main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.0%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

40.0%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.0%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

40.0%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.0%
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I see Gregg Popovitch has once again voiced his vehement displeasure towards Trump.:)

2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I watched two docos on Nike/MIchael Jordan this week. One Man and his Shoes and The Story of Air Max. Any one catch these?

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Wes Unseld died today.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Crazy talent, vastly underappreciated. Rookie MVP - something we'll likely never see again

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    I lived in Sacramento for 25 years and can tell you that this guy was one of the most rude, unprofessional, and narcissistic sports talk personalities you could ever be made to listen to (and that's saying something in that particular industry). Not sure if I approve of his firing for this particular offense but I absolutely 100% believe Chris Webber when he says it was an open secret in the Kings locker room that Napear was racist.

Inexplicably (or not) he was also rather popular, so I expect there will be some anger in the region, but good riddance, I say.

In terms of Sacramento area sports talk radio drama, though, nothing will ever top when it became clear why former Major Leaguer-turned-morning-show-host F.P Santangelo had spent the previous months fiercely insisting on The Rise Guys that the Mitchell Report shouldn't name names...….because he ended up being one of the names on it. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  7. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    Stephen Jackson is being interviewed on Cuomo right now on CNN. Apparently he was an actual personal friend of George Floyd.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

20-years ago today; that comeback defined by that alley-oop. ****ing tremendous.

Juliet316, DarthIntegral and tom like this.
  9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    League is getting close to marking their return in late July. 22 team playoffs. Players to be quarantined in a hotel and not supposed to leave other then play golf or go to an outdoor restuarant. No way that is going to be enforced especially if players want to go speak at a demonstration protest which yes I fully expect to be going on come the end of summer.

DarthTunick likes this.
  10. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    Will always be a fascinating and unanswerable question as to how NBA history would have unfolded had the Lakers not come back. Aside from the long-term ramifications on the Lakers dynasty, either Pippen or Reggie Miller gets a ring as the best guy on a team.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Scottie wasn't the best player on that team, Sheed was. Steve Smith was probably second.

Best player on those Portland teams doesn't mean as much anyway, as they relied on depth over star power.

JediVision and tom like this.
  12. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    So this is my reaction:

So Florida is in a bad situation, yet theme parks are opening. I saw footage of Universal yesterday with only passholders and it looked pretty crowded. Yeah, face masks and social distancing, plus cleaning rides between passengers. I don't know. At the very least what kind of message would you be sending to your kids if you went to a theme park but you can't send them to school like normal? And in a little less than 2 months the NBA expects to open for business in Florida? Doesn't sound like the safest place to me, by far, even if you think you are going to keep your players quarantined from everyone/everything. Is no one going to clean their rooms? I have so many questions. Perhaps they are better left unanswered.

Along with:

The Wizards were the 9th seed in the east, how did I not know that. Oh probably because I haven't looked at the NBA standings in 3 months!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I think it just delays the inevitable; from a Laker partisan perspective, had they lost the '02 WCF is a much more interesting mental exercise for me to do.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Regrettably @Runjedirun the health argument really has lost a lot of it's impact this past week given how many thousands are out protesting (justified) yes that are not practicing social distancing. Players
    Hotel staff and everyone inside the "bubble" will be tested regularly. Compare to pretty much any other occupation, they are pretty at low risk especially if anyone pops positive the team sits which will makes things even more interesting. I hate to say this but I really think the mass protests/gatherings and how long they gone on for will have a dramatic impact on sports and eventual school returns. It sucks as I am big believer in your first amendment rights to free speech and assemble peacefully (the rioting/looting is different obviously but we all know that) but COVID does not care. And I know many protesters are wearing masks but even if everyone wears a mask you are only looking at best about a 50% reduction in cases. And that is if you people are not in close contact for very long, not when your standing next to someone shoulder to shoulder hours at at time.

I have no answers to any really. I just pray to God that I am wrong and we get lucky with all of this but I don't think we are and just hope we prepare better then we were in the spring.

15. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    There's a non-trivial chance they break the Shaq-Kobe thing up if they had lost, isn't there?

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    No, the opposite; Kings upset them, lights a new fire underneath the two, and perhaps they win titles in '03, '04, etc.

17. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    No, I was referring to if they had blown the Blazers series.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  19. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    ****ing giddy about the NBA returning. It seems like the model of a big quarantine at Disney is the best of all the major sports, and forcing all the teams to hang out the entire time is an interesting/hilarious wrinkle. I just wonder how JR would've found a way to sneak out.

Also it locks Cavs into top(pin) lottery odds

DarthTunick likes this.
  20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Don't worry-- Cleveland is still paying the bill for being able to pick LeBron #1 all those years ago.

Luke02 likes this.
  21. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I've read that 8 times and still don't get it

DarthIntegral likes this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Embiid and Westbrook living in the same hotel for MONTHS is going to end in biblical level disaster. There will be a 30 For 30 about it someday.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Long as it doesn't end with anybody stabbing anybody with scissors.

PCCViking and Luke02 like this.
  24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It means you still have to experience some bad luck in order to pay back the good luck necessary to pick first and get LeBron.

Luke02 likes this.
  25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I thought we paid in advance?