main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Go then, there are other worlds than these." The Dark Tower series discussion;

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Anakin, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    The first time I read through the series, I had a horrible time getting through Wizard and Glass... in fact, I all out hated it. I hated it so much, that I breezed through Wolves of the Calla. (Personally, the second time I read through the series, I loved all the books... mostly because I knew what to expect).

My girlfriend hated Wolves of the Calla, almost made her give up on the series. But she said she absolutely loved Song of Susannah. So yeah, I would say it picks up. You just have to have patience.

2. large_mammal

large_mammal Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2003
    Hang in there. For all of it's shortcomings it's an amazing series. I just finished my second time through 1-7 and it's even better when it's re-read.

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Even the last 3? Reread.

Books 5-7 were a serious plunge IMO

4. large_mammal

large_mammal Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2003
    This is stupid long...

I too was a little disappointed with them at first.
    But after re-reading them in order (without any year-long gaps in-between - like i did the first time) I sort of got a whole new appreciation of the last 3.
    I know it's hard to defend these without sounding like an "apologist" but IMO the biggest problem people seem to have with books 5-7 it that it's really easy to get hung up on all of the "Calla speak" and the insane explosion of metaphysics.

SPOILERS!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF SPOILERS!!!
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

My Initial Problems with the 2nd Half of the Series (5-7):

Book 5 - When I first finished WotC it left a horrible aftertaste.
    I was upset that Roland & Co. picked up that stupid way of speaking. I was upset that most of the book was focused on one location. I was upset that Roland (IMO at the time) was turning into a big wuss. And another personality for Susannah?! Lightsabers, sneetches and Dr. Doom. Pfffft.
    Book 6 - SoS, I felt, was even worse.
    I was p*ssed that entire ka-tet is running seperate story threads time hopping all over that place. I was still iffy about King intrducing himself as a character. There wasn't near enough time spent with Jake. And I was just plain sick of about everything that had to do with Susannah and Mia about halfway through the book.
    Book 7 - TDT made me so angry I slammed the book closed in anger more than once. Where to start?
    Flagg's death? Eddie's? Jake's? OY'S?!!!! (They were supposed to make it to the TOWER D@MMIT! I know more about these characters that most of the members of my family!) The wasted character of Mordred. Patrick Danville dropping in from nowhere. Susannah bailing on Roland. The "alternate universe" Jake & Eddie. Roland's Loop.

What I realized on my re-reading of the 2nd Half of the Series (5-7):
    Book 5:
    The Speaking: this is no different than when Roland, Cuthbert and Alain were in Mejis. They also picked up the Mejis dialect. Then I thought about it, I do the same thing when surrounded by a group of people with a different culture than my own. I guess in some kind of subconcious effort to assimilate. It also speaks volumes to the fact that Roland was not only a knight/warrior but also a diplomat. Speaking in a dialect/language/accent of the people in an effort to put them at ease. I realize they speak this way for the last 3 books, but those last three books encompass only about 3 weeks worth of time. They'd still be speaking that way out of habit. (Case In Point - Know any idiots that still like to speak Snoop Dog-izzle? That crap's over a year old...) The lightsabers, sneetches and Dr. Doom, I now find to be great forshadowing of the thinning of the worlds.
    The One Location: Once again, this was just another way of showing "This is what Gunslingers did before the world moved on. They help people who cannot help themselves and they stay til the job's done - No Matter What." The fact that they didn't abandon the Calla folk when they knew at any minute a beam could break... that was just phenominal.
    Roland's Slow Change: Most important aspect of the new books. I'll get to it at book 7.
    Book 6:
    I still find it a little difficult to defend this one but it's just a necessary read if you're going to try and make any sense of the whole Mia/Suze/Mordred/Roland/SpeakingDemon/CrimsonKing mess. (I'm fairly sure I have that situation figured out but I'm already typing too much as it is.) As far as King's self-introduction I think it was handled well and with humility. I was afraid he was going to make himself Gan or the Crimson King. As it is, he's admitting what his harshest critics (constant readers) have been complaining about. He's a lazy man who's scared of ****ing up the most important books of his career.
    And the Jake situation?: Well the cliffhanger they leave you on with him more than makes up for his lack of time in the book. I don't know about you, but I didn't realize I spent half of that book going "I hope Jake and Callahan are OK" then we find them - and they aren't -

5. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I agree with the idea that caring is what will ultimatly save him. There is something he did right on this quest that sets it apart from his others, which allowed him to reclaim the Horn of Eld(piece of his soul?). Also, am I the only one who wants to see another Dark Tower relatedd book? Something dealing with Travelling Jack and ...Damn what was his name? Old Crazy Black Dude. Them.

6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Speedy or Parkus I believe.

7. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    The first time I read through the series, I had a horrible time getting through Wizard and Glass... in fact, I all out hated it. I hated it so much, that I breezed through Wolves of the Calla. (Personally, the second time I read through the series, I loved all the books... mostly because I knew what to expect).

I read the first three books within a few days but Wizard and Glass took me more than a month, and it wasn't because it was long. [face_plain]

Actually, I think I'd like the book a bit more now that I've read the series all the way through.

8. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Yeah, it took me about that long, too. Usually I can cruise through a hundred pages a day, no problem, but with Dark Tower 5, I'm working on maybe five a day. :(

9. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/Conditional_Axe/DkTowerImg1.jpg]

HELLZ YEAH!!!

10. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Marvel has a couple art pages up as well on their main site. Looks decent- Maybe I'll pick it up.

11. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    It's a comic now!?! Awesome.

12. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    I have slightly mixed feelings for some reason. But mostly, I?m excited. Here?s what I got off thedarktower.net (which got off marvel.com):

As we reported yesterday, the rumors of a Dark Tower 8 graphic novel were false. Marvel's real project, which was announced early this morning, is actually a Dark Tower comic book series with new stories of Roland which take place sometime in between Wizard and Glass and the first Gunslinger. The press release, along with some concept art, are below...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    STEPHEN KING BREAKS NEW GROUND AT MARVEL WITH ORIGINAL COMIC SERIES BASED ON HIS EPIC THE DARK TOWER

New Comic Series Exploring the Origin of the Notorious Gunslinger Character Marks First Time Stephen King Has Produced Original Content for the Comic Book Format.
    Marvel Comics to Launch First Issue in April 2006.

NEW YORK ? World Fantasy Award-winning writer Stephen King, long acknowledged as the master of modern horror, and Marvel Comics join forces this spring to launch a ground-breaking new comic book series adapted from King's magnum opus, The Dark Tower.

The comic series will mark the first time Stephen King has produced original content for an ongoing comic book project. The series will expand the saga of King?s epic hero, Roland Deschain, whose quest to save the Dark Tower is captured in seven best-selling novels published over the course of twenty-five years. King?s unparalleled storytelling power will inform new stories that delve into the life and times of the young Roland, revealing the trials and conflicts that lead to the burden of destiny he must assume as a man, the last Gunslinger from a world that has moved on. The comics will work in conjunction with the novels, further supplementing and defining the saga?s mythology under the direction of the acclaimed author himself.

"As a lifelong fan of Marvel comic books, and as an adult reader who?s seen comics "come of age" and take their rightful place in the world of fantasy and science fiction, I?m excited to be a part of Roland's new incarnation," said Stephen King.

The series will be illustrated by Eisner-award winning artist Jae Lee.

King continued, "I love Jae Lee's work, and I think this is going to be a dynamite partnership. Frankly, I can?t wait."

The first issue is scheduled to debut in April, 2006 with a hard cover collection of the first 6 issues released Holiday, 2006. Fans will start seeing promotional items ? which feature more info in the series ? beginning this December. Watch for more info as it becomes available at www.marvel.com/king

More images:

[image=http://www.marvel.com/publishing/stories/king/DarkTower_p01_col2.jpg]

[image=http://www.marvel.com/publishing/stories/king/DarkTower_p02_col2.jpg]

[image=http://www.marvel.com/publishing/stories/king/DarkTower_p0304_col2.jpg]

13. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    This is awesome news!!

14. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    I don't read comics. But the prospect of maybe seeing Jerhico Hill rendered in stunning artwork makes me want these so bad.

15. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I just read this on AICN. Freakin' sweet! Great artwork too.

16. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, I dont read comics anymore, either, but the prospect of getting alot of the blanks filled in between The Gunslinger and Wizard and Glass is enough to get me to pick these up when they come out. Too bad theyre not out until April, though.

17. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999

Stephen and Marvel have decided to push back the launch of the Dark Tower comic books to 2007. "Given the size of the project and all the creative talent involved, I want to give the Marvel series all the room to breathe it needs and deserves," said Stephen. "I've got so much else going on in 2006 - two novels coming out, CELL and LISEY'S STORY, and the work with John Mellencamp on 'Ghost Brothers of Darkland County.' The Marvel series is going to be a blast, and I want to have the time to enjoy it."

The 1st issue of the yet-to-be-named first arc of the Dark Tower comic series will be shipping in February 2007. The last issue of this six-issue series will be shipping in July 2007. The first hardcover collection will be shipping in October 2007.

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I've never read any of these books, though I always wondered if King was any good at fantasy...

19. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Sucks that the comics are delayed another year. Ill probably wait for the collection since its only a few months after the last one will be released. Id rather read it all at once, anyway.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Unlocked and upped, by request. :)

21. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    stephenking.com says the first issue of the comic series should be out Feb 7.

22. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I just bought the paperback editions of books six and seven. I plan on finally reading the whole thing. I started with the first four but got sidetracked several times. Hopefully it's as good as advertised.

23. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    the gunslinger series will come out this month here. i'm very excited over the visuals, knowing nothing of the story.

24. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Picked up the preview sketchbook today - art fits the story perfectly. Speaking of which, from what I can tell the story is an adaption of Roland's story from Wizard & Glass about him, Alain, and Cuthbert in Mejis. While I'd prefer an original story (like, say, about Jericho Hill) I'll take this as it was one of my favorite parts of the series.

Official Marvel Website

EDIT: And here is an AWESOME trailer for the series.

25. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Covers for the first 3 issues:

[image=http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/wild_karrde/Dark%20Tower/DT1.jpg]
    Issue #1

[image=http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/wild_karrde/Dark%20Tower/DT2.jpg]
    Issue #2

[image=http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/wild_karrde/Dark%20Tower/DT3.jpg]
    Issue #3