main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    It is, however, still I'd suggest more likely that this is, indeed, another process that we are not yet aware of. There's something exciting about a discovery of something that is not explained by our current understanding (which this is, if the measurements are accurate), but there are a lot of spots where our current understanding may be incomplete. The key point is this:
    our possibilities are more realistically "life in a form we don't currently really understand is on Venus" or "some other process that is not biological is there that we currently don't understand". The latter can cover a lot more parameter space, and the Discussion leads off with acknowledging the lack of information. They would be remiss if they hadn't talked about this as a possibility, but that doesn't make it the most likely one, even if it's the only possibility that's more formulated at this point.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Not gonna lie "Is there life on Venus?" just doesn't fit the meter.

3. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I don't even understand what that means.

Ghost likes this.
  4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh, it's a god-awful small affair.

Darth Punk and CairnsTony like this.
  5. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Sorry, I'm a little drunk and close to bed time, so I was a bit slow on the uptake!

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Probably not

One thing is certain: it definitely is due to an unknown chemical reaction. Some sort of chemistry, in some form, is occurring to produce these abundant phosphine molecules. But one thing is just as equally uncertain: this unknown chemical reaction could have one of multiple causes. It could easily be due to a geological process, a purely chemical process, or a biological process.

Although it could be any of those, in principle, betting that biology is the answer is like buying a single lottery ticket and expecting to hit the jackpot. If life is producing this phosphine, it has to somehow survive reacting with the sulfuric acid, and would require phosphine-producing microorganisms to be extraordinarily abundant and efficient. They would need to occupy the full volume of Venus’s temperate zone hazes, and operate near peak efficiency to account for this signal. It’s not impossible, but it’s an absolutely preposterous scenario.

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I hope it’s some of that “good” bacteria

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    People I trust who are usually highly skeptical when they read news headlines like this seem pretty astonished by this. Only time will tell.

But either way, I hope this makes the space community look to Venus again. It might be better to set up a colony floating in the skies of Venus than digging to make one on Mars. (Whenever we get around to doing that kind of thing).

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    IT'S WHERE COVID CAME FROM

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  11. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    It describes them as 'giant sperm'. Normally when I think of giant, I think of something that is likely to break bones if it falls on you.

12. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Scary

CairnsTony likes this.
  13. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000

14. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I knew you'd like it.

15. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    What? I was just being informative ;)

16. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Btw, Gonopores sounds like the title of a Stephen King book.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Or a Lovecraftian god of some kind..

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    The gyroscopic effect is one of the most counterintuitive classical phenomenon I have ever studied.
    It's cool though.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    No Phosphine

Results: We find that the 12th-order polynomial fit to the spectral passband utilised in the published study leads to spurious results. Following their recipe, five other >10 sigma lines can be produced in absorption or emission within 60 km/s from the PH3 1-0 transition frequency by suppressing the surrounding noise. Our independent analysis shows a feature near the PH3 frequency at a ~2 sigma level, below the common threshold for statistical significance. Since the spectral data have a non-Gaussian distribution, we consider a feature at such level as statistically unreliable that cannot be linked to a false positive probability.
    Conclusions: We find that the published 267-GHz ALMA data provide no statistical evidence for phosphine in the atmosphere of Venus.

3sm1r likes this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ... after 60 days of 2 hour treatments per day in a specialized chamber.

He also owns clinics where he has been pushing these treatments before this study. I'll be extremely skeptical until someone else can replicate the results.

Ghost and Lord Vivec like this.