main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Go then, there are other worlds than these." The Dark Tower series discussion;

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Anakin, Sep 3, 2003.

1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Lord of the Rings + The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly + Sliders = The Dark Tower

2. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Lord of the Rings + The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly + Sliders = The Dark Tower

Wow, that pretty much sums it up.

3. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    As I posted some time ago in this thread, I've been fascinated by the DT series for well over a decade now, and was excited when he was not only coming out with the 5th book, but the last three in the series, finishing it off.

I'm less than halfway through the seventh book, but I really feel that he lost his way with this story. I love the writing -- and he seems to have re-discovered his old voice with DT7 -- but DT5 and 6 were really long and meandering and I didn't like the direction the story took. And most people seem kind of disappointed with the lack of loose-ends-tying.

I loved the concept of the story and the first four books. It's too bad King decided he just had to finish this before he died and be damned to the trajectory he'd already established.

M. Scott

4. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I dont know if that's necassarily it, although I do believe that King looked at the series very differently after his accident.

5. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Vader, you have that kind of accident your whole perspective changes. I think him writing about so personally is his way of dealing. From Kingdom Hospital to DT7.

6. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Umm, yea, that's pretty much what I said.

7. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    lol sorry Vader. Just went back and re-read your post.

Note to self, don't try and post right after you come home from work. :)

8. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    Here's a great, if not slightly low budget (but still awesome), parody of The Dark Tower in flash:

dtcartoon.net

9. Darth_Skycrawler

Darth_Skycrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    I just finished Insomnia. It was a good tie-in book to the series. It started of pretty slow but it picked up steam about midway through.

It was a story about the Crimson King trying to kill Patrick Danville. I would recommend it if you are into the Dark Tower.

edit: great Link Jedi_Daniel. those cartoons are hysterical.

10. Loso_Fett

Loso_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    I finished 7, and thought it was great. Now I am reading IT, and everyonce in a while I recognize the DT tie ins. A very obvious one is the song of hte Turtel,then one not so obvious when I think Stan as a child is why he s IT so much because it offended him, he says somehting like "this isnt a universe where boys dont stay , (forgot what he says but stuff like where people can fly), and where roses sing." Just to let you know ;)

11. Grand_Duchess_Olga

Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Anyone ever read any books by Carl Hiaasen? He writes stories set in Florida. The plot for most of the books involves a every day Joe, who gets involved with a married woman. The married woman usually is either running away from her stupid/murdering/inconsiderate husband, and even though the hero of the story wasn't looking for sex in the first place (and is usally trying to talk sence into the woman) the hero and married woman have sex.

Well, you have to read at least one of Hiaasen's books, but the whole thing with Roland and that woman (forgot her name already) just reminds me of Hiaasen.

The only thing I don't like about the ending is that it seems things will come out right because Roland goes back and has the horn with him. So what will the result be when Roland gets back to the tower with the horn, this time? Ah well. I cried when Jake and Oye died. I felt Mordred just came out as a useless character. But I hardly put down the book. I wonder what King was trying to say when Roland wouldn't take Insomnia with him? Another meta statement? Or just, don't bother reading Insomnia, go out and walk or something.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I personally liked the series...SoS was prolly my least favorite. TDT was pretty good; I was a bit dissapointed in Flagg's death, and I'm not entirely sure how we were supposed to cheer the death of the Crimson King, when we've hardly see him do anything. Flagg on the other hand...

13. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, Flagg's death still bothers me to this day. Not that he was killed, but the way it was done. A pivotal character like him deserved a better fate than to be eat by friggin spider.

Oh, and speaking of Flagg, my Dad decided to re-read the entire series again and he just finished The Drawing of the Three the other day. Anyway, he pointed out that even as far back as DT2 Flagg is mentioned, albeit in passing. Its been so long since Id read it that Id completely forgotten about that. The two kids from Eyes of the Dragon are mentioned in the same paragraph, too.

Just thought Id mention it. :)

14. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Tara just finished DT7. She hated the ending :p

15. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Did she ? What exactly didnt she like about it ? Did the ending ruin the book for her ?

16. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Lot's of people seem to dislike the ending, considering it a cop out. Personally, i'm with King. I couldn't see it ending any other way.

17. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    I just finished it. I liked the way it ended.

18. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Me too. I may not have been in love with the ending but I agree with King when he says that its the 'right' ending.

19. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    About halfway through the Dark Tower, I somewhat suspected the way it would end, after all, King has said Ka is a wheel.

Still, I am left hanging as to whether or not Tower ever got his books back from the Doorway Cave. ;)

20. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Everything was fine with me. There are just two things I wish that were different.

1) I wished Mordred played a bit more pivotal role. He was born and hyped up a bit, and was taken out in the end rather quickly. Like he was just a write-off character.

2) ANd the big one....Flagg. Mordred shouldn't have killed him, Flagg should have gotten away just barely then followed after Roland. After Mordred dies, he should of followed more aggressively so that in the end, at the Dark Tower. Roland and Flagg could have faced off as Patrick tried to take on the Crimson King through his drawing capabilities.

And actually, come to think of it, I was disappointed that Susannah just left. She should have continued on. Victory or death, I say.

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I've never read a king book. Are they really worth his pay cheque or just overrated?

What is this Dark Tower / Gunslinger all about?

22. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    Did she ? What exactly didnt she like about it ? Did the ending ruin the book for her ?

No, it didn't ruin the entire book. But I don't think I want to reread the entire series again, knowing that Roland lives a curse of constantly seeking the Dark Tower. I thought the ending would be more "mystifying" then that. :p

23. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    A group of people are attempting to propose a Dark Tower comic book to Stephen King and his people. It looks awesome so far.

Clicky Clicky.

24. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    My Dad's actually re-reading the entire series. I just lent him Wizard and Glass a couple of days ago.

25. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    We just the DT5 trade paper in today. I love the cover it very colorful.