main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    TV screens in your eyes

But you still need data glasses. If I ever thought there was something that would replace smart phones and computers in general I figured data glasses. Unless they can create a hassle free contact lense, it's not gonna happen.

2. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Unless there are a total of 9136 scientists in the world, there's more than one who doubts AGW.

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

I'm just going to make that my new Cover Photo on Facebook.

Juliet316 and VadersLaMent like this.
  5. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 28, 2006
    That image is horrible for so many reasons. Firstly, the article says only 1 scientist doubts human-caused climate change, while the infographic is only about papers published in a one year time span, and only cites one instance where it was REFUTED. Incidentally, for a paper refuting it to be published, that means that the author, as well as the peer reviewers, thought the science in it was solid enough to be published. Thats already greater than one. Plus, all publications does not equate to a poll of all scientists, and finally, that doesn't cover scientists in other fields.

There's a ton of qualifiers missing for this to be a remotely reasonable statement, and consent doesn't equal accurate. What matters is the data, not the majority

slightly_unhinged and Ender Sai like this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Marking the 10 year anniversary of the first color/3D photos of Mars taken Jan. 14, 2004 by the Mars Express, the Planetary Science and Remote Sensing Group at Freie Universit├Ąt Berlin have compiled photos to create an animated fly-through of the Kasei Valles floodplain:

http://www.esa.int/spaceinvideos/Videos/2014/01/The_floodwaters_of_Mars

Rumor has it they plan to populate said animated fly-through with womprats and a shooting range as part of their next project.

CloneUncleOwen and VadersLaMent like this.
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It's amazing that we have the technology to fly a camera all the way to Mars to take a ton of photos and then compile all those photos into a beautiful, breathtaking video and yet my stupid wi-fi won't play it without buffering. [face_plain]

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  9. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Jul 13, 2008
    I like this theory because the metrics are more topologically interesting compared to the old one. I've decided to call it the "Muh open sets" approach to physics evaluation.

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It's not that there are no black holes, it's that the event horizons work differently (according to his new model). It slightly changes what hawking radiation is. In this new model, nothing being absorbed is lost forever. Instead, everything will eventually be radiated out.

It's not as big a deal as the media is making it to be.

Ghost likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    His work on this latest thing have not been peer reviewed.

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm not sure there is anything to peer review yet. He's only presenting a hypothesis. Only after experiments/observation will there be naything to peer review.

The reason this is getting media coverage is because it's Stephen Hawking.

Ender Sai likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Yes, but science! Proves all the things, as I understand it. Which I do.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's been submitted and, having read it, I'm about 99.9% sure this will pass review. As Vivec mentioned, it's basically a formal submission of a hypothesis - it's essentially "Hey, what if we tried THIS metric? Mitebcool. And I think it would handle that issue mentioned in [1]."

Saintheart, Lord Vivec and Ender Sai like this.
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I like Hawking. Most everyone does. These past couple of years there has been a special on SCI about him. The rest of his peers are not impressed anymore. But he is obviously legit and he will get reviewed. We shall see.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    There's... Nothing to see. It's not even a controversial claim, the real problem was already published by a different physicist.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I briefly read about the firewall but indulged no further.

20. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
  21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  24. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    For Nye to go and bring fact and logic based arguments to a table located on Ham's turf is nothing short of a waste of time. Throngs of nincompoops and other embarrassing Americans will no doubt be there in full force to boo him into oblivion whenever they don't have their fingers in their ears. As far as normal people are concerned...if they rally together to bring a cheering section for Bill, will they have to pay admission to Ham's institution of obstinate idiocy? This obviously only fuels the great leaps backward the guy is trying to get humanity to make.

And what about watching the debate? Where are broadcast revenues going to end up? How much more publicity will this generate for Ham? Are the Westboro Baptists gonna show up too? Bill Nye should just release a statement saying something to the effect of "I don't waste my time arguing with idiots" or use the playing chess with a pigeon analogy, and go and enjoy some super bowl commercials. I really think he's giving too much of himself to a demographic of people who aren't worth the lumps of prehistoric frog **** their cars run on.

25. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I played chess with a pigeon once. It pooped on my rook.