main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Not yet, no.

Edit: To clarify further, foldable screens have been A Thing(TM) at trade shows for a few years now, but the pricing still isn't there yet. So it kind of seems like Samsung is jumping the gun to try and force their way out of second (really third) place.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    What do you think / what would you pay for a tablet / phone hybrid?

I know I had a tough time trying to justify the purchase of the iPhone XR, but once the Apple Store had that sale where they gave me $150 for my 4 year old iPhone 6, I knew that would probably be the best time to pull the trigger and upgrade.

3. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm not totally sure what the ceiling on a reasonable price for most folks is but I suspect it's like $700 based on what models sell when (I'm going largely off CNet observations). In general the phone market has been slowing down, possibly because battery replacement is a thing now, and I don't think there's a huge market willing to drop two grand on the first folding phone in that situation.

Edit: Also, lol, I just noticed in that Huawei article that Samsung is actually first in the smartphone market, so I guess they just want to stake a claim on innovation.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Master_Lok and Lord Vivec like this.
  5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Master_Lok and dp4m like this.
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Something something fries in a box with condiments dispensed based on radioactive decay something something Schrödinger's catsup.

Master_Lok and dp4m like this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I was thinking along the lines of Schrodinger's Veal (since that's the ingredient least likely to make it into a meatball these days!)... but yours is better, as always...

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Scientists restore some brain functions to dead pigs, killed in slaughterhouse hours before

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...tore-some-function-in-the-brains-of-dead-pigs

9. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    That is promising, horrifying, and ethically questionable in one neat convenient package.

Gives some cred to people who want to freeze their heads when they die i guess? Haven’t read about cryofreezing in some time.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    No one is ever really gone

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Chewgumma, Ramza and 3sm1r like this.
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And.... we get closer to the Zombie Apocalypse even more.

12. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Brainnnnnns.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Fascinating, but also vaguely creepy.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh... not really, the underlying irony of cryofreezing is that even if we figured out a way to bring severed heads back from the dead, the freezing and unthawing process would do a lot more damage on top of "mere" death (whatever those scare quotes can even remotely imply).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Lordban likes this.
  15. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Yep. We're looking at quite a bit more small-scale damage and destructuration through the freezing and then unfreezing process...

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The second and third coming!

18. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Uhhhh, dont let them near any apple trees.

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    what if they freeze-dry the heads?

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    New theory for Dark Matter... magnetic monopoles
    https://phys.org/news/2019-06-candidate-dark.amp

VadersLaMent and Iron_lord like this.
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Nikolai Kardashev 1932 to 2019

Russian astrophysicist and SETI pioneer Nikolai Kardashev passed away on August 3, 2019. Known for the Kardashev scale of extraterrestrial civilizations, in 1963 he conducted the first Soviet search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) by examining the quasar CTA-102 for signs of a technological civilization. In the following year, Kardashev organized the first Soviet conference on communication with extraterrestrial intelligence (CETI) at Byurakan Observatory in Armenia. Also in 1964, Kardashev proposed a scale that now bears his name, which is used for classifying extraterrestrial civilizations in terms of their energy use. Civilizations ranked on the Kardashev Scale range from Type I civilizations capable of using the energy resources of a single planet, to Type II civilizations that use the full energy of a star, to Type III civilizations that have access to the energy of an entire galaxy.

In 1971, along with other Soviet astronomers and American Carl Sagan, Kardashev organized a Soviet-American conference on CETI, also held at Byurakan Observatory. Kardashev became a corresponding member of the USSR Academy of Sciences in 1976, and in 1994 he became a full member of the Russian Academy of Sciences. A decade later, he was awarded the Demidov Prize for his work in astrophysics.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    So I did a bit of reading to see what their study was (I don't have access to Nature grrr). As you know, the farther away something is in space, the older it is because light takes time to get here. Astrophysicists have been studying the farthest observable galaxies to see what star formation was like in the early universe. Based on current studies of those galaxies, scientists determined an average rate for star formation.

However, in this study, they've been using a new technique (looking at different, harder to detect wavelengths of light) and have found galaxies far away that weren't seen before. These galaxies being super far away are from the early universe as well. The issue is that these galaxies have a lot more stars and have a way higher star formation rate, way higher than the models created from the previous paragraph

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Okay, but what does that functionally mean other than around galaxy formation and/or the early universe... any implications on things like the Big Bang, or any of the fundamental universal forces? Or is it just a generalized modeling change?

25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    As far as I know it doesn't have any change regarding the fundamental forces or the big bang itself. This really just has to do with modeling star formation in early universe galaxies. It also has good prospects for Galaxy detection technologies.

dp4m likes this.