JC/FF.

[b]post[/b]: A reply to a thread or the first message in a new thread.

[b]post count[/b]: The number of posts that a member has made. The post count appears in a member's profile.

[b]post notification[/b]: Notification you can get, if a certain person is posting.

[b]private board[/b]: Private boards are further boards which can't be seen on the normal board listing. Most of the private boards are for mods, but there are a few where you can register as normal user as well like the 3NS.

[b]private message[/b]: Messages that are sent privately through an board feature. This feature is an alternative to email. Messages cannot be erased, though there are plans to add some features like deleting PMs. Sending PMs containing flaming and/or overtly offensive material can result in banning. The rules of the JC apply to private messages as well as public messages.

[b]pruning[/b]: An automatic deletion of threads after a certain amount of time. Auto-pruning can be turned off in the forums.

[hr][color=darkblue][b]R[/b][/color]
    [hr]
    [b]redundant thread[/b]: A topic that has been discussed ad nauseum or posted a short time before.

[b]Royal Handmaiden Society[/b]: A group of members who greatly admire the handmaidens featured in TPM and the actresses who played them. Short RHS.

[b]RSA[/b] or [b]Regional Support Administrator[/b]: The RSA's manage and moderate geographically organized forums of the FF.

[hr][color=darkblue][b]S[/b][/c

4. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Good job Skiara. Nice revisions.

5. quigon70

quigon70 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2000
    duct tape: The roll of tape made even more popular. It has a light side, and a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together.

you didn't need to take jay out of thay one. jay taught me about duct tape

:tape

duct tape rules!

6. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    =D= Great Job! :)

7. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
  8. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Very good Sabine.

Although you only put in thje BYS and the DLC. There's also the LS, the Jedi Outcasts, the Shadow Sith Army and Shinjo's house of Weird People.

9. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Great work, Sabine! :)

10. Xanatos90

Xanatos90 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2003
    This is good, even for the Oldies who have forgotten/never knew in the first place.

11. alne6gri0wa

alne6gri0wa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2005
    **wonders why QG70 says I taught about duct tape**

Skiara, you forgot +1!

+1 - the only true phrase on the JC, at last count the boards have nearly 18 million cleverly disguised +1's.

JAy

12. Luke_Landwalker

Luke_Landwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2005
    I bow before you.

13. quigon70

quigon70 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2000
    no, alne6gri0wa, when I mean Jay, i mean Jay-The Duct Tape Master http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=223700
    at another star wars forum, my love of duct tape, and my stuggle to defeat the pink elephants began

:tape

duct tape rules!

14. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    Sorry I didn't respond sooner, my computer was giving me a little trouble. I PM'd Raven, so this should be put up in the forum header soon, hopefully. Again, it looks great, awesome job!

15. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    +1 - the only true phrase on the JC, at last count the boards have nearly 18 million cleverly disguised +1's.

Stealing my ideas, are we? :p

16. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    GO THE DUCT TAPE!...my dads a welder!...frist time i heard that phrase i burst out laughing!...love it!...does anyone know how i can read a PM sent to me?[face_blush]

17. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    Its ok!...i worked it out!...don't panic!...stop panicing-...
    sit down- no!- grasp the computer table if you want!-just stop pana-!...no! don't scream!- SIT DOWN!...*Cazz notices everybody giving her weird looks* ahem...hardly none of my friends are SW mad...it kind of gets bottled up and...ka-boom! sadly you had to witness that8-} o_O O:) [face_blush] :p ;) [face_alien_1] Gees i love these things!:)

18. Three-Eight

Three-Eight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    =D= Wow... Good job!

19. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Great job!

What does "tl,dr" mean? I didn't see it on the list.

[face_blush]

20. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    For future reference, it means: "Too long, didn't read" :)

21. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Great, thank you!

I edited that in for you Skiara.

:)

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks. It was really left there. ;)

23. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    I don't get the S.I.T.H abbrieviation. Can someone elaborate on it? Everyone who has 1000 posts is S.I.T.H?

24. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Yes, but it is a really old term.

25. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    Oh, okay. Thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.